Nuisance and fraud calls claiming to be TalkTalk

16 REPLIES 16
Highlighted
tomhowardjones
Chatterbox

For several months we have been getting calls claiming to be from TalkTalk. They want us to give them access to our router and computer. When challenged they say that they can tell us our account number and other details to prove that they are genuine. Eventually they give up when we refuse. Lately they have even become abusive when we say that we don't believe them. We use the facility for blocking calls but they seem to be able to use different numbers every time. I hope that we will not fall for the scam. But it is worrying that they may have our account details. Any advice and assistance that you can give to end this problem will be most welcome.

XR221
Participant

I have had a similar problem, but like you have not fallen for the scam. Over the past 5 days we have had calls from 0011273586225, 0014065498447 and finally today 02036895688 (this latter number connects to an answer message advising that it is 'out of service' - either its a 'spoofed' number or the message is false?). The method of operation of the caller is as follows - 1/. Advise you that they are TalkTalk calling about a problem with your Router that has been detected over their network, 2/. Asks if they are speaking to the account holder, but then doesnt go through any security questions. 3/. Ask you to describe the keys on the bottom left of your keyboard (this is so that they can determine whether you have a Windows or an Apple Mac - THEY ARE ONLY INTERESTED IN YOU IF YOU HAVE A WINDOWS BASED OPERATING SYSTEM ON YOUR COMPUTER!), 4/. If you have Windows they will then ask you to press the 'Windows flag' key and 'R' - this is to open up a 'Command Line' so that they can then tell you what commands to enter in order that they can gain remote access to your computer.

All of these calls come from a 'call centre' somewhere as you can hear chatter of other operators giving people the same instructions in the background. They do not ask for you by name or appear to know the name of the TalkTalk account holder (but don't assume that they are legitimate if they do appear to know your name or any personal details). The call I received was from a person with an asian accent, similar to those heard when contacting TT own call centres. The caller stated that he was calling from the East End of London. As soon as I asked him 'whereabouts in the East end? He terminated the call.

Actions/options to take if you receive a similar call:-

1/. If you can, immediately turn off your Router thereby disconnecting your computer/s from the internet. On no account should you give anybody access to your computer remotely. Do not give the caller ANY INFORMATION - not even your name, phone number - NOTHING.

2/. Hang up the call.

3/. Report the number from which the call was received to TalkTalk here - 

http://help2.talktalk.co.uk/scam-phone-calls

4/. Bar the number used to call you by 'Blocking unwanted callers' via TalkTalk here - unfortunately you can only block a maximum of 10 numbers though - 

http://help2.talktalk.co.uk/how-do-i-block-unwanted-callers

5/. If you have TalkTalk Super Safe boost installed open it up and check that ALL features are reported to be working correctly (in my case I found that the 'security cloud' was unavailable and I had to reinstall the F-Secure file in order to repair it).

6/. Run a full Super Safe Boost/antivirus scan on your computer/s before reconnecting to the router/internet.

7/. Finally, for more advice see the Talktalk 'Beat the Scammers' advice page here:-

https://www.talktalkgroup.com/beatthescammers/

Donnam
Head of Scam Prevention

Hi @tomhowardjones

Thanks very much for your question and sorry to hear you're receiving scam calls.

@XR221 has given some brilliant advice below and like he says;

1.  Always hang up

2.  Block the number that has called you.

3.  Make sure you have caller display switched so you can see who's calling

4.  Report the number at talktalk.co.uk/scams, this will be sent to our Customer Security Investigation team to see if we can block this on the network.  We block 92million calls a month on our network.

I hope @XR221 and above has helped.

Donna
XR221
Participant

Some further ideas and advice regards this scam calls problem, as a result of calls that I am still getting -

1/. If you have 'caller display' enabled and a phone capable of using it, look at the number displayed before you answer the call. If you do not recognise the number as a UK number (most scam calls will display a 13 digit phone number starting with 001), the easiest and probably most sensible thing to do is just not to answer. This is because the scam calls are generally preceded by an intial call that disconnects after you answer. The reason for this is likely that the calls are being auto dialled from a computerised list. Once you answer it confirms that a/.your number is live, b/, you are at home. You are then lined up to speak to a fraudster later in the day.

2/. Whilst blocking the calls may help, it is likely that the telephone numbers displayed are actually 'spoofed numbers'. The fraudsters are able to computer generate any number that they choose, so that you will never see the real number where the call is coming from. Telecoms companies and law enforcement services can trace and record the real number, so it is important that you report the call and the spoof number used to TalkTalk etc. for them to investigate and take further action.

3/. The fraudsters are persistent - despite the fact that I had obviously not been taken in by the first call, I received a second call the following day. This time it was an asian female voice on the line - possibly the same asian female voice that I could hear in the background of the previous days call? This time the attempted scam used was that she was calling from TalkTalk as they were now aware that my router and computer had been targeted by fruadsters and possibly hacked into the day before. I had probably noticed that my router was very slow and behaving strangely and they needed access to blah, blah, blah... I then asked the caller to tell me what my TalkTalk customer account number was - she responded by telling me my complete and correct customer account number. I then said, 'and what is my post code?', at which point her call was terminated. I then blocked and reported this new number. Even if she had known my post code, I would not have believed that she was from TalkTalk or taken any action that she or anybody else requested to connect to my computer. Infact, there was and is nothing that any of these people can say or do that will convince me to do anything that they aske - but it's good sport to hear them try! 

4/. Received another call today - they normally start about 1120am -  I didn't answer the phone this time (as I didn't get to it quickly enough) - i expect that i'll get called again and i'll update with the story on that when it happens.

5/. If you are really at the end of your tether and have had enough of these calls, then another option is to get a phone such as the BT8610, which can be used to screen and bar any calls that you desire i.e. you can block any international calls, any calls not on your contacts list, anonymous calls, calls from specific area codes etc. I have one of these, so once i'm bored with

talking to these criminals i'll silence them forever!  

TallTrees
Wizz Kid

I have discovered that TalkTalk entrust their customers details to Wipro in India. The Indian Government is struggling with fraud in this country, so why is TalkTalk entrusting their

customers details to these people (apart from the cheap labour aspect) Wipro provide the Customer Call Centre for TalkTalk.  This will never end until TalkTalk leave India.

We are left with the horror of the fraudsters (talktalk use cheap labour) I too am a victim of these fraudsters.  The Call Centre staff sell the details on or use them to extract money from talktalk customers bank account.

It is absolutely appalling that talktalk tell customers to be on constant alert etc., when Talktalk are using an Indian Company to care for their customers information! The Indian Government cannot contain the Fraud in this Country (no doubt you have heard the news recently). 

I wouldn't choose to entrust my details to India! TalkTalk would ~ I wonder has the CEO Dido Harding got her details entrusted to the Indian Company.

PS no point in complaining by email/chat etc. all goes to India and they bin it.

Happiness is Bee shaped
TallTrees
Wizz Kid

Well the scammers are yours.  Talktalk employ wipro to run their call centre where all the scammers are.  They have talktalk customers details entrusted to them by talktalk. Even the Indian Government wouldn't trust them. I wouldn't choose to put my personal details out to an Indian Company? Does Dido Harding?

Happiness is Bee shaped
TeeBeeUK
Chat Champion

I've just had one of these calls. The number does not show up stating 'unavailable'. Spoken with TalkTalk directly who confirm that it will be a scam call. Said they will email out a form to report the call.

terrymanchester
Team Player

@TeeBeeUK wrote:

I've just had one of these calls. The number does not show up stating 'unavailable'. Spoken with TalkTalk directly who confirm that it will be a scam call. Said they will email out a form to report the call.

Then there theifing staff will steal your completed form and ring you some more as now they have confirmation you are still an active Talk Talk member.

Talk Talk talk the talk but do not walk the walk they will just file your complaint and forget about it.

If they can not tell the truth regarding your details being stolen they sure aint going to tell the truth about the scam calls.

Talk Talk did not even stand up and admit we have had your personnel details hacked instead they said no private details were taken.

Realy so how do the scammers no all your Talk Talk details.

The best thing you can do is get out.

It is so funny now when I recieve the scam calls ( Yes I still get them) 

Hello Im from Talk Talk security department your computer is showing you have a virus that is harming our servers.

Realy Im not with Talk Talk anymore.

But I just play games with them now and make them think there scam is working.

sheepie
Conversation Starter

So I have just had one of these calls, apparently my PC has a virus. Of course it doesn't and it's Linux anyway but

1. They claimed to be calling from TalkTalk

2. They knew my Talktalk account number!!

I phoned up talktalk to complain and they told me that they do not disclose any customer information to 3rd parties etc. etc. and that some scammers are "guessing" the talktalk account numbers. Really? Well if they can guess my account number perfectly they should be doing the lottery as it's obviously their lucky day.

Scam phone calls I can live with but when they are able to give me "secure" information then that tells me TalkTalk have had a breach of data security - how much more of my information do they have? Not the first time TalkTalk have been hacked, they do not have a very good track record.

TeeBeeUK
Chat Champion

Well this scammer did not seem to know any of my personal details as they were phishing for it. They just phoned back and I told them they were trying to scam me. They simply hung up. I get the impression they will call any number and say they're from TalkTalk and that's what TalkTalk told me when I phoned them about it earlier. I never told the scammer I was with TalkTalk but they did try a second time. If they try again I'll have some fun with them!

Just to confirm it was a female with an Asian/Indian type accent. There was sounds of a busy office in the background (probably pre-recorded) and they purport to be from TalkTalk. They don't seem to have your details and want to get the information from you.

TeeBeeUK
Chat Champion
Oh...and I should have said that my phone states number 'unavailabe'.
XR221
Participant

Next time you get a call when you pick up the phone, just for fun say... "good morning/good afternoon, City of London Police Fraud Investigation Department, Investigator Max Headroom speaking, how may I help you?"

TeeBeeUK
Chat Champion

Like It 🙂

sheepie
Conversation Starter

I generally do like to mess them about, they do not like being kept on the phone for ages and then being laughed at 🙂

My only concern is when I eventually got bored with teasing them and asked them to confirm who they are by telling me my account number, and usually they cannot, but this time they gave me a number which sounded genuine so I hung up and logged into my account to see what my account number was, and they were spot on. 

TalkTalk have quite obviously broke the data protection act here, these people do not get account numbers by accident, and if they have mine they have everybodies!!!!

XR221
Participant

I'm not surprised by that. I had a similar experience where I asked them for my account number  knowing that they were not TalkTalk, and they were able to give it. When I then asked them to give my full name they hung up as they were obviously not able to do that. I'm pretty sure that TalkTalk have had customer account info stolen on at least 2 occasions that they have admitted to during the past 18 months and I know that my account was one of those potentially compromised, so no surprise really. I had a suggestion from another poster on the forum, when I posted about the calls that I was then getting, that staff in TalkTalk's call centre might have previously been implicated, but the post was deleted (by either the poster or a moderator?). Strangely enough though, since I posted that there was 'no way that I will ever be persuaded to give anybody else access to my computer remotely, etc' all of the calls have stopped.

Another suspicion I have is that the calls are also possibly able to give others fraudulent access to a TalkTalk router, as my 1 month old HG633 router began behaving strangely and then developed a major fault at the same time as the spurious 'you have a problem with your router' calls started. I believe that my router was potentially hacked - the fault that developed was that it would not allow any internet download connectivity whilst any sort of upload was in progress. Best way to stop unauthorised router access is to turn off the 'remote management' feature within the router, which TalkTalk enable by default - it can always be re-enabled if anybody needs legitimate access at a later time. The other key is to always change the default password to your router's admin area as well as to change any default wireless network ID and passwords.

frooper11
Team Player
I'm now getting at least two of this type of call a day, normally once in the morning and one in the evening. It's not clear whether they are from the same caller but both claim to know my full address and my TalkTalk account number. I've not been a customer for over 2 years but this is now making me consider changing my number with my new provider.

Given they've got my old account number surely there's only the one place it could have originated? What steps do TalkTalk take in these instances to compensate customers for this. I have submitted a complaint but the initial advice was to take a note of the number of the caller (witheld) which isn't possible.

I appreciate TalkTalk previously offered continued customers compensation in the form of additions their account but what about former customers who've been affected by a data breach?

Cheers
terrymanchester
Team Player

@frooper11 wrote:
I'm now getting at least two of this type of call a day, normally once in the morning and one in the evening. It's not clear whether they are from the same caller but both claim to know my full address and my TalkTalk account number. I've not been a customer for over 2 years but this is now making me consider changing my number with my new provider.

Given they've got my old account number surely there's only the one place it could have originated? What steps do TalkTalk take in these instances to compensate customers for this. I have submitted a complaint but the initial advice was to take a note of the number of the caller (witheld) which isn't possible.

I appreciate TalkTalk previously offered continued customers compensation in the form of additions their account but what about former customers who've been affected by a data breach?

Cheers

Unfortunately changing your number is the only way your going to stop these calls, the idiots who stole them in the first place would of used the details then sold them on to the next set of idiots who in turn would of sold them on, its an endless circle.

Once your details are in a scam network they go round and round.

As for Talk Talk compensating you good luck with that, I suspect the only way you would get anything would be with a claim in the small claims court CAB would be able to advise you more.

The compensation that was given to customers by Talk Talk by means of a free upgrade was in fact a scam in its self.

They gave a free upgrade worth a few £ a month

They then stopped the early payment discount that lowered your bill by a few £ a month.

They were very crafty the way they did this published every where how they were compensating its customers but did not do a song and dance to say it was in fact the customers who were paying the compensation by loosing there early payment discounts.

Talk Talk will still be having customers details stolen and it will not stop untill they move there service centres out of poor countries and stop paying cheap labour.