Fed Up With Scam Calls

ANSWERED
93 REPLIES 93
CitizenX
Team Player

Hi, I'm fed up with getting scam calls from people pretending to be from TalkTalk. I sometimes get 2 or 3 a day and I have to run down 4 flights of stairs to answer. They've been going on for what must be over a year. This is what I've tried so far:

1. Last number blocking - not much use as the majority of scam calls don't have numbers which can be blocked.

2. Withheld number barring - doesn't work on these calls either.

3. Phoned the Police and got through to the fraud prevention unit but they didn't seem to actually do anything apart from give me a reference number.

4. Tried swearing (fun!), shaming, hanging-up, pretending to go along with the scam to waste their time - some of these were enjoyable but haven't worked AFAICT.

I'm thinking of cancelling my landline and switching to a mobile. I would do this right now, but I'm worried that my mobile will inevitably (due to murphy's law) have a flat battery if I ever have a fire 😞

Can't these calls be blocked at the system level by TalkTalk? It seems ridiculous to me that I'm expected to just put up with being contacted by criminals on a virtually daily basis.

Community Team

Hi,

Nuisance calls are a major problem for all providers at the moment, and we are looking at ways to tackle these.  Last month alone, over 70 million numbers were blocked across our network, and this number is growing all the time.  These scammers spoof numbers and these are constantly changing.  Scam calls are big business, and in some cases there are entire call centers dedicated to making these scam calls.  It is difficult for the police and fraud teams to act as a lot of these scam callers are in countries that do not comply with any communication laws or regulations.

The only solution that I'm aware of that can work nearly 100% of the time is for a hardware call blocker. These can be purchased from sites such as amazon, and can be configured to only allow certain numbers through, numbers from either a list you pre-program, or with settings such as to only allow calls from certain area codes etc.

Thanks

Karl. 

CitizenX
Team Player

Thank you for your help Karl. I'll have a look at hardware call blockers.

Community Team
Solution

Hi,

You can try our new Callsafe product.  This will screen calls for you and stop the vast majority of scam calls ever reaching you. In addition you can also maintain your own block or allow lists of numbers that you wish to block or allow through.

You can select the Callsafe option within My Account.

Karl

Highlighted
Community Manager

Hi @CitizenX,

Did you manage to capture the numbers you've been called from? If so we can log them for investigation and to be added to the block list which as Karl suggested millions are already being blocked.

To that point if you have their phone number you could use last caller barring to block them. 

Also have you considered changing your number? if no guarantee that you wont get scammed on the new number but if its getting to the point you cannot handle it, this could be an option. 

Stephen 

CitizenX
Team Player

Hi @StephenF,

Most of the calls have no number so cannot be blocked with last caller barring. I've blocked most of the ones I could so you could look on my LCB list, assuming you have access to it?

I suppose I could change my number but I assume I'm just as likely to get scam calls on any number - they'd probably be worse!

According to an email I received from TalkTalk, I wasn't one of the customers whose details were hacked.

davep
Enlightened One

If I was in your situation, I probably wouldn't get down the 4 flights in time.

As I've recommended on several occasions, the BT8500 phone solves almost all the problems.  Automated dialling cuts off before it rings, only had one who got through in 6 months and that wasn't necessarily a scam.  Google the phone and have a read what people say.   They are not cheap, but if you are prepared to pay for a 2 or 3 pack, then you can have one at the top of the stairs as well.

Homebase advertise a BT6500 as a call blocker and it is on their website at £10, but as with other things they have advertised it was not available, though it may be somewhere and if near you may be worth trying, though if I remember correctly, it isn't quite as good as the 8500, again i think this has now been updated - and up-priced.

Community Manager

@CitizenX wrote:

Hi @StephenF,

Most of the calls have no number so cannot be blocked with last caller barring. I've blocked most of the ones I could so you could look on my LCB list, assuming you have access to it?

I suppose I could change my number but I assume I'm just as likely to get scam calls on any number - they'd probably be worse!

According to an email I received from TalkTalk, I wasn't one of the customers whose details were hacked.

Hi @CitizenX,

If the number is withheld, you could benefit from "anonymous caller reject" this will stop any calls getting to you where the caller isnt presenting their phone number. The only downside is that if "for example" a friend or family member also withheld number then they would have to dial 141 before calling your number so they can call you.

I personally use and find it effective. 

Stephen 

CitizenX
Team Player

Hi @StephenF,

I've already got Anonymous Caller Reject activated on my account (maybe you missed my original question?) but it doesn't work on these scam calls - they don't have a number which Last Caller Barring can work with but don't get rejected by Anonymous Caller Reject either. There should be an explanation on TalkTalk's HELP pages telling us that both ACR and LCB fail on some calls.

CitizenX
Team Player

Hi @davep,

Thank you for your suggestion. I had a look at that BT8500 but it's a bit expensive and I've got no spare sockets in my hallway to plug the base unit into. I'll probably try one of those cheaper line powered call blockers.

davep
Enlightened One

@CitizenX wrote:

Hi @davep,

Thank you for your suggestion. I had a look at that BT8500 but it's a bit expensive and I've got no spare sockets in my hallway to plug the base unit into. I'll probably try one of those cheaper line powered call blockers.

the call blockers have come down significantly, as they were around the same price as the BT8500 when I looked.

Someone bought the refurb ones from here, single is not much more than the Amazon price for the call blocker.

http://www.telephonesonline.co.uk/landline-phones/cordless-phones/multi-handset-answerphone.html 

It's not much good if you haven't got a mains socket, though I run the input under a carpet and attached to a twin extension socket in a separate room.

That said, the 8500 uses the same technology, so your solution seems a good idea for your situation and will hopefully keep the calls down.

Good luck

Community Manager

@CitizenX wrote:

Hi @StephenF,

I've already got Anonymous Caller Reject activated on my account (maybe you missed my original question?) but it doesn't work on these scam calls - they don't have a number which Last Caller Barring can work with but don't get rejected by Anonymous Caller Reject either. There should be an explanation on TalkTalk's HELP pages telling us that both ACR and LCB fail on some calls.

Hi, 

Thanks for letting me know, i didnt realise these calls was still getting through.. I'll see what we can do to make our content clearer on this topic.

STephen 

penandnen
Popular Poster

There should be a main thread on here for reporting and discussing different types of scam calls Talktalk customers are getting.

!!!!! Hey Talktalk are you listening? !!!!

I'm also investigating effective call blockers but if Talktalk operated an effective system for reporting the problems customers are getting, there'd more chance of fixing it - No?

My call today was an Indian sounding bloke (and from the background noise he was in a call-centre) claiming he was a Talktalk engineer advising me there were too many errors on my line.

I let the patter run a bit but when I told him I'd log into my router and check - he hung up!

My issues with this call are:

1. Caller ID was "unavailable"

2. How did this guy know I was with Talktalk?

3 Why doesn't the Talktalk scan report service allow you to enter this type of call?

My contract is up with TT now and I'm decided to move to another provider.

CitizenX
Team Player

I'm bumping this thread because of something that just happened. I've not had any of these scam calls for almost a month and assumed that maybe I'd managed to block all callers or that TalkTalk had finally done something about it. Not so, my wife just got one of these calls. When she tried to block it, the TalkTalk Last Caller Blocking number was dead. Please explain, TalkTalk.

Incidentally, I didn't buy one of those blocking gadgets from Amazon as the price of about £36 seemed high, especially as I don't see why I should have to pay to fix a problem which TalkTalk should fix.

Anyway, just so you don't miss it, here's my complaint again: Your Last Number Blocking service is dead.

Lizzy
Conversation Starter

I am also sick of recieving scam calls from TalkTalk! I must recieve four per day I have tried everything to put them off.I am sorry but I don't see why TalkTalk customers should have to buy a new phone to block them.

James007007
Conversation Starter

01257 621672, called me a few times over the last few days. I looked up the number and discovered it originates from Lancashire. Today I answered the call and as suspected it was a Talktalk engineer with an Indian accent telling me my router is faulty and they are going to cut me off unless I go to my pc and enter, *********. I kept him chatting for a while and he eventually hung up. Next time I will explain I'm a Talktalk engineer, and I've just sent some software down the line to stop his scamming.....I'm not an engineer of course and the software wasn't sent, but they can't be sure about that, can they?

Scete1
Chatterbox

I am also fed up with thes scam calls from 'talktalk', what is annoying is they know my name so I tend to answer. I have had two in the last 15 minutes. Why can't someone do something about these calls. I blocked 'private calls' using Talktalk, then found genuine people eg. NHS, Greenflag etc. could not get through.

davep
Enlightened One

@dave p wrote:

As I've recommended on several occasions, the BT8500 phone solves almost all the problems.  Automated dialling cuts off before it rings, only had one who got through in 6 months and that wasn't necessarily a scam.  Google the phone and have a read what people say.   They are not cheap, but if you are prepared to pay for a 2 or 3 pack, then you can have one at the top of the stairs as well.

the answer to preventing calls getting through was in my post above.  You may also not be prepared to pay for one..........

Pedro1874
Conversation Starter

Heard this problem discussed on 5 live this morning.  BT are bringing in some system out to blacklist numbers.  They read out my text where I told them that in my experience with spoof numbers it is utterly pointless to block/blacklist a number.  I have been getting at least 3 a day since November when it started up again.  4 today all showing as a row of zeros on the screen.  I never bother to answer any more but 1471'd the last one and it was 23 numbers long!!

My question is that it is not OUR (the customer's)  fault that we have this pain/fraud problem.  It is TALKTALK'S fault for having such poor/cheapskate security that could be hacked and all our details stolen to be used against us and/or the employees in the call centre selling our details.  Amazing having call centres in one of the most corrupt countries on earth!!. How many poor vulnerable customers will be duped into letting hackers roam their computers?

How about TT providing us with personal blockers and special phones as it apparently cannot be done at source.  WHY CAN YOU NOT FIX THIS AT SOURCE?

Ozjock
Team Player

Hear. Hear.

The scam calls started again a couple of weeks ago (Has TalkTalk been hacked again?).

I invoked withheld number barring which forced them to use real(?) numbers and have subsequently been using the last call barring feature but they keep calling with different numbers.

When will TalkTalk provide us with an effective barring solution?

Are you listening Dido???