Mobile support

For any questions about your TalkTalk mobile service.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Leaving TalkTalk broadband - what happens to the Essential SIM and its mobile number?

Uakari
Whizz Kid
Message 16 of 16

As stated in title,

If leaving TalkTalk for broadband, does the Essential SIM get cancelled automatically or does it continue? If it continues, do I still have the same TalkTalk account just for the Essential SIM? Does it still cost £3 per month or does the price change?

I'm very anxious not to lose the mobile number as had it for years, so need to know that either it definitely continues or whether I'll need to do a PAC to another provider.

0 Likes
15 REPLIES 15

Message 1 of 16

'Uakari' wrote: ...Thanks Gondola. I don't suppose still being a TalkTalk mobile customer but not being a TalkTalk home broadband customer allows one to keep the Homechoice email address without paying the annual £50 fee?

Going back to your specific question on 10th Feb, just to acknowledge that we've just discussed this very point via an exchange of PM's.

The homechoice email address is already added to a former MyAccount that is still active for TalkTalk Mobile. The decision to close TalkTalk Mobile has been reversed. So the MyAccount remains active to support billing for TalkTalk Mobile.

The MailPlus online subscription verification will not allow you to subscribe to MailPlus whilst the email address is linked to an active MyAccount. So, whilst you retain a TalkTalk Mobile service and not able to subscribe to MailPlus the email address should continue to remain active. You cannot create new email addresses so TalkTalk Mail is limited in that respect. But otherwise you have full access across your devices for the existing homechoice email address by virtue of having an ongoing TalkTalk Mobile service.

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2022

Like below to appreciate my help . . . Mark as solved  Accept as Solution

0 Likes

Message 2 of 16

Hi Uakari 

The homechoice mailbox is on the TalkTalk Consumer Mail platform alongside the other legacy domains. It'll be treated identically to talktalk.net mailboxes.

To retain the homechoice domain email address will require users to have the email address added to a TalkTalk Consumer customer MyAccount - either an active home broadband MyAccount or MailPlus mail only subscription MyAccount.

There is a way to escape deletion for two years, if that's of interest. TalkTalk will notify you before deletion takes place. At that point subscribe to MailPlus at £5/m and then during the month call to cancel. You'll have webmail only access for two more years before the deletion takes place.

About TalkTalk Mail Plus

Subscribe to TalkTalk MailPlus

Cancel TalkTalk MailPlus

Something to consider if the full access of the subscription service isn't needed and the extended period after cancelling will help in the ease of migration to another mail service.

Message 3 of 16

Many thanks Gondola. Yes I have noticed that the Homechoice email address works with the TalkTalk servers now, when for a long time it didn't (which was annoying when trying to use this email address when out and about because the Homechoice SMTP server was not set up for SMTP authentication). I suppose I was just hoping that by using only the old Homechoice servers the email address might slip through the net of being deleted unless taking the MailPlus subscription, but I'm inferring from your reply that that is not the case.

Message 4 of 16

Hi Uakari 

The TalkTalk Mobile contract is a rolling month by month contract that's always been a standalone contract. Sorry to say that it's only a TalkTalk Consumer home broadband contract that includes the benefit of a free TalkTalk Mail service.

The homechoice.co.uk domain is supported by TalkTalk Mail and redirects to talktalk.net servers. Homechoice servers are already in the rest home for long service to email. You'd use the mail.talktalk.net incoming server host name and smtp.talktalk.net outgoing SMTP server host name to directly address the mail servers for your homechoice email address and password. You can keep your legacy homechoice email address fully active for free as part of a TalkTalk Consumer home broadband package or opt for a MailPlus subscription. Your choice.

If you leave TalkTalk and subsequently return then taking out a MailPlus subscription on leaving will preserve the email address and the subscription payment would cease on your return when you add the email address to the new customer MyAccount.

I hope that's helpful.

Message 5 of 16

Thanks Gondola. I don't suppose still being a TalkTalk mobile customer but not being a TalkTalk home broadband customer allows one to keep the Homechoice email address without paying the annual £50 fee?

Or I don't suppose that a Homechoice email address would continue to work using imap.homechoice.co.uk / smtp.homechoice.co.uk without paying the £50 fee. because these are older servers from before Homechoice was taken over by TalkTalk?

Gondola
Community Star
Message 6 of 16

Hi Uakari 

The Free Data Boost continues.

As with any part of the TalkTalk Mobile month by month rolling contract TalkTalk Mobile can give you one month notice of any changes to the contract. 

When you leave TalkTalk as a home broadband customer you'll find that you will no longer be able to create new email addresses. You will be able to manage your existing email addresses via your MyAccount. You will be able to use webmail and email client access via IMAP or POP and SMTP sending via the smtp.talktalk.net mail server host.

At some point you will be sent an email from TalkTalk advising that as you are no longer a TalkTalk home broadband customer your mailboxes will be limited to webmail only access and after 6 months deleted.

But you will be offered the opportunity to subscribe to TalkTalk MailPlus at £50pa or £5pm to retain the full use of TalkTalk Mail across your email devices.

About TalkTalk Mail Plus

Cancel your TalkTalk service

Uakari
Whizz Kid
Message 7 of 16

On the Essential SIM bills it also says I get a 'free data boost' of 250 MB (so 500 MB total instead of 250 MB). Will this data boost also continue if I leave for broadband/home phone?

Also, will all my TalkTalk and Homechoice email addresses still work when with a new broadband provider, as long as I keep the same email settings (signing into the TalkTalk IMAP and SMTP servers in my email program or using webmail)?

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Message 8 of 16

@Uakari TalkTalk have never offered a mobile only service, their now historic/legacy mobile service was however only ever offered to TalkTalk customers, just to clear that point up.

0 Likes

Message 9 of 16

TalkTalk have never offered a mobile only service to new customers.

TALKTALK MOBILE TERMS AND CONDITIONS
These are our mobile terms and conditions which, together with our customer terms
and conditions, apply to all residential customers when they order mobile services from us.
1 ELIGIBILITY
1.1 To take mobile services from us, you, or someone at your address, must take telephony or
broadband services from us. As we give you discounted charges for this, if this situation
changes, we may increase your charges to our standard rates.

As I explained, TalkTalk reserve the right to remove the £2 discount when you are no longer a TalkTalk home broadband customer. 

0 Likes

Uakari
Whizz Kid
Message 10 of 16

Thanks so much! Why do they say TalkTalk mobile is only for existing TalkTalk customers then?

On another note, do you know why the agents on the live chat are taking so long or not responding at all recently? Is there a quicker way I can get hold of someone to discuss my account? By phone?

0 Likes

Message 11 of 16

I am absolutely sure.

The Essential SIM contract is entirely separate and always was separate from the outset from a TalkTalk Consumer home broadband contract although initially sold as part of a package.  The reason for it being separate is that, unlike a fixed term home broadband contract the Essential SIM contract is on a month by month basis. Look in the MyAccount and you'll see your Essential SIM contract end date is one month after you were issued with the SIM. The contract is ended by switching to another provider via the PAC code or ending the contract on 30 days' notice. TalkTalk can also give you 30 days' notice. But that's ample time to switch.

The current situation on TalkTalk Mobile is what was reported by TalkTalk under its new 'Tosca' ownership.

Following the Group’s announcement in May 2017 to exit our MVNO operations, trading profits of £3m have been recognised, compared to £7m in the prior year. A new commercial MVNO deal was signed in FY21 which alters the previous strategy to wind down this business.

TalkTalk annual report 2021 page 11

Whilst TalkTalk have the right, upon notice, to withdraw the £2 discount any loss of customers as a result would erode the £3m in profits that TalkTalk Mobile has been making.

Uakari
Whizz Kid
Message 12 of 16

Thanks Gondola - very helpful. Are you 100% sure that the Essential SIM will continue even without being a broadband/home phone customer, as originally it was sold as a benefit for TalkTalk broadband/home phone customers. Also the TalkTalk mobile page says that TalkTalk mobile isn't available unless you're a TalkTalk broadband/home phone customer. So it is a bit confusing.

Is it definitely a case of once you've been assigned an Essential SIM, they just don't take it away from you even if you leave all other TalkTalk services? My worst fear is them suddenly deciding to cancel it without telling me once they cotton on I've left for broadband/home phone, and then losing my phone number, which I've had since 2003!

Gondola
Community Star
Message 13 of 16

NB if you wish to speak to the TalkTalk Mobile team it's 0345 172 0044 option 1.

Free from a TalkTalk landline otherwise at a local call rate.

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Message 14 of 16

For all details concerning mobiles, call Talktalk  on 03451 720088 or 03451 720046, after 9am. 

Staff on here don't cover these issues. 

You can also speak to Chat, after 9am, to reach it live. After 9pm, overnight,  it is a bot:

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Articles/Our-live-chat-team/ta-p/2230529

Cancellation of your main Broadband package is also done by phoning the numbers above, unless you are moving to another Openreach serviced ISP.

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.
0 Likes

Gondola
Community Star
Message 15 of 16

Hi Uakari 

The TalkTalk Mobile contract is separate from the home broadband contract and will continue. You'll continue to see itemised billing in your existing MyAccount for the mobile Essential SIM contract. That billing will continue at £3 per month unless otherwise notified. The Terms and Conditions do allow TalkTalk to remove the £2 discount but as yet haven't seen that carried out when customers cancel or switch broadband. 

The 2021 Annual Report included a statement indicating that TalkTalk have signed a new agreement reversing its decision to close TalkTalk Mobile. So, we just await the details of what is going to happen and what new offers are going to be available.

If you're ok with the TalkTalk Mobile SIM service then retain it. You can always switch provider at a future date.