Was this a scam call or genuine?

ANSWERED
25 REPLIES 25
Poops1
Wizz Kid

At 11.05 today I received an automated call from 07484204930 saying it was from TalkTalk and my internet would need to be disconnected within the next 24 hours because my IP address had been compromised. I would need to be assigned a new IP address and would need to be sent a new router free of charge. There then followed an 08 number for me to call support to find out more. I haven't tried to ring the number but I wasn't quick enough to jot it down anyway if I had wanted to ring it. The call came about 10 minutes after my computer had been acting strange and freezing so I am now confused as to whether this was a scam call or a genuine one. I have reported it on the Check and Report page as I am erring on the side of caution and treating it as a scam, mainly because it looks like a mobile number and I would expect TalkTalk to ring from a landline if it were genuine or to contact me by post. Can someone confirm my suspicions please, and assure me that my IP address hasn't been compromised?

Pauline
Gondola
Community Star
Solution

Hi @Poops1

The incoming number being an unsolicited mobile call number beginning with 07 is most unlikely to be genuine or from TalkTalk so you're absolutely right to be cautious.  07484 was originally allocated to EE so most unlikely to be an official TalkTalk number.  If your devices had been compromised, for example, taken over and used as part of a hacker's bot-net then TalkTalk would contact you and there would be a note on your account.

Please be aware that scammers are calling customers claiming to be from BT, TalkTalk or Microsoft and claiming you have problems with your account, your internet, your router or your computer. 

If you're asked to call back, even if the message makes you concerned. Do Not. It could be a premium rate scam or if nothing else will confirm to the scammer that you're concerned enough to ring them so they'll ring you back to prey on those concerns.

If you receive a call from TalkTalk and are in any doubt, don't say anything, just hang up, make a cup of tea or relax and wait for 20 minutes just to ensure the call clears from the line and then call TalkTalk free from your home phone on 150.  If TalkTalk are trying to contact you it'll be noted in your account details and arrangements would be made to talk to you.

Here's a guide: Scam Calls (Click here)

You can also Check and Report a suspicious 'phone number (Click here)  So, you've done exactly the right thing to report the number and let TalkTalk take it from there.

If you're concerned about the performance of your devices then do run the f-Secure scans. And of course keep them up to date.

Gondola - Community contributor

To appreciate my help . . . If I offered a solution Best Answer

Poops1
Wizz Kid

Thanks for the speedy reply Gondola, I'm reassured that I did the right thing reporting the number, I've also blocked it so it won't call me again.

I've had numerous scam calls before but always with a real person on the other end purporting to be TalkTalk support telling me there's a problem with my router. I usually just put the phone down then block the number. This is the first time it's been an automated call where it's just a voice on the other end not a real person so it threw me a little.

I did check my account afterwards and there's nothing untoward on there so that also points to it not being a genuine call.

Hopefully now that number will be blocked at a network level too so it can't upset anyone else.

Thanks again.

Pauline
Gondola
Community Star

Hi Pauline

You're not alone in reporting this scam.  Looks like it started yesterday.  Many different spoofed calling numbers but the same 0800 call back.  You did well not to be tempted to call the freephone number.  I'm hoping TalkTalk will be able to get the 0800 number withdrawn from service.

Thanks for reporting it here as hopefully it'll alert many more of us to be aware of this new scam.

colbry
Chatterbox

Had a similar call about 2 hours ago and then spent an hour trying to report it through My Account. Checked the number 07592663601 and reported the circumstances but when I clicked submit I was asked to log in to the Community. Tried to reset my Community password but kept getting a dialogue box "Authentication Required" community.talktalk.co.uk requesting UN and PW. "The site says "Lithium"". Tried entering my Community UN and PW but was directed to a page saying "Authorization denied" (or something like that.

Reported via 150 with partial satisfaction. However, I'm in now but most annoying.

Gondola
Community Star

Hi @colbry

You can also Check and Report a suspicious 'phone number (Click here)  It's the new easy way to report a suspicious number right here on Community.  Try it.

Looks like it was reported about an hour ago so maybe that was you via the Customer Service agent?

I'll report the difficulties logging in to Community.

Heidi2
First Timer

I had the same call but the number was 01379119878,i just hung up but have reported it too. 

Heidi
martinryder
Team Player

Had the same a couple of weeks ago. They now use professional call centre numbers and have all your data from the talktalk hack. They knew my name, address and all my private details. This is an ongoing scam from the Indian sub continent. Talktalk are reluctant to warn its customers fearing bad publicity.

Gondola
Community Star

Hi Martin

Why didn't you report the number on Check and Report? You could have stopped others getting the same call! 

Come on now. Let's Beat the Scammers together!

martinryder
Team Player

I did!. 3 weeks ago

martinryder
Team Player

I reported all numbers that called me straight away. Customer services only contacted me yesterday. Again please check your records

Gondola
Community Star

Hi Martin

I'd already checked the Check and Report records and that number was only reported 2 days ago and not by you.  Huge thanks to Heidi2 who did report using Check and Report.

We cannot see or know what your conversations were with Customer Services so all I'm saying is help us to beat the scammers together and use Check and Report.

But if you use CallSafe you probably won't get scammers bothering you no matter where they collected their information from.

martinryder
Team Player

If you read my reply I stated I was contacted by professional call centre scam in India. I reported that number to the customer services 3 weeks ago

martinryder
Team Player

It was with the customer service telephone operator over 3 weeks ago. It was only resolved 2 days ago. 

I complained on the 2nd March because of bad customer service and lack of reply

My QR# 180302-000632  

soapster
First Timer

I've just had a call from 029384598746 - automated message to say my internet would be cut off today. If this was a problem, press 1.

That routes to a call handler who didn't confirm any details - said they'd check the account and confirmed there was a problem with my router. If I turn on my computer, they'd be able to show me the problem (how clever).

When I suggested they weren't really from TalkTalk, he assured me he was - I then used some choice language and hung up - shysters!

Gondola
Community Star

Hi @soapster

Please be aware that scammers are calling customers claiming to be from TalkTalk, including automated calls advising you to press 1.  DO NOT press any numbers. Hang up. TalkTalk DO NOT make automated calls. It’s a scam.

If you receive an unexpected call claiming to be from TalkTalk and are in any doubt, just hang up, wait 5 minutes and then call TalkTalk from your home 'phone on 150. Please do report the number using Check and Report

AllyR
First Timer

Hi, I've just had a call from 01495710519 claiming to be TT stating I had a problem with my router. I hung up, I just didn't think it felt genuine.

ViewMeister
Participant

Hi @Poops1

Are scam calls a particular problem on Talktalk? I've been with a number of other ISPs/phone providers and never had more than a once in a blue moon call on those.

ViewMeister
martinryder
Team Player
It depends if your data was stolen and the cyber attacker had access customer your data.

Talktalk still refuses to warn its customers about these scams

https://ico.org.uk/about-the-ico/news-and-events/news-and-blogs/2016/10/talktalk-gets-record-400-000...
ViewMeister
Participant

Hmmm... hopefully this will be the only such incident and the fine has focussed people's minds on security.

ViewMeister