Check and Report - what is this ?

10 REPLIES 10
Weevie
Enlightened One

According to the "CHECK and REPORT" section of this forum....

"Don’t know the number? Then head over to our Scam Form where you can report a scammer without knowing their phone number"

How are we supposed to report a number - when we don't know the calling number ?

Whether it is a fake number or genuine ....

When you select the SCAM FORM link above - it just takes you to the normal TT reporting form - which requires you to input the number !!

Gondola
Community Star

Weevie wrote: Don’t know the number? Then head over to our Scam Form where you can report a scammer without knowing their phone number. How are we supposed to report a number?

@Weevie With the Scam Form you're reporting a scammer with as much detail as you have.  If you don't have the number then leave that part of the form empty.

If you have the number - reporting that is done on the new Check and Report page.

Gondola - Community contributor

To appreciate my help . . . If I offered a solution Best Answer

Community Team

Hi 

As gondola has said, just leave that part out. 

Weevie
Enlightened One

@OCE_Arne wrote:

Hi 

As gondola has said, just leave that part out. 

Right - so this won't help at all with the kind of calls that we have been getting

Silent calls from a fake number ?

Gondola
Community Star

Hi @Weevie

Silent calls from a fake number can be reported on Check and Report.

Just tick the silent calls tick box and it's useful to add the time of the call in the freeform comments.

Weevie
Enlightened One

@Gondola wrote:

Hi @Weevie

Silent calls from a fake number can be reported on Check and Report.

Just tick the silent calls tick box and it's useful to add the time of the call in the freeform comments.

There is NO "silent call" tick box, that I can see :

How did you come in contact with the scam?
If you received a call, what number did they call from?

Date of scam

Time of Scam
What company did they claim to be from?
What was their contact reason?
What website did they direct you to?
Code you were asked to enter to a site?

In any case - if I did start to report every silent call that I receive - what can be done to trace fake numbers ?

Gondola
Community Star

...Silent calls from a fake number can be reported on Check and Report (Click here).

Check and Report.jpgCheck and Report a Silent Call

Gondola
Community Star

@Weevie

Well done.

Community Manager

Hi all,

I can see @Gondola has been helping here and is correct, we're actually making a move more towards the new check and report feature however in this initial phase we've created it so you can report a known number. The form on our help site is more for if you get a call but the number is unknown, you can still report it to us. 

Eventually we'll be trying to move all the functionality from the static form into check and report but for now C&R is all about when you have a number and the scam form is for when you don't. 

Appreciate it can be confusing have the two but once we've finished our soft launch and got C&R is tip top shape we'll focus on the next phases of the tool to keep the fight on the scammers and to help keep our customers safer. 

Stephen 

traycat
Chatterbox

I have just received a call from 07547023068 advising that TalkTalk is about to disconnect my internet as it has been compromised.  I hung up.

traycat
Chatterbox

Scam call from 07547023068 saying my internet has been compromised and will therefore be disconnected.  I hung up.