Mobile support

For any questions about your TalkTalk mobile service.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Claiming an essential SIM

cuzzy
Chatterbox
Message 18 of 18

I've been trying to claim an essential sim but was told on Chat that I wasn't entitled to one as I'd joined TalkTalk broadband after the free sim offer had ended. I was sure that it showed I was entitled to one when signing up but don't have any evidence to back this up.

Can anyone please tell me on what date the free essential sim offer actually ended so that I can check if I am entitled to one please?

Thanks.

0 Likes
17 REPLIES 17

Message 1 of 18

Hi Cuzzy

The situation is that if a customer was or is offered a free Essential Sim during the order process then the customer will receive an Essential Sim with a £5 discount on its £5 value.

Every household is entitled to one Essential Sim and it's either with a £5 discount or a £2 discount whilst you're a Broadband customer. It's still good value even with the £2 discount.

At the moment I just think it's an oversight that Customer Service agents have been advised about a cut-off date but not it seems that some customers have been offered free Sims during their orders after the cut-off date.

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2021

Like below to appreciate my help . . . Mark as solved + Accept as Solution

0 Likes

Message 2 of 18
I've been away from this thread for a few days and have to say that I'd given up on the Free Essentials Sim as I signed up to TalkTalk after the cut-off date (still not sure when that was exactly though?) but as I signed up on the 31st July and Orange Bucket did on the 5th August I'm even more confused. Your experience sounds very similar to mine but I have nothing in writing stating that I was entitled to a Free Essentials Sim.
I guess the definition is that the Essentials Sim is in itself 'free' but it is a £3 a month contract as opposed to the Free Essentials Sim being not only 'free sim but £0 a month contract'.
It really could've been worded better by TalkTalk by calling one a Free Sim and the other an Essentials Sim.
0 Likes

Message 3 of 18

Thanks. I've started a new thread about the SIM. The setup fee was correctly zero at the beginning of my order process but there was a glitch mid-way through (which may be a factor) and only when I'd completed it did I realise it had sneaked back in to the total. It appeared in my order confirmation letter and appears in the estimated bill and it just remains to be seen what happens in the actual first bill. I've already got a note on my account recording the issue so it shouldn't be a big deal to get it sorted if need be.

Graham

0 Likes

Message 4 of 18

Hi @OrangeBucket

Quick one-off reply from me, but if you wish to set up a new topic of your own it is best. 

In your case, it's clear cut in my opinion. Your confirmations during the order process and subsequently say you will receive the full £5 discount on the Essential Sim for as long as you're a Broadband customer.

At the time of your order the set-up fees were nil, so although there will be a fee shown on your order / billing there should be a corresponding credit on your billing to cancel out.  It's just an accounting thing because it costs TalkTalk to set up your services. 

0 Likes

OrangeBucket
Conversation Starter
Message 5 of 18

Joining in on this thread (apologies if that is bad form). I placed my order on 5th August and, although I wouldn't like to say I knew about it before I ordered, it clearly stated at the end of the process that I'd be entitled to a Free SIM and I could read about it in my 'Offers and Upgrades' when I go live, which I did yesterday. There being nothing to be seen I've been on chat and finally discovered it is now £3 a month, and that certainly wasn't mentioned. This despite my 'ready to go letter' received last night saying under "Your package is also loaded with extras, as standard": "The Essential mobile SIM, including 200 free minutes, free unlimited texts and 500MB of data every month." Standard doesn't mean you pay for it.

Mind you the order process also introduced a £60 setup fee that wasn't there at the start, but that's another thing I need to get sorted if it makes it to my first bill.

Graham

Message 6 of 18
Just checked both mine and my grans order confirmations and there is no mention of the Essentials Sim (Free or otherwise) on either but she was able to claim the free sim so I guess the cutoff point must've been the end of June?.
I guess I'll probably end up letting my EE mobile contract expire (next April) and then see if I can still claim the Essentials Sim then as there's really no point in starting a 2nd contract now however cheap (unless it was free).
I'd have to say that the Essentials Sim is still superb value especially in an area where there's no 4G like I'm in.
Thanks Gondola for all your helpful advise.
0 Likes

Message 7 of 18

Your gran was perfectly ok, well within time and no issues about claiming. 

The only folks that may need support to claim are those signing up in July when some claims were turned down unreasonably in my opinion but it does depend on what you were told and how you signed up. 

0 Likes

Message 8 of 18

cuzzy - would be worth a moment to examine your email order confirmation also.

Will do, when exactly was the cut-off date though?, my gran only signed up on 23rd June.

0 Likes

Message 9 of 18

Thanks for the response, Will see how I get on claiming it after monday.

0 Likes

Message 10 of 18

Hi @garytastic

You're in a much easier position to comment on.  If TalkTalk have put it in writing in your order confirmation that the order includes the ability to claim a Free Essential Sim (rather than an Essential Sim - there is a difference) then you most certainly can push a claim for that Free Sim.

It is beyond the cut-off date for the Free Sim but your order confirmation is part of your contract.

cuzzy - would be worth a moment to examine your email order confirmation also.

0 Likes

Message 11 of 18

This thread caught my attention as when I placed my order on 4/08/17 my order confirmation said that once i go live ( 21/08/17 ) I would be able to claim my free sim.

Is this some kind of error on Talktalks side as reading this thread makes it appear that we are past some cut off date.

0 Likes

Message 12 of 18
Thanks I've done as you suggested.
Much appreciated
0 Likes

Message 13 of 18

Hi cuzzy

What I'm going to do is create a new topic for you from these posts and then hand over to the OCE's because although there was no mention on the sales page from where an order would have been started I don't know 100% whether there was anything that came up during an order on 31 July that mentioned an Essential Sim being Free. 

As always, an element of doubt should be in your favour. 

Ensure your Community Profile Personal Information (Click here) includes your landline phone number and an alternate number (mobile recommended). Add, then scroll down and save changes. The Community support OCE's (TalkTalk team) will then be able to link this topic to your TalkTalk service account.

Message 14 of 18
I'm not sure this is going to be the 'correct' answer but I went straight to the Talktalk web site and ordered there and then. I could've sworn it was there on the order page but any subtle reminder to jog my memory would be appreciated as I really can't remember how else I could've seen it.
Thanks again.
0 Likes

Message 15 of 18

Well, 31 July is well past the cut-off date for the Free Essential Sim...BUT if you say where and how you placed the order and where you saw the Free Sim offer at that point I may still be able to help point you in the right direction. 

What I'm hinting at here is that there were still places mentioning the free Sim at the time you placed your order.

0 Likes

Message 16 of 18
Hi, Firstly thanks for your help.

I placed the order on the 31st July and my start date (day it went live) was 14th August.
I'm sure I read the free sim offer at the point of placing the order which is where I understood that I would be eligible to claim one once my TalkTalk broadband had gone live.

I recently advised my grandmother to get broadband which she did via Talktalk and got her free sim as part of her package, it was one of the reasons that I decided to switch from BT (who were useless!). I'm currently in a mobile phone contract with EE which I planned to let run out as the free Essentials deal would've probably been adequate for my needs.

I'd be grateful for any help.
0 Likes

Gondola
Community Star
Message 17 of 18

Hi @cuzzy

The qualifying date is the date of TalkTalk's acceptance of your order which is your contract start date. The claim for the Essential Sim isn't until after your services go live so don't let that worry you.

So, first, what is your contract start date?

Next, what was the order date?  And how did you place the order for your services and where did you see the free Sim offer just prior to or at the point of placing the order? 

If I can I'll help you with a claim.

Just to say that the Essential Sim is still a good deal.  It's £5 value, previously with a £5 discount making it free but now for new customers with a £2 discount making it £3 a month so better than you'll get elsewhere and worth having.

0 Likes