What exactly is the point of 'Check & Report'?

4 REPLIES 4
exPipex
Conversation Starter

There is no indication that any of the last 137 reported scam numbers over the last three days has been blocked.

If all the reports are likely to be genuine, what exactly is the point of 'Check and Report' if fewer than 1% of them results in any action and why should people waste their time providing scam callers’ numbers to TalkTalk in this way?

ferguson
Community Star

I have found 3 in the last 3 days, the sheer volume undoubtedly makes this difficult as must the proper investigation required before a number can be blocked. But it clearly does happen and people should not be discouraged from continuing to report.

exPipex
Conversation Starter
Your dedication is much appreciated but, because there is so much caller ID spoofing by the scammers, is there much point in blocking numbers? Presumably a scammer will either discover quickly that a number has been blocked or randomly generate one each call, so with 100,000,000,000 numbers to choose from, they are unlikely to run out!
ferguson
Community Star

My "dedication" to what? Along with other providers TalkTalk offer many ways to deal with the scourge of scam calls, Check & Report is just one of them. Have you tried CallSafe?

exPipex
Conversation Starter
Thank you. I will give CallSafe a try, but it doesn't answer the question as to why people should waste their time reporting scam numbers, considering that:
a) TalkTalk isn't (apparently) devoting enough resource to deal with the volume of reported numbers;
b) Many of the numbers are spoofed, so what is the point in blocking them?

I think many would like to know the answer. There is clearing a wide range of expertise on the community so, (surely) sharing the knowledge about the technical challenges and ideas for countering scam calls can only be a good thing and benefit TalkTalk and its customers in the long run.