Do scammers use account holder voice recognition

ANSWERED
7 REPLIES 7
Sprintblue
Conversation Starter

Could you confirm if the scammers are attempting to call TT and pass themselves off as the account holder using the information that was previously leaked onto the internet?

The reason for asking the above question, was that I was offered to setup VR.

Thanks

Fibre large 🙂
Donnam
Head of Scam Prevention
Solution

Hi @Sprintblue

Thanks for your question.

We are not aware of scammers contacting TalkTalk perpetrating to be the account holder.

Earlier this year, TalkTalk become the first UK business outside of the banking sector to replace passwords with voice biometrics, and to date over 600,000 customers have taken up the safer, more secure service.

This provides a more seamless and secure path for customers to gain service and support. Rather than stating passwords and personal details, enrolled customers can now use their voice as their password, simply saying: “With TalkSafe, my voice is my password.”

I would recommend next time you contact TalkTalk you sign up for this service.

More information can be found here  Voice Biometrics with Nuance.

I hope this answers your question.

Donna
Sprintblue
Conversation Starter
Thanks Donna for the reply.

Fibre large 🙂
Pedro1874
Conversation Starter
Is it possible for a scammer to record my voice and then use it to gain access to TT and my account?
Sprintblue
Conversation Starter

I doubt, unless they are sitting next to you 🙂

Fibre large 🙂
Donnam
Head of Scam Prevention

Hi @Pedro1874

As @Sprintblue mentions, unless the scammer is sat next to you but more importantly asking you to the phrase "At TalkTalk my voice is my password".

The reason we ask for this phrase is to prevent scammers from recording voices and use for fraudulent purposes.

Hope this helps.

Donna
Hopefulalways
Conversation Starter

I am hoping that this post is still active.  My reason for posting is.

Last week following a complete loss of broadband service.

Before being asked, my phone service was fine

So Iand contacted TT via 0345 etc.  I used the Passphrase authentication, and I was passed through to a call handler.

After some minutes of talking to her about the problem causing No BB service. The adviser began calling me by another name first name.

I asked her to repeat my name she did, and also she used the surname of the individual.  

What is a Major and serious concern is that somehow MY voice had brought up this other individuals account to her on TT system.

This happened again on contacting TT during the next few days.

It took ages for me to start proving I was who I said I was to her, the good old fashioned way. Defeating the whole idea of the Passphrase

YES, I agree it is an excellent way for authentication when it correctly Works, and it had done up to that occassion. In my case.

I was given an excuse just made up, by someone thinking I was going to believe it.  If I had I would have been stupid, and I will be happy to explain 

The passed of with a feeble unrelatedwhen an OCE comes back online.

I will also know who else has experience this, as I am going to raise a new Post specifically on what happened to me last week.

With the Voice Passphrase Authentication.

My BB service isn’t resolved, even after a BT Openreach engineer yesterday, that’s anothr thing and I’ll take that up separately, as a lot of members to to be seriously affectef with Router failings or very slow BB.

I won’t add in any more to this post.

I hope a minimun of an OCE will take my issue on when I raise it.

Best wishes everyone.

Hopefulalways
Conversation Starter
Apologies if this is under Scam protection, as I see it that my problem also could be of a similar nature.
All I know is that something serious has gone wrong withing TT. Specifically on voice authentication IN MY case, I can only speak on...