Fed Up With Scam Calls

ANSWERED
Scete1
Chatterbox

I bought one about two months ago, reduced scam calls to virtually nil, bit sad I am not getting any now as I don't have the pleasure of pressing the button on my call blocker and eliminating them.

Pedro1874
Conversation Starter

I bought the one recommended with the link above.  Cheapest new model, no screen and it has worked perfectly from day one.  Just follow excellent set up instructions.  

Why haven't TT got the technology yet to do what this little box has been able to do for years?  Shame on you TT.  No answers on this thread.  Why not? Disgraceful customer relations.

Scete1
Chatterbox

I agree entirely.

teaman99
Conversation Starter

About a year ago i got up out of my bed and went downstairs to find the router going crazy,flickering from light to light at super speeds.I used to turn the router off at night but was told by talktalk to leave it on at night.If i had not spotted this by chance in the early hours of the morning i might have been non the wiser at say `breakfast time`.Wish ihad pulled the plug now because i am convinced this was the time that the hackers struck and have reported phone scams on to talk talk ever since and still get them from time to time,they even know me by name when calling which is even more disturbing,so god knows what else they know eh.

mrwrighty
Wizz Kid

Not sure you understand the difference between being hacked and phone scams.

Your router was probably just having a moment and a reboot would fix it. You have to leave your router on because turning it off will be seen as a disconnect and affect your speed downwards. A router issue will not be the source of scam phone calls.

A scam phone call is exactly that a phone call. You will be able to block up to 100 numbers with TT, I think 10 at the moment but believe they are increasing it, unfortunate thing is the code you are required to enter to register the scam number.

teaman99
Conversation Starter

Sometimes it can be a bit confusing,i will take your word for it for what its worth.anyhow onwards and forwards and thanks for the reply if nowt else.

RemovedUser
Conversation Starter

I have been inundated with the Indian-based TalkTalk router scammers who are currently using the telephone area codes 01274 and 01732.

Blocking the last number (if available) is a waste of time as it holds only ten entries.

Is it not possible to build call blocking facilities into the router? If not, TalkTalk should provide

all affected customers by the secuity breach with a hardware call blocking device.

Perhaps, Dido Harding who is leaving in May 2017 and she will work just two months  this financial year but will be paid her full £550,000 salary. Upon her departure she will probably cash in her stock options. She received £2.51m in 2015. Her personal shareholding of more than 4.4m shares, just under 2% of TalkTalk.

As CEO, she has ultimate reponsibility for the security fiasco and perhaps she should fund call blocking devices for the affected customers. As Truman said, "The Buck Stops Here".

loki621
Popular Poster

Unless you have people you know in Bradford (01274) or Sevenoaks (01732) why not just ignore the calls?

RemovedUser
Conversation Starter

They keep changing the spoof telephone numbers. Last week they were using the code 0203!

sjw3915
Chatterbox

and the point is that they obtained your details from talktalk themselves.

James007007
Conversation Starter
Silent calls are affecting me at the moment. 5 yesterday from different numbers, none of them real numbers....TT can't stop them. The damage is done because my details are hacked and out there......It won't bother Dido, or anyone else at TT though. I doubt if they bother reading anything on here....
Pedro1874
Conversation Starter

We are getting no help or answers via the forum, therefore I suggest we try another route.   Good luck!

From the TT website:

"To help us deal with your query quickly, please confirm the following information when you write to us. We will aim to respond in writing to your query in 10 days.

• Your full name
  • Your TalkTalk Phone or mobile number
  • Your Signature

And one of the following:

• 3rd and 6th character of the password we ask for when you speak to Customer Services
  • Last 4 digits of the bank account number or payment card you use to pay for your service
  • TalkTalk account number
  • Personal security answer provided when you setup your TalkTalk account

All letters will be sent to the primary billing address unless stated otherwise.

Please also include the best way to contact you about your query, such as your contact phone number or contact address."

Our address is:

TalkTalk Correspondence Dept.
P.O. Box 346
Southampton
SO30 2PW

Pedro1874
Conversation Starter

OR To make a complaint by email:

You can email us your complaint to concerns@talktalkplc.com and we'll try to reply within 72 hours. When you email us please include:

• Your full name

• Your TalkTalk phone or mobile number

And one of the following:

• The 3rd & 6th characters of the password we ask for when you speak to Customer Services

• The last 4 digits of the bank account number or payment card you use to pay for your service

• Your TalkTalk account number

• Personal security answer provided when you step up your TalkTalk account

For most types of complaints you can visit Contact Us. Simply select the relevant subject and you'll be presented with the most appropriate contact options as well as online support. 

Depending on the nature of your complaint, we may need you to call us in order for us to better understand and resolve your issue.

RemovedUser
Conversation Starter

I have wriiten to her ceoexec@talktalkplc.com but I suspect that she is too busy with material issues. The damage has been done as the Indian scam artists know that I have TT account.

Pedro1874
Conversation Starter

Well, my email yesterday has at least elicited a response see below.  However most of my points/questions remain unanswered and show a complete lack of understanding of the problem.

Subject: Great concerns over the increase in scam calls from "TalkTalk technical service"

Question Reference #: 170226-000372

Date Created: 26/02/2017 08.30 PM

Response By Email (SOUMYAJIT DAS) (27/02/2017 07.55 AM)
Dear Peter Harris,

Thank you for contacting TalkTalk regarding the scam calls.

This is not the kind of experience we want you to have with TalkTalk, and we will do all we can to put things right for you. I know that recently we haven’t given you a very good experience of TalkTalk, and I’m sorry we've let our standards slip. We always try to learn from our mistakes, and your feedback will help us to do this.

Every year countless people are targeted by phone scammers and criminal organizations. Sadly this is a growing problem across all sectors. Unfortunately TalkTalk and other telecommunications companies are not immune. With scams of all kinds on the rise, it is so important for us all to remain aware and alert, especially when asked for personal banking details or to remote access your computer. We continually improve the advice we offer customers about how they can protect themselves from criminal phone scammers, as well as other fraud such as phishing emails. If you are in any doubt about the legitimacy of a caller, please hang up and go to our web-site to get our correct contact details.

TalkTalk is the only provider who offers all its privacy features for free so that customers can help avoid unwanted and scam calls. To know more details about our privacy features, please go through the below link:
http://help2.talktalk.co.uk/how-much-are-calling-features

• TalkTalk will NEVER call customers and use an account number to identify you or prove that the call is genuine.

• TalkTalk will NEVER call customers and ask them to provide bank details unless we have already had specific permission from you to do so.

• TalkTalk will NEVER call you and ask you to download software onto your computer, unless you have previously contacted TalkTalk, discussed and agreed a call back for this to take place.

• TalkTalk will NEVER send you emails asking you to provide your full password. We will only ever ask two digits from it to protect your security.

We'd like to reassure you that we take the security of your data very seriously. We constantly review and update our systems to make sure they're as secure as possible and we’re taking all the necessary steps. At the same time, our priority continues to be explaining the steps you should take to protect yourselves. We have emailed customers and continue to use the media and other channels to update you as the situation develops.

Please be assured that sensitive information including your date of birth, bank, or credit card details have not been illegally accessed and no one would be able to gain access to your TalkTalk account or bank account using the lost information.

I'm happy to confirm that we're working as hard to block scam numbers and web-sites on our network.

Please provide us the below details if you are receiving scam calls from other numbers:
1) Numbers of the Scam/Nuisance Callers.
2) Date of Call
3) Approximate time of call
4) Was a web-site address provided by the scam caller? If yes, provide us the URL of the web-site.
5) Did the caller say they were calling from TalkTalk? If yes, provide us what details (like name, address, recent account activity etc.) they have.
6) Additional information (if any).

Once we receive your request, we will start our investigations.

We are sorry for the inconvenience caused.

If you have any questions about this, feel free to visit http://talktalk.co.uk/help

I hope I have explained things clearly for you here. If you have questions about anything else, feel free to get back to us.

Kind regards,

Soumyajit Das
TalkTalk Customer Relations

MikeyH
Wizz Kid

I'm fed up with attempted scam calls, and I lay the blame squarely at the feet of TalkTalk.  I hardly got any scam calls ( 1 or 2 a year if I was really unlucky) until TalkTalk got hacked and my details were stolen.  Since then I get several a day, despite having anonymous caller and last number bar set up on the account.

They get around this by faking the CLI or accessing the system in such a way that the number shows as Unavailable.   But they wouldn't have got my details if it wasnt for TalkTalk security lapse in the first place

Talktalk need to do more as do the other telecom companies to block these numbers from the network.

Fibre Large Rocks (almost) as does my MacBook Pro - Speed is Life (Ask any Pilot)
Pedro1874
Conversation Starter

Exactly :smileyfrustrated:

Pedro1874
Conversation Starter

Complaints: If you have any problems with your service from us, we will do our best to resolve this in a fair and timely manner. If we can't resolve your complaint within 8 weeks you can refer the matter to Ombudsman Communications Services who provide free and independent alternative dispute resolution.
Please note, you do need to raise your complaint with TalkTalk before you're able to raise it with the Ombudsman Services

Pedro1874
Conversation Starter

Will this nightmare never end?

I have now had 2 calls on my MOBILE from "TT" on a "Private Number" offering me a refund of £148 for mistakes with my bills.  On interrogation they had all my details except my DOB and bank details.  They wanted access to my computer in order that I could access their banking system "we do not need to know your pw or bank details and you will be in control of your computer at all times".  I asked for their number so I could call them back and they said they were in Florida Area code 863 - 274 3925.  So now I am having to block unknown callers on my mobile and inform those who withold their numbers to use an un-witheld number if they want to reach me.

Pedro1874
Conversation Starter

I have been reading through the many posts on the Beat the scammers thread and found some interesting info re reporting and registering for other companies who are attempting to beat the problem.  One such is Silentcall-gard http://www.silentgard.com/index2.html who sent me an email to register interest in their proposed call screening and more.  Fingers crossed it will work.

"CallGuardian is a unique service that delivers call screening & call management through your existing telephone line, without the need for additional equipment on site.  CallGuardian will stop nuisance, unwanted, silent and robotic calls, whilst making sure you receive calls from the people you want to speak to, when you want to speak to them. 

CallGuardian is due for release to the public this year, and should be available direct or through either your landline, broadband or mobile provider.  

If you would like to be kept up to date with information on how and when this service will be available to you, please complete click the link below;

Link goes to a web form on the CallGaurdian site"

Finally found the post again fro Gondola:

TalkTalk and other telecom companies block many scam calls from ever reaching you. New calling features will prevent many more of these types of call from reaching customers. But there's always some calls that get through.

If you get a malicious or threating 'phone call on your landline number that you feel should be reported to the Police then dial 1477 within 10 minutes of the call and the call will be automatically traced and logged.  If a Police investigation takes place then the logs will be used to identify the source of the calls.

If you received a scam call from a withheld number, you can phone TalkTalk to let them know the time of the call and the type of call. Call 0345 172 0088 free on your TalkTalk landline and whilst you're on the phone, they'll help to set up privacy features to deal with unwanted calls in the future including blocking calls with number withheld.

What I do is simply use Calling Line Identification (CLI) to see if it's a number I want to answer.  If I don't know the caller I'll let it go to answerphone.  Genuine callers usually leave a message and a number to call.  Scam callers rarely leave any message. The advantage this has is that your number rarely gets repeat calls from the same scammer so eventually the calls diminish.

I've registered online with the Telephone Preference Service which helps to reduce cold-callers looking to sell you stuff.

Register online with SilentCall-Gard to stop silent calls made by computers initiating sales calls from call centres.

And finally, Which? magazine reviewed a range of nuisance call blocker 'phones that screen unknown calls automatically, letting through all calls from family and friends.