Mobile support

For any questions about your TalkTalk mobile service.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Leaving TalkTalk broadband - what happens to the Essential SIM and its mobile number?

Uakari
Whizz Kid
Message 11 of 11

As stated in title,

If leaving TalkTalk for broadband, does the Essential SIM get cancelled automatically or does it continue? If it continues, do I still have the same TalkTalk account just for the Essential SIM? Does it still cost £3 per month or does the price change?

I'm very anxious not to lose the mobile number as had it for years, so need to know that either it definitely continues or whether I'll need to do a PAC to another provider.

0 Likes
10 REPLIES 10

Gondola
Community Star
Message 1 of 11

Hi Uakari 

The Free Data Boost continues.

As with any part of the TalkTalk Mobile month by month rolling contract TalkTalk Mobile can give you one month notice of any changes to the contract. 

When you leave TalkTalk as a home broadband customer you'll find that you will no longer be able to create new email addresses. You will be able to manage your existing email addresses via your MyAccount. You will be able to use webmail and email client access via IMAP or POP and SMTP sending via the smtp.talktalk.net mail server host.

At some point you will be sent an email from TalkTalk advising that as you are no longer a TalkTalk home broadband customer your mailboxes will be limited to webmail only access and after 6 months deleted.

But you will be offered the opportunity to subscribe to TalkTalk MailPlus at £50pa or £5pm to retain the full use of TalkTalk Mail across your email devices.

About TalkTalk Mail Plus

Cancel your TalkTalk service

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2021

Like below to appreciate my help . . . Mark as solved + Accept as Solution

0 Likes

Uakari
Whizz Kid
Message 2 of 11

On the Essential SIM bills it also says I get a 'free data boost' of 250 MB (so 500 MB total instead of 250 MB). Will this data boost also continue if I leave for broadband/home phone?

Also, will all my TalkTalk and Homechoice email addresses still work when with a new broadband provider, as long as I keep the same email settings (signing into the TalkTalk IMAP and SMTP servers in my email program or using webmail)?

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Message 3 of 11

@Uakari TalkTalk have never offered a mobile only service, their now historic/legacy mobile service was however only ever offered to TalkTalk customers, just to clear that point up.

0 Likes

Message 4 of 11

TalkTalk have never offered a mobile only service to new customers.

TALKTALK MOBILE TERMS AND CONDITIONS
These are our mobile terms and conditions which, together with our customer terms
and conditions, apply to all residential customers when they order mobile services from us.
1 ELIGIBILITY
1.1 To take mobile services from us, you, or someone at your address, must take telephony or
broadband services from us. As we give you discounted charges for this, if this situation
changes, we may increase your charges to our standard rates.

As I explained, TalkTalk reserve the right to remove the £2 discount when you are no longer a TalkTalk home broadband customer. 

0 Likes

Uakari
Whizz Kid
Message 5 of 11

Thanks so much! Why do they say TalkTalk mobile is only for existing TalkTalk customers then?

On another note, do you know why the agents on the live chat are taking so long or not responding at all recently? Is there a quicker way I can get hold of someone to discuss my account? By phone?

0 Likes

Message 6 of 11

I am absolutely sure.

The Essential SIM contract is entirely separate and always was separate from the outset from a TalkTalk Consumer home broadband contract although initially sold as part of a package.  The reason for it being separate is that, unlike a fixed term home broadband contract the Essential SIM contract is on a month by month basis. Look in the MyAccount and you'll see your Essential SIM contract end date is one month after you were issued with the SIM. The contract is ended by switching to another provider via the PAC code or ending the contract on 30 days' notice. TalkTalk can also give you 30 days' notice. But that's ample time to switch.

The current situation on TalkTalk Mobile is what was reported by TalkTalk under its new 'Tosca' ownership.

Following the Group’s announcement in May 2017 to exit our MVNO operations, trading profits of £3m have been recognised, compared to £7m in the prior year. A new commercial MVNO deal was signed in FY21 which alters the previous strategy to wind down this business.

TalkTalk annual report 2021 page 11

Whilst TalkTalk have the right, upon notice, to withdraw the £2 discount any loss of customers as a result would erode the £3m in profits that TalkTalk Mobile has been making.

Uakari
Whizz Kid
Message 7 of 11

Thanks Gondola - very helpful. Are you 100% sure that the Essential SIM will continue even without being a broadband/home phone customer, as originally it was sold as a benefit for TalkTalk broadband/home phone customers. Also the TalkTalk mobile page says that TalkTalk mobile isn't available unless you're a TalkTalk broadband/home phone customer. So it is a bit confusing.

Is it definitely a case of once you've been assigned an Essential SIM, they just don't take it away from you even if you leave all other TalkTalk services? My worst fear is them suddenly deciding to cancel it without telling me once they cotton on I've left for broadband/home phone, and then losing my phone number, which I've had since 2003!

Gondola
Community Star
Message 8 of 11

NB if you wish to speak to the TalkTalk Mobile team it's 0345 172 0044 option 1.

Free from a TalkTalk landline otherwise at a local call rate.

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Message 9 of 11

For all details concerning mobiles, call Talktalk  on 03451 720088 or 03451 720046, after 9am. 

Staff on here don't cover these issues. 

You can also speak to Chat, after 9am, to reach it live. After 9pm, overnight,  it is a bot:

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Articles/Our-live-chat-team/ta-p/2230529

Cancellation of your main Broadband package is also done by phoning the numbers above, unless you are moving to another Openreach serviced ISP.

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.
0 Likes

Gondola
Community Star
Message 10 of 11

Hi Uakari 

The TalkTalk Mobile contract is separate from the home broadband contract and will continue. You'll continue to see itemised billing in your existing MyAccount for the mobile Essential SIM contract. That billing will continue at £3 per month unless otherwise notified. The Terms and Conditions do allow TalkTalk to remove the £2 discount but as yet haven't seen that carried out when customers cancel or switch broadband. 

The 2021 Annual Report included a statement indicating that TalkTalk have signed a new agreement reversing its decision to close TalkTalk Mobile. So, we just await the details of what is going to happen and what new offers are going to be available.

If you're ok with the TalkTalk Mobile SIM service then retain it. You can always switch provider at a future date.