Fed Up With Scam Calls

ANSWERED
Highlighted
MikeyH
Wizz Kid

Maybe we should all send an email direct to Dido Harding.  *@#][!![]'#[@#]!*@talktalkplc.com.  If she gets enough emails, maybe the company will do something

Interesting that Talktalk have edited out Dido Hardings email address considering its freely available elsewhere on the web, anyway its dido dot harding at talktalkplc.com

Fibre Large Rocks (almost) as does my MacBook Pro - Speed is Life (Ask any Pilot)
stockman27
Conversation Starter

HI I have just noticed on the BBC web site that Talktalk are being targeted by scammers in India, what is worrying I have this happen to me in the last two weeks.

How it works you get a call from a bad speaking Asian, who says he is from Talktalk, ( they know your name and thatyou are a talktalk customer. ) They also know my wifes name , how they are doing this I dont know. 

They say your line have caused a problems with the talktalk router and this is causing them send error messages out from the Talk talk router. They call every 20 mins As I am a retired cisco certified enginner, I tried to have a game with them but at the slightest feeling they have been tumbled, they cut off. 

After two days of incessant calling every 20 mins I used the good old fashioned FO Anglo saxon phase that worked.

Just a word of warning to everybody, if you receive a call from a bad speaking Asian, and they want to get into your line, you can trick them into asking them what software you have etc but my word of advice is just to put the phone down. You can always call the number back which is a good indication that it’s a scammer as you will get NU usually.

What is troubling me, Talktalk have already been hacked, they know this, and somebody out there in India has sold our details onto a fraud company. WHY HASN’T TALK TALK Put up something on their main page to tell us about this this and warn the not so technical of us on what’s going on or leaving to people like me to warn you all, its not on.

I suggest that Talkt talk make a quick video on what a scam call looks and sounds like to help everybody on this community but I fear they have their corp interests at heart and worried if they admit they have been hit by scammers, this will frighten us more.

What the scammers are saying about your line causing problems with the talktalk router cannot happen, its not feasable. if any body want a technical explanation then please contact me. The very most that can happen is you machine  taken over and used to send out scam emails or DDOS but if you listen to what i have to say this wont happen.

Talktalk do something now and don’t leave it, until somebody loses a lot of cash.

Regards

John C

John C

Retired Telecoms Consultant- Engineer
James007007
Conversation Starter

Hello John and welcome to the 'club'.

When I say 'club' I mean we are all victims of the Indian hackers on here and all have a similar tale to you. Talk talk just don't care about a few customers being in our position. We are a small percentage of their thousands of customers who don't realise they've been compromised.. If Talk talk really cared they would send a team of investigators to India and track down the scammers, starting in their own call centres. It would cost them very little. About 1 % of their annual profit. Problem with them is they can talk the talk but seem to do nothing to help or compensate affected customers. If you search this site, somewhere you will find information warning about the hackers from over a year ago. Most of the helpful advice on here has come from the tech savy members.

stockman27
Conversation Starter

HI I have just posted this on Linked in,

I find it incredulous that `I am having to write and article on Taltkalk scammers and talktalk are doing nothing to warn their customers about this.

This has been going on for months and on certain days, I receive calls every 20 mins from a person with a terrible accent, telling me that my line is having a detrimental effect on the Talktalk router and is causing alarms. At first I played about with the callers but once they realise that you have some technical knowledge, they simply hang up. As the calls start at 0730 and finish at 1830, I have resorted in using a well-known Anglo Saxon term for, go away.

What is frightening for me the scammers know a lot about me, and the bad accents don’t give the game away either, as this is usual for the TT technical support. The only way I can see through them is my technical training.

Now! what is Talktalk doing about this, so far nothing as far as I can see.

The only fall back I have seen, has been a blocking by their network of the spoofs number they are using to call me and spoil my day.

I would expect Talktalk to put out a statement on there web site. And a video of what a scam call sounds like and not leaving it for people like me to warn the Talk talk customer base of what is going on, come to think of it and the BBC to put a news item on the BBC front page.

Talk talk must know about this as its all over their community web sites;

Come on Talktalk, forget your Corporate brand and help your customers. I would be more comfortable if major brans in the UK gave out warnings and videos on scammers and not using the Ostrich method of putting ones head in the sand. I hope somebody from the TT HR ensure that there is a very poor appraisal for marketing team and the and act.

Regards

John C

John C

Pedro1874
Conversation Starter

BREAKING NEWS!!!!  BBC News website - frontpage as John says above - well spotted John!

Inside the TalkTalk 'Indian scam call centre'

We knew it!!!!  May we have a response on this Forum please TT?

Inside the TalkTalk 'Indian scam call centre'

• 5 hours ago

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-39177981

mrwrighty
Wizz Kid

How does the Data Protection Act work if your call centres are located off the UK shores. Presumably there are none if the data can so easily be sold on.

https://www.out-law.com/page-5013 might explain how it is supposed to work, I dont see how it can be policed though.

Thankfully I have only had a couple of calls, that said, I did take them for a bit of a ride as I'm an IT technician, just mention Linux to them and they are scuppered.

My parents have had regular calls. I have told them that as soon as they here the words TalkTalk, to hang up, do not get drawn into a conversation and don't agree or disagree with anything. My dad is hard of hearing and their accents making it difficult for him to understand anyway.

TalkTalk definatley need to be more proactive on this and support those affected. Considering the scam are eminating from India, they should investigate as a matter of urgency.

jandav
First Timer

At long last an explanation, via the BBC, of how the scammers infiltrated TalkTalk. Surely the answer is for all companies to stop using cheap labour in foreign countries to enhance their profits for the benefit of shareholders. I look forward to a response from TT

James007007
Conversation Starter

Good point.

Any reputable company would ensure whoever handles their customer's data is 100% trustworthy....

A big failure from Talktalk!

Pedro1874
Conversation Starter

Exactly, as we have all been saying - why have a call centre in one of the most corrupt countries on Earth?  You are just asking for trouble!

I suggest Dido forgoes her massive bonuses rewarding her failure, and uses it to compensate us for the anguish we have suffered and our out of pocket expenses for buying call blockers.  The rest can be used to set up call centres in THIS country.

Pedro1874
Conversation Starter

Just thought I would check on the main TT website whether there was anything new.  The very first thing that you see as your details load up is a lttle message saying "You get more with TT - guaranteed"  WOT? more scam calls?  Correct!:smileyvery-happy:

They now have a video and lots of good advice about scam calls.  I haven't been on their site for a while so do not know how long all of this has been up.

Pedro1874
Conversation Starter

Well, I have just received an email from the CEO's office :smileysurprised:  promising to investigate my complaints and get back to me. :smileyhappy:

Pedro1874
Conversation Starter

I have just now received a call from a manager in the CEO's office.  I was informed that they are doing all they can to solve the problem and a better call blocking system is going to be "rolled out later this year".  They are not going to pay compensation to anyone who has received scam calls or has purchased call blockers of there own.  I told her that I was not impressed that a large IT company like TT has taken so long to find a way to stop these calls.  She also told me that TT was not the only provider that had been receiving calls from these scammers and could not say whether call centres would be returned to this country.  All very vague and unacceptable to me.

MikeyH
Wizz Kid

Strange as when I spoke to the CEO's office last week there was no mention of an improved blocking system, esp as our conversation was in relation to me getting silent called marked as Unavailable, when I have Anonymous Call Reject enabled!

Fibre Large Rocks (almost) as does my MacBook Pro - Speed is Life (Ask any Pilot)
Pedro1874
Conversation Starter

Yes, I told her that anonymous caller reject doesn't work and reporting numbers and blocking numbers was a total waste of time.

Limey1
Participant

Hello Folks

Four calls within the last 36 hours.  The scammers' new trick is to try and get you into a command line utility called "netstat".  I seems "eventvwr" is now old hat. I have told TT customer service. 

My frustration is that there is no easy way to stop these criminals.  It is the constant series phone calls which is most annoying.

surdoux
Popular Poster

Over the last few weeks, had these calls at least once, usually twice per day.  This morning, however, I've had SEVEN, yes, seven and the day is still young.  This is getting way, way beyond a joke. The only way I can see of getting TalkTalk to get off their backsides and actually DO something, is for us to leave this provider for another, as it seems from the numerous comments, complaints and lack of action, that there is fast becoming no other action that will have any affect.  I've been a customer for quite some time and have actually recommended TalkTalk to others, as generally the service has been great, but enough is enough.  From a personal point of view, I give them until the end of April to get their act together (which I believe is a more than generous time frame)  then I'm off to pastures new and I sincerely hope others will do the same.

RemovedUser
Conversation Starter

The problem being that the India-based scammers will follow you unless you change your telephone number. Dido Harding is too busy counting her money as she waiting to depart.

She will be picking up £550k for two months work.

She is the CEO and is reponsible for this debacle.In this country, failure is highly rewarded

and nobody accepts responsibility.

stockman27
Conversation Starter

Hi, It seems that Talktalk are not dong anything about this or they dont want to do any thing about this. I have written to Rip of Briatain and will write to Watch dog and or the national papers who ever replies first. There has been a serious breach of security here with our data and nothing has been done. I suggest everybody who is concerend whold write to these bodies.

Yours

John C

John C

jandav
First Timer

I have also written to numerous bodies to no avail, it needs hundreds of affected customers to do the same. There is strength in numbers. My scam callers have stopped at the moment, is this down to TT or pure concidence?

RemovedUser
Conversation Starter

In essence, Talktalk classify these 'issues' as a criminal act.

Write to ceoexec at talktalkplc.com, this e-mail address is available in the public domain

and e-mails to this address are for the attention of the TT managers in this country.