Is this A Scam

9 REPLIES 9
pottzy
Conversation Starter

Upgraded yesterday to talktalk fibre, go live date 13/9/2018. Called today from 01708125072  saying it was Talktalk technical department and my line would be terminated 3pm. today. Put phone down suspect scam? can anyone enlighten me?

Gondola
Community Star

Hi @pottzy

Definitely a scam. Romford, Essex area code and several reports on the Internet saying others had been called with the same scam story from the same spoofed number.

I'd recommend you use CallSafe. I've used the free call screening from CallSafe since November 2017 and haven't had a single scam call since. Try it. Call 1472 from your landline and then press 1 to activate it.

Have a look at the CallSafe article and see what you think.

Gondola - Community contributor

To appreciate my help . . . If I offered a solution Best Answer

Tags (2)
pottzy
Conversation Starter

Hello Gondola

Had three more calls from similar numbers making the same claim. Have now activated call safe and added those numbers hopefully no more calls!

Gondola
Community Star

Nice one.

Your regularly called numbers get added to the approved list automatically. So don't call any of those scam numbers.  Add any other friends' numbers / Doctor / Dentist etc to the approved list so they also get through without screening.

The scammers will not wish to record their name so usually hang-up and you don't get interrupted.

pottzy
Conversation Starter

I'll take your advice and add numbers to the approved list.

I've havn't had a scam call claiming to be from talktalk for many many months, is it not strange I start getting them the day after I agree to upgrade my package. Have the scammers got inside information?

Gondola
Community Star

Hi @pottzy

I saw yesterday that another member reported receiving a scam call after an Openreach visit was arranged and the call arrived when the Openreach engineer was there.

The Openreach engineer is quoted as saying "this has happened loads of time(s)"... "theres someone who works for isps or openreach who are selling customers numbers..."

And you're saying that the day after the order was raised to Openreach for your fibre upgrade you're starting to get scam calls.  It does look suspicious, I agree.

pottzy
Conversation Starter

To upgrade to fibre I was on the Talktalk live chat.

Gondola
Community Star

@pottzy wrote:

To upgrade to fibre I was on the Talktalk live chat.

...and the order to upgrade your line to fibre would have been passed out to Openreach together with your phone number as a contact for you if needed.

pottzy
Conversation Starter

Thank's for that information I didn't know that, my telephone line went down shortly after being on the chatline and was reconnected within minutes, would this be Openreach switching?

Gondola
Community Star

...no, Openreach don't work that fast!