Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Mobile charges by the minute or second?

6 REPLIES 6
ken01
Whizz Kid

Hi, my partner has just received charges on top of her normal bill for minutes used. I’ve checked and she has made some calls that last 1 second and been charged 50p for a minute. Can I ask a question, is this correct? She hardly uses her phone and this is surprising to get extra charges.

if she makes a call that only lasts 1 or 2 seconds, a full minute comes off her minutes in her monthly allowance?

On the bill in “my account’” these calls are shown as 1 minute, on her phone they show the actual call length which is 1 or 2 seconds. 

She is on the basic monthly mobile sim plan that originally came free with the TalkTalk tv package now charged at £3.00 per month.

ive looks at the small print available online and I cannot find details on this.

thankyou

Gondola
Community Star

Hi Ken

Here's the Mobile pricing guide.

The Essential SIM has 200 minutes included in the plan. If the call is off-plan then, yes, the call cost is 50p per minute.  The downloadable call costs are in the guide.

Gondola - Volunteer 2017-2021

To appreciate my help . . . If I offered a solution Best Answer

ken01
Whizz Kid

So a 1 second call counts as 1 minute? Even inside of her allowance of 200 minutes?

Gondola
Community Star

Hi Ken

All mobile tariffs are similar in that respect.

The operators are charged a fee for the connection of a call so not able to charge by the second for the first minute of the call as every short duration call would be great for the customer but loss making for the operator.

The TalkTalk Mobile tariff is a charge by the minute tariff. But this is just for out of bundle charges when the inclusive 200 minutes are used up. Just to clarify, if each call is under a minute that would be 200 calls per month, 2400 calls a year.

There are also unlimited texts in the SIM package. So as many of those as desired (subject to reasonable use).

ken01
Whizz Kid

Ok thanks for your replies.

We made the assumption that a quick 1 or 30 second call would be just that and not rounded up to a minute, It’s not a great deal in extra charges but I certainly could do without it as at the moment on lockdown I’m earning zero.

Gondola
Community Star

Hi Ken

I would normally suggest using Wi-Fi Calling but TalkTalk Mobile doesn't support the feature.

However, the TalkTalk partner O2 does have mobile offers for TalkTalk customers and does support Wi-Fi calling.  This is where you use the mobile but connect to your TakTalk broadband to make a call via the router's Wi-Fi network at home.

About Wi-Fi Calling 

You can also use Internet calling features like Skype to make computer to computer calls and video calls to stay in touch with friends and family.  There's absolutely no limit or additional cost on your broadband bill for unlimited Internet. 

TalkTalk has made commitments to support customers and show kindness and compassion as it keeps Britain connected.  So, bottom line, if you would like specific help because of the circumstances of the Government special measures do please say and the TalkTalk team will respond.

ken01
Whizz Kid

Yes, she’ll be using WhatsApp calls while at home from now on.

thanks