Scam Call - Asked to run "eventvwr" by an IT Support Guy From TalkTalk

3 REPLIES 3
Dave-o
First Timer

Hi,

I was just called today at 11:07 (number showed as "Unavailable") and i can't report this on your website as you HAVE to provide the phone number.  Any nuisance caller with any sense will block the number - so please can you provide a method to report calls where they have done this.

The caller today was very convincing as he had both my TalkTalk phone number and account number.

The guy had a strong Indian accent and was claiming there were errors with my broadband client.  The call ended when he tried to get me to run the "eventvwr" after pressing Windows+r.  I suggested he was not from TalkTalk and that I would not be running anything. To which he replied that he would disconnect my broadband connection immediately and I ended the call. 

Now it might be a massive coincidence but my broadband connection died about 2 minutes after the call for about 5 minutes.  I have no idea if this person somehow was able to actually do this - but it is very concerning that they have my talktalk details and appear to be able to do things on my broadband account !!

Scottbon
First Timer

I too received this call.

Not anonymous. Was an 01286 code.

Also asked to run eventvwr.

When we asked him what our acc no. Was 

He hung up.

But they seemed to know we were having broadband problems and they seemed to know we were due to have an engineer call that day.

It seems someone is leaking information from talktalk callcentre to the scammers

This needs sorting.

Scottbon
First Timer

I too received this call.

Not anonymous. Was an 01286 code.

Also asked to run eventvwr.

When we asked him what our acc no. Was 

He hung up.

But they seemed to know we were having broadband problems and they seemed to know we were due to have an engineer call that day.

It seems someone is leaking information from talktalk callcentre to the scammers

This needs sorting.

Seafarer1947
Chatterbox

I think our details are being passed on by some who are working at their Indian call centre