Issue with unavailable numbers still calling me

22 REPLIES 22
Labrat
Problem Solver

Yesterday, I suddenly started getting loads of caller withheld numbers, including one at 4:20am. Now, "coincidentally", I find that from November, TalkTalk is charging £2 per month for this service. Surely TalkTalk wouldn't sink so low as deliberately getting operators to phone people anonymously in order to rake in cash from there previously-free boosts?

Gondola
Community Star

Hi @Labrat

TalkTalk doesn't have telephone operators.

TalkTalk calls from the Call Centres or UK all have number displayed.

You haven't got Anonymous Caller Reject activated so you'll not be charged the fee unless you specifically choose to activate the feature.

There's always the free option of activating CallSafe to screen all callers except your wanted callers that get straight through.

Gondola - Community contributor

To appreciate my help . . . If I offered a solution Best Answer

Tags (1)
Labrat
Problem Solver

I recently didn't get to the phone on time and used 1471 to find out the number and phone back. I was greeted by an automated system which mentioned TalkTalk, but when I was asked to start pressing buttons I immediately hung up, assuming it was some kind of scam and that hackers were using a list of TalkTalk customer numbers. I'm reluctant to use CallSafe because it is so incredibly annoying to the caller. I don't understand why the much more effective method of blocking withheld numbers is suddenly subject to a charge.

Labrat
Problem Solver

I'm going to try CallSafe and manually type in all the approved numbers I can think of. I'll let you know how easy it is to do that.

Labrat
Problem Solver

I have been getting regular calls from people with heavy Asian accents, claiming to be from TalkTalk. Quite often it begins with the sound of hordes of other operators in the background. I'm afraid it's now got to the stage where as soon as I hear a heavy foreign accent I put the phone down immediately, so TalkTalk must be finding it almost impossible for any of their genuine operators to get through to customers.

Gondola
Community Star

Hi @Labrat

With CallSafe your regularly called numbers will automatically be added to the approved list so there's no need to manually add.  TalkTalk also approve your Friends and Family numbers.

And the calls that get through automatically are on TalkTalk's global approved list including:

• Automated HMRC authentication calls
  • Automated hospital appointment calls
  • Automated banking calls
  • TalkTalk numbers

Labrat
Problem Solver

This forum is driving me up the wall. I've just posted about withheld numbers and CallSafe, yet I'm finding it impossible to find it again. I've never known a forum that seems to be designed to deliberately confuse. I switched CallSafe on, then, after seeing its status as On, I tried to add numbers to the safe list and was automatically diverted away. When I found my way back again, the CallSafe status was Off and I've had to switch it back on again and wait ... yet again.

I doubt if I'll ever manage to find this post again to see if there's been a reply.

Gondola
Community Star

Re navigating the forum and looking for replies to your posts.

Just click on your avatar top right of the page when logged in to Community.

If there are replies to topics that you've posted to then, so long as your Community profile notification settings aren't disabled, you'll see a number in a red circle to indicate replies. Click the alarm clock icon to see which notifications you've received. 

Labrat
Problem Solver

I've just managed to find my way here by trial and error, but why is it so incredibly difficult? Somewhere, several links back, I clicked on 'Forum' and instead of taking me there, it took me to a page of general answers to typical questions.

I have continually tried to activate CallSafe (last time over three hours ago) and it is still switched off. Why doesn't it simply appear as a tickable option in the phone boosts list. I also fail to see the logic in making CallSafe free, yet charging for the far simpler method of blocking all withheld numbers. And I sincerely hope you don't take this as a request to start charging for CallSafe!

Labrat
Problem Solver

Are you able to trace the withheld number calls that were harassing me yesterday evening and at 4:20am this morning?

Labrat
Problem Solver

I've just tried to find the list of recent incoming calls, which I somehow stumpled on earlier, again by accident. Can I find it again? Of course not. Itemised phone usage only shows outgoing calls, so where on earth did I see it? Please, please make navigating my account and this site much simpler. It is very nearly impossible.

Gondola
Community Star

Hi @Labrat

To switch CallSafe on, simply dial 1 4 7 2 from your TalkTalk landline, then press 1.

If you're troubled by nuisance calls and the number is withheld then note the time of the call and report to TalkTalk Customer Services free from your TalkTalk landline on 150.

There is no list of recent incoming calls. That's a feature that has yet to be added to CallSafe.

Labrat
Problem Solver

Thanks for the reply, but in that case I'm very confused, because I saw somewhere a list of about seven or eight incoming calls saying that the number was withheld. There was one other number beginning with 33, which I wanted to go back and make a note of.

Labrat
Problem Solver

Also, on one of the pages it invited me to manage CallSafe and after I switched it on it said it might take several minutes before it takes effect. You might need to look at this, because it obviously doesn't work.

Gondola
Community Star

Hi @Labrat

I'll ask the TalkTalk Community Team to take a look at your account if you wish.

Please ensure your Community Profile Personal Information (Click here) includes your name, address, current TalkTalk landline 'phone number and an alternate number (mobile recommended). Add, then scroll down and save changes. The TalkTalk Community Team OCE will then be able to link to your TalkTalk service account to check CallSafe for you.

Labrat
Problem Solver

You can hang fire on that for the moment because the calls seem to have stopped, but at least I know a sure-fire way of turning it on if it starts up again.

Gondola
Community Star

@Labrat wrote:

You can hang fire on that for the moment because the calls seem to have stopped, but at least I know a sure-fire way of turning it on if it starts up again.

...and the sure-fire way of turning it on is... when you've just told me it's not working!

But do read the CallSafe article because that tells you that when you switch off CallSafe it deletes the numbers lists.  So you'll start from scratch again.  The optimum way of using CallSafe is to activate it and leave it switched on 24/7.

Labrat
Problem Solver

The sure-fire way, you told me is to dial 1472 then press 1. It's the option in My Account that isn't working.

Image1.jpg 

Gondola
Community Star

Hi @Labrat

What happened when you pressed the blue button Switch CallSafe on?

Terry Mc
Team Player

It seems that Talk Talk is often hacked by scammers trying to get at customers details, then going on to call or email them on the con. I use the Call Safe scheme they offer but it does filter out many wanted calls as well as keeping out unknown numbers and withheld numbers. There are things you can do to help with that like adding numbers of family and friends to an approved list, but at the moment I am enjoying the relative peace and quiet from my landline. 
There is also the fact that after the caller saying their name and pressing the hash key and your phone ringing, if you are unable to answer as you are not home then the caller just gets cut off, they must think you don't want to speak to them as they are unable to leave a message. By only being asked for their name you are unable to ring them back as do not have their number ! This has often happened with callers I wanted but do not know their numbers. Surely it would be best to ask for name and return number before they press the hash key.

I too find the Community forum extremely annoying and difficult to navigate. I would like to be able to see my posts from any page. You do not get directed where you hope you are going to be.

I have not yet been contacted about the introduction of a charge for the free boosts on Talk Talk. I would not be happy as they seem to always be increasing charges above and beyond !

Terry McElligott