Dodgy call

11 REPLIES 11
Richard Banks
Team Player

Hi I have just taken a call on my landline from somebody with a foreign accent who appeared to be pretending to be from Talk Talk.  They stated that my internet and phone would be terminated from midnight because of a security breach. They rattled off my my talk talk account number but I refused to confirm this with them. I asked how I could verify who they where and requested a switchboard number I could call them back on and the line went dead. Talk talk have you been compromised again, how do they have my account number and landline? What the hell is going on?

oldcity
Team Player

Hi, I have just had two calls where he quoted my account number and I told him it was not my number, the callers id was unavailable. he said I had issues with my router how will we know which are genuine he to hung up on me.

ferguson
Community Star

• TalkTalk will never use your TalkTalk account number to prove a call is genuine.

http://help2.talktalk.co.uk/scam-phone-calls

Richard Banks
Team Player
So explain to me how the hell did they get my phone and account numbers? Reassure me that you are not at breach of contract and you can protect my account, before I find a better provider...
ferguson
Community Star

Your phone number can be got from many sources, your account number less so. You can contact TalkTalk directly about that particular point if you wish, I don't work for them. The important thing to bear in mind is that scammers are operating on an industrial scale, so follow the guidance in the link earlier and from any other organisations that may be open to compromise such as banks etc.

Richard Banks
Team Player
Yes, I've followed the guidance thank you. I'm just a bit miffed that talk talk seem to go to ground and don't seem to accept responsibility or get back in touch when one complains.
David44
Wizz Kid

" I asked how I could verify who they where and requested a switchboard number I could call them back on and the line went dead". 

A word of advice never ask a suspected scammer for a phone number to call them back always get the phone number from another reliable source. If by chance you meant "extension number" to the best of my knowledge I don't think TalkTalk use them (I've never been given one when I've been asked to call back).

Regarding TalkTalk being "compromised again" it is just as likely they still have your details from previous hackings.

This is a suggestion: if in doubt say to them "you must be a scammer if you were from TalkTalk you'd know I went to another ISP some time ago". (or words to that effect)

David44
Wizz Kid

"he said I had issues with my router"

If it happens again tell him you're decorating your hall and unplugged it - say you'll plug it back in when you've finished - thank him for his concern and ring off.:smileyhappy:

oldcity
Team Player

Well so far today I have had four calls from unavailable number, and each one put the phone down when I answered, starting to get fed up now.

Gondola
Community Star

I really like a lot of the techniques mentioned here and elsewhere for dealing with scam callers. 

However, many customers feel intimidated and not strong enough to handle the caller effectively. Some cold callers are seriously hostile and abusive if they feel you haven't taken the bait and no person deserves to be on the receiving end of that.

I simply let the call go to voicemail if I don't recognise the number.  Calls from a hospital, for example, that are number withheld will always have a message left and you can always pick up during the message.  Calls from cold calling machines will usually ring off and there's a chance the number will get deleted from their list.

I feel that sometimes calls are made just to see if someone answers. Someone does, the caller hangs up, the number is marked as good for selling on target scam lists.

And there are phones that screen the caller before putting the call through.  It's also good to know that TalkTalk are considering the feasibility of a phone call screening service to screen out cold calls and scam calls.

Gondola - Community contributor

To appreciate my help . . . If I offered a solution Best Answer

Woo58
Participant

Had one of these calls yestersay and today saying that my internet would stop working in two days. Told the nice foriegn lady that that my internet provider would not contact me directly so this must be a scam then cut the call. By coincidence had a email from Talktalk saying they were doing some work on the broadband. Are these related or just conicidence?

David44
Wizz Kid

"By coincidence had a email from Talktalk saying they were doing some work on the broadband. Are these related or just conicidence?"

It's always difficult to tell - the real scammers like it when there is some coincidence that helps them appear more convincing. Where just being informed of something I don't suppose there's any real need for concern - I also don't think TalkTalk mind too much if genuine calls are treated with suspicion.