Teamviewer is being erroneously blocked

ANSWERED
acrowland
First Timer

TalkTalk blocks TeamViewer by default for the following reason. It is often used by scammers to get access to their victims' PCs after alarming them with fake details. I have had two calls in one morning from elderly people both very distressed after realising they have been scammed and their bank details compromised, and left with a non-working PC.

On the other hand, I wasted an hour a few weeks ago trying to get TeamViewer to work so I could offer remote support to a customer, and only belatedly realised that it was TalkTalk's fault. My complaint is that they should have told us about this in advance, not leaving us to discover it the hard way!

The solution is simple, and instructions are given on the page that TeamViewer's site redirects to: disable the Internet safety option in My Account.

Chris-B
Team Player

If you go to Teamviewer's website, you see that TalkTalk has diverted the page. The problem is that when using Teamviewer, its calls to teamviewer.com are blocked but you can't see that.

A better solution than disabling the internet safety is to whitelist teamviewer, see the instructions I posted on another thread here. If that doesn't help, clear the browser cache.

Heles11
First Timer

HI

I have scam protect turned OFF but still Team viewer and my work VPN are blocked.  This is causing me serious headaches as I need to get on to clients machines.  Please can anyone help?

Thanks

Helen

Chris-B
Team Player
I have not heard of TalkTalk blocking VPNs; maybe the block is from a different cause. Are you sure it's TalkTalk that's blocking Teamviewer?
If you go to www.teamviewer.com in your browser, what do you see?
Steven5464567
First Timer

Hi,

I need access to Teamviewer as it's vital to my business. I have just spend 20 minutes on livechat to be told that it can't be unblocked. I don't understand as it looks like some users had their account unlocked. Can someone please get in touch in order to unblocked Teamviewer on my account?

Many thanks

Steven

Steven5464567
First Timer

Hi,

I need access to Teamviewer as it's vital to my business. I have just spend 20 minutes on livechat to be told that it can't be unblocked. I don't understand as it looks like some users had their account unlocked. Can someone please get in touch in order to unblocked Teamviewer on my account?

Many thanks

Steven

sarah louis
First Timer

Has been intouch with live chat team, very very unhelpful. A simple request for unblocking teamviewer. I've lost more then half a day to resolve this issues, with not luck. Very disappointing with the service. 

chcoliveira
First Timer

Hi Comunity

Can you please Unblock my TeamViewer?

I need to use it urgently. Please please please.

Thanks

PE999
Popular Poster

I know this is marked as resolved but talktalk customer services have just told me it's now impossible to unblock teamviewer so it's now completely unaccessable for ever.

This can't be right surley

We are all adults, can we not decide what we use our computers for anymore, or is talk talk now the goverment incharge of our internet use!!???!!??

Chris-B
Team Player
Livechat probably meant that THEY can't unblock it. There are two things you can yourself, either of which will probably work. The first is to whitelist teamviewer.com using the method given in various threads, the second is to change your DNS to Google or OpenDNS
PE999
Popular Poster

Hi.

Do the scam or kids filters have to be switched on to whitelist a site?

Would it do the same if they were both just switched off?

Chris-B
Team Player

I've read different views about scam protection being on or off, and I'm not sure if it matters. While the reason TalkTalk block Teamviewer is anti-scam not to protect kids there's no option to whitelist in the scam protect, but there is in Kids Safe. So turn on kids safe and enter teamviewer.com in the whitelist; if you don't want to use any of the other kids safe features, leave the boxes unticked, and save. You should leave kids safe turned on, but all it's doing is whitelisting Teamviewer. You may need to wait a little while, and rebooting may help. If you can access www.teamviewer.com in your browser, the Teamviewer app should not be being blocked either.

PE999
Popular Poster

Ok, thanks

I'll try that tonight and report back

Thanks for the help

PE999
Popular Poster

Thanks very much for all you help today.

Just to confirm for anyone else having the same problem with Teamviewer being blocked.

I switched on the Kids safe setting in security centre from within the my account part of talktalk.co.uk and added www.teamviewer.com to the list of websites ensuring that the allow button was clicked next to it.

I also turned off the scam filter at the same time.

Now teamviewer is working as it should. It's just a shame that iv'e had to spend so much time on the phone and on live chat, before finally finding this forum where it was sorted out in a matter of minutes!

Talktalk really need to sort out their technical support staff as it's probably some of the worst I ever encountered in my entire career!

Thanks and good luck to everyone.

Chris-B
Team Player
I'm glad you're sorted, PE999 (and you can 'Like' posts that have helped you, if you wish).

I wouldn't call Livechat technical support; in my experience they're non-technical customer liaison. If there's an actual fault (rather than, in this case, a badly executed policy!) they will refer to technical support, but if the question you ask isn't in the script, they just say it can't be done. I happen to know some TalkTalk technical people and they are very knowledgeable, but I don't think it's in their job description to deal directly with customers.
PE999
Popular Poster

It's a real shame though as the live chat agents are the first line in the customer services which represent talktalk as a company and if most people come away dissmayed after receiving their "help!" then they are actually doing the company harm not good.

I'm sure there are very knowledgeable tech support in talktalk but not letting the customers who need their help talk to them, actually just gives us customers a bad impression of talktalk.

Putting these 'script monkeys' on the end of live chat with no actual help offered or given only turns people away and indeed any future recomendations.

I only hope they change their policy for their own sake.

But I thank you very much for your help, all the very best

jaevans
First Timer

Hi,  I am also unable to access Teamviewer and the chat operator was unable to help and sent me 'Supermail from TalkTalk' instead.  I wonder if you can help

florenceungaro
First Timer

Please could you unblock teamviewer for ma?

Oakers
Chatterbox

I have the same problem.  I tried Live Chat and was told i would be sent instructions on how to disable the Spam protection, but this just told me to call TT.  Did this and the guy said he would remove it in 10-15 mins, but it has not happened and i got Supermail giving me SuperSafe, which might be useful, but does not helm me got into TeamViewer.....

Chris-B
Team Player
The easiest and quickest thing to do is to unblock it yourself, using the advice from other customers as posted here. Please scroll back up the thread to my post on 20-08-2018 and follow the steps I've outlined. Post again to say how you got on!