Can a scammer reset my broadband connection?

3 REPLIES 3
peteispo
Team Player

So I get a call from someone claiming to be from TalkTalk - the number they came in on was 01542333756 (probably fictional). Lady with an indian/asian accent says my connection is going to be cut off in 30 minutes because my IP address has been compromised (I feel that's a pretty meaningless statement)

So I hung up.

Almost immediately my boradband and internet lights on my router (I'm sat right next to it) went off.

That's a spooky coincidence, so is there some signal that can be sent on a phone line that triggers a router to reset the connection?

Of course, the router happily reset itself and came back up, otherwise I wouldn't be posting, but it could scare a less-informed person (programming and system admin is my job)

I have a feeling I've seen this before, but not for a while and it's pretty uncommon: most of the scam calls don't do this

Community Team

Hi 

There is no way that a scammer can cause a drop in the connection, It has to be a coincidence. 

Ive checked your line and there are no issues being picked up, 

If you can recall the number report it on our check and report site. 

Regards

James5300
Team Player

No they would have to be a superstar hacker

peteispo
Team Player

I think it may have been down to a failing ADSL filter: when I put the phone down on other calls the ASDL would drop too - it's just that the scam calls were often during the day when I was sat near the router and could see the effect.
I replaced the filter that the phone was connected to and that seems to have stopped the problem.