Security question for Donna Moore

3 REPLIES 3
jpm777
Participant

Hi,

I have just received an email stating that Donna Moore will be answering questions about beating scammers. 

I frequently receive calls from scammers pretending to be from Talktalk telling me I have a problem with my computer downloading malicious data and that they need me to give my computer details / download a program so they can check etc.

I believe Talktalk has been hacked three times so far, thus could you tell me what makes Talktalk a good candidate for giving out this advice given the history?

Thank you. 

Donnam
Head of Scam Prevention

Hi @jpm777

Thanks very much for your question.

Nothing matters more to us that protecting our customers which is why;

• We are the only telecoms industry who offer calling features to protect themselves free of charge, this includes;
  • We were the 1st telecoms industry to publish and communicate our TalkTalk Nevers.
      • TalkTalk will never use your TalkTalk account number to prove a call is genuine.
      • TalkTalk will never ask you to provide your full password - we'll only ever ask for two digits in order to protect your security.
      • TalkTalk will never ask for your bank details to process a refund - if you're a TalkTalk customer, your bank details will already be registered on our systems.
      • TalkTalk will never ask you to send us money through services such as MoneyGram or Western Union. Scammers do this to prevent transactions from being traced back to them.
  • We have also set up a Beat the Scammers Campaign to help with advice and information.

In June we contacted all our customers to warm them about scammers tactics and how to project themselves.  

We now have another campaign running "Hang Up, Make Tea and Call Back", this includes;

• Emailing our base again with more advice.
  • Extensive Digital Awareness with the first video published, this has received over 1 million views  and shared over 3k shares on facebook.
  • Part 2 video demonstrates the scammers tactics in more detail
  • We have trained all our Engineers so they can increase awareness during home visits and leave customers brochures and a coaster with more information on how to protect themselves.
  • This month we are posting over 700k leaflets to customers to increase awareness.
  • We play a message on all our incoming calls to warn customers about scams in the Uk and where to find  out more at talktalk.co.uk/scams

We have increased the time to block numbers on the network.  Now if you report a number online and it meets the criteria, we will block the call on our network within the hour.  We block on average 92 million calls a month.

We also have a number of new features we are building that will hopefully stop the scammers reaching our customers, these are due early next year.

I hope this gives you some confidence that this does matter to us as it matters to our customers and are seen as one of the leading industries to beat the scammers.

Donna
terrymanchester
Team Player

@Donnam wrote:

Hi @jpm777

Thanks very much for your question.

Nothing matters more to us that protecting our customers which is why;

• We are the only telecoms industry who offer calling features to protect themselves free of charge, this includes;
  • We were the 1st telecoms industry to publish and communicate our TalkTalk Nevers.
      • TalkTalk will never use your TalkTalk account number to prove a call is genuine.
      • TalkTalk will never ask you to provide your full password - we'll only ever ask for two digits in order to protect your security.
      • TalkTalk will never ask for your bank details to process a refund - if you're a TalkTalk customer, your bank details will already be registered on our systems.
      • TalkTalk will never ask you to send us money through services such as MoneyGram or Western Union. Scammers do this to prevent transactions from being traced back to them.
  • We have also set up a Beat the Scammers Campaign to help with advice and information.

In June we contacted all our customers to warm them about scammers tactics and how to project themselves.  

We now have another campaign running "Hang Up, Make Tea and Call Back", this includes;

• Emailing our base again with more advice.
  • Extensive Digital Awareness with the first video published, this has received over 1 million views  and shared over 3k shares on facebook.
  • Part 2 video demonstrates the scammers tactics in more detail
  • We have trained all our Engineers so they can increase awareness during home visits and leave customers brochures and a coaster with more information on how to protect themselves.
  • This month we are posting over 700k leaflets to customers to increase awareness.
  • We play a message on all our incoming calls to warn customers about scams in the Uk and where to find  out more at talktalk.co.uk/scams

We have increased the time to block numbers on the network.  Now if you report a number online and it meets the criteria, we will block the call on our network within the hour.  We block on average 92 million calls a month.

We also have a number of new features we are building that will hopefully stop the scammers reaching our customers, these are due early next year.

I hope this gives you some confidence that this does matter to us as it matters to our customers and are seen as one of the leading industries to beat the scammers.

All This is just a generic answer But you question was not really answered

TallTrees
Wizz Kid

Hi like your thoughts!

Donna's answer is a bit of a problem. 

Hang up good

call back ~ not good

surely you will be calling the scammers back, as these are TalkTalk scammers in their call centres  (not in this country) be careful if you don't need to call back don't.  Nothing wrong?

computer working ok why call?

Happened to me ~ told them to get a decent job and hung up.

You are your own guard be aware all the time. Best wishes

Happiness is Bee shaped