Mobile support

For any questions about your TalkTalk mobile service.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Move to O2

maniben
Philosopher
Message 27 of 27

I cant undertsand the deafening silence by TT about the move to O2.

As per the latest info, Sainsburys's mobile has agreed to stop being an MVNO (via Vodafone carrier)  for low numbers AND clients unhappy with Vodafone degraded signals/data for MVNOs.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-34530384

The other reason cited is that Vodafone wants to move away from MVNO offerings (which they oversold despite capacity constraints) and offeringlower priority to such MVNOs and drive customers to their own services directly.(more money)

All the more reason for TT to make their move ASAP. Hopefully this will also stop the grumbles about ghost charges  and 48 hour delayed billing excuses to sting customers.

The other concern is O2s takeover by Three network which is also on ice due to regulatory reviews. IS that one of the reasons  (billing issues and market share issues) holding up this move by TT? Or Three not happy with the contract terms TT is negotiating with O2 ?

Useful if someone in the know can shed some light please.

26 REPLIES 26

kardking
Conversation Starter
Message 1 of 27

From what I've noticed a large number of the extremely popular Chinese brands or brands phones coming out of China via the likes of Gearbest, Tomtop, Banggood and Geekbuying for example can't use 02 4g frequency, so your right to bring this to people's attention. And the number of UK customers buying phones from China evidently is on the increase.

0 Likes

Message 2 of 27

ANy new Bump Bump

Hope that help Regards Joe
If so then give me a Kudos ( Click the Thumb up Button)
0 Likes

Message 3 of 27

@Peregrine wrote:

This website tells you which phones will work on which network. I tried a few common models and the UK versions all work with O2 on all bands. Some foreign versions, for example the Korean Samsung Galaxy A3 don't work on 4G and only on some bands of 3G. Obviously it's not a thorough investigation, I just tried various models that came to mind to get an idea

http://willmyphonework.net/

I'm with Tesco which piggybacks on O2. It doesn't have the 4G coverage that my daugther gets with EE, but it's absolutely fine in 99% of the places I go.

Was after oce to answer as they can ask the mobile team.????

0 Likes

Message 4 of 27

This website tells you which phones will work on which network. I tried a few common models and the UK versions all work with O2 on all bands. Some foreign versions, for example the Korean Samsung Galaxy A3 don't work on 4G and only on some bands of 3G. Obviously it's not a thorough investigation, I just tried various models that came to mind to get an idea

http://willmyphonework.net/

I'm with Tesco which piggybacks on O2. It doesn't have the 4G coverage that my daugther gets with EE, but it's absolutely fine in 99% of the places I go.

Message 5 of 27
It is not a scare story, Ferguson. It is a very simple awareness thing. Buyers beware and all that. Careful what you wish for. Do you know how much of this 800 Mhz spectrum has O2 deployed nationwide for 4G services? I know of many people who struggle to get the 4G signals of O2 on this band in CIty centres too . That band is still not mainstream and thus lacking on many handsets too.
0 Likes

Message 6 of 27

@maniben When you post your scare stories it may be more helpful if you provide a bit more detail. Any major phone from any major supplier will happily work on O2. If you shop for handsets on the likes of eBay and elsewhere in the nether regions of Chinese technology then that is another matter. 😉

0 Likes

Message 7 of 27
Also be aware guys, who are hankering after 4G with O2: They operate on only one 800 Mhz frequency and not many handsets support that band (20 I think). So practical limitations of handset compliance and compatibility needs to be factored in when yearning for 4G on O2. I have given up on TT "doing the right thing" a la Ms. May .
0 Likes

Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 8 of 27

@Gondola wrote:

... but I'll ask some topic relevant questions in the meantime.

Deals with a 4G service are easy to obtain, the iD SIM only, at £5 a month, seems particularly attractive but there are others including the discounted deals at £5 a month for package broadband customers.

iD is a good offer, but no good for me, it uses the 3 network whose signal where I live is not good, Plusnet uses EE which is fine here

So, is it just a concern that the TalkTalk Free Essential SIM isn't offering 4G currently and the move to the O2 network seemed to promise 4G... just like TalkTalk Business customers receive via the O2 network?

Thats the question just about everyone is asking, if TT had made the move to O2 a couple of years ago problem solved, but instead of that the issue is just dragging on and on..

What if the Free Essential SIM stayed free but just on a 2G / 3G 'platform' but you could buy a Boost for 4G data? 

That would obviously depend on the price, from a personal point of view I'm very happy with the service Plusnet are giving me and it's unlikely I'd change back.

And the paid for SIM deals included the 4G 'platform' with entry level paid for SIM only packages being comparable to the discounted 'bundled' packages offered by TalkTalk's competitors as outlined in the previous post?

Once again, it depends on the price, can't really speculate on that.

As a customer that's pleased to have a Free Essential SIM with 500MB of data but without needing a 'new platform' with 4G speeds I wouldn't wish to see the 'customer offering' include 4G but at a price. 

Personal choice, I have a 4G handset, so I'm happy to pay for a 4G service, for data usage 4G is much quicker than 3G

0 Likes

Message 9 of 27

... but I'll ask some topic relevant questions in the meantime.

Deals with a 4G service are easy to obtain, the iD SIM only, at £5 a month, seems particularly attractive but there are others including the discounted deals at £5 a month for package broadband customers.

So, is it just a concern that the TalkTalk Free Essential SIM isn't offering 4G currently and the move to the O2 network seemed to promise 4G... just like TalkTalk Business customers receive via the O2 network?

What if the Free Essential SIM stayed free but just on a 2G / 3G 'platform' but you could buy a Boost for 4G data? 

And the paid for SIM deals included the 4G 'platform' with entry level paid for SIM only packages being comparable to the discounted 'bundled' packages offered by TalkTalk's competitors as outlined in the previous post?

As a customer that's pleased to have a Free Essential SIM with 500MB of data but without needing a 'new platform' with 4G speeds I wouldn't wish to see the 'customer offering' include 4G but at a price. 

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2021

Like below to appreciate my help . . . Mark as solved + Accept as Solution

0 Likes

Message 10 of 27

... Such a shame that the Plusnet deal isn't available now to non Plusnet customers who only get 500MB data.  But the comparisons on entry level SIM deals for bundled package customers are interesting. 

BT Mobile £5 Data 500MB, Minutes 400, Texts Unlimited, BT Wi-fi Unlimited (for BT broadband customers) £10 for others
Plusnet £5 Data 1GB, Minutes 250, Texts 500 (for Plusnet Broadband customers) Data 500Mb for others
Sky £5 Data 500MB, Minutes Unlimited, Texts Unlimited (for Sky TV customers) £10 for others
TalkTalk Free Data 500MB, Minutes 200, Texts Unlimited (for TalkTalk customers) 30 day contract only

I can now see why I'm good with the TalkTalk Essential SIM.  Don't really need 4G for 500MB.  But I see I'd have to pay £60 a year to get just 50 extra minutes a month and a cap on texts with Plusnet!  Or go for their £6 a month deal for extra data or with iD for extra data for £5 on a 30 day contract.

Have to wait and see if Maniben's status quo forecast comes about.  Only a week to go to the AGM to see if anything is mentioned there re O2 and 4G.

0 Likes

Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 11 of 27

@Gondola wrote:

But you’re free to change or cancel your paid SIM plan without charge or penalty if you're affected by the proposed price rise. 

----------

Excellent advice!  ..I did that about 6 months ago, changed my main phone over to Plusnet mainly for the 4G data, 1gb for a fiver pm ..& 500 mins!

I do still have the "freebie" sim for backup though, and I can understand people who are happy to have just that, especially if you only use your mobile for calls & texting, or of course, if you don't have a 4G handset

0 Likes

Message 12 of 27
"Inside out" and "right platform" is corporate-speak gobbledygook and does my head in ! To me it means "we will keep our mobile offerings as a fringe part of our quad-play, with minimum support and investments, and when the dust has settled over O2 sale/buyout whatever, we might make an announcement of where we are going with it ! Total absence of a strategy, or in laymans speak, we have no clue what to do with the mobile division ! Its best to be with the devil we know, aka Vodacon, and remain and wallow in our mediocrity ethos.

Message 13 of 27

Costs to TalkTalk are increasing so some of that is going to result in paid SIM prices going up in August (Click here)

There's no impact at all on the Free Essential SIM and price increases for customers not on a promotional paid SIM rate start at only £1 and only go up to £2.50 for the largest SIM plans.

But you’re free to change or cancel your paid SIM plan without charge or penalty if you're affected by the proposed price rise. 

I'm still feeling good with the Free Essential SIM.  Although I would have liked 4G to have included the femtocell option I'm still optimistic on future mobile deals for us residential customers including 4G.  I'd just like to know what TalkTalk mean by "the right platform"! 

0 Likes

Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 14 of 27

@Gondola wrote:

...the Free essential SIM included with all broadband contracts is still included in the Small Print and on this feature page: Why TalkTalk? / better than ever / mobile made bigger.

Not so prominently featured on the front sales page true.  But still there and whilst other providers are dropping their mobile entry level prices for their broadband customers there's every reason to believe that competition will keep TalkTalk sweet. 

My feeling is that the package deals may well change to reflect both technology and usage patterns but that 'quad-play' will still be hugely important for TalkTalk and its customers.

________

It doesn't seem to be working does it.. TT are definately not sweet at this time having just jacked all of their mobile deals up by £2.50pm, it doesn't take very long to look on a price comparison site to see that there are many better deals available from other suppliers, and the majority of those are offering 4G emoticon.winkingface.title

0 Likes

Message 15 of 27

...the Free essential SIM included with all broadband contracts is still included in the Small Print and on this feature page: Why TalkTalk? / better than ever / mobile made bigger.

Not so prominently featured on the front sales page true.  But still there and whilst other providers are dropping their mobile entry level prices for their broadband customers there's every reason to believe that competition will keep TalkTalk sweet. 

My feeling is that the package deals may well change to reflect both technology and usage patterns but that 'quad-play' will still be hugely important for TalkTalk and its customers.

0 Likes

Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 16 of 27

Gondola, some interesting points there.. on a slightly different take, I can't help but wonder if TT have put their mobile prices up in readiness for the switch to O2, bringing them closer to O2's prices?  An extra £2.50 pm across the board is quite a large increase, most mobile suppliers only increase prices with the rate of the retail price index.. so maybe a move to the O2 network is just around the corner.

..and unless I've missed something, has the free Essential SIM been withdrawn from the promotional blurb for new customers?  ..how long before TT withdraw "free" for existing customers as well? emoticon.scream.title

0 Likes

Message 17 of 27

Following on from the Community Blog I've just skimmed through TalkTalk's Annual Report 2017 and here's an extract relevant to mobile and the move to O2.

"In Mobile, while we remain committed to offering all our customers a compelling proposition, we have decided not to pursue an inside-out mobile network strategy, and instead we will continue to work closely with Telefónica UK (O2) on the right platform and customer offering. We expect to have more information to update on this in due course."

My take on not pursuing an "inside-out" mobile network strategy means that TalkTalk is not going to implement it's 4G LTE Femtocells integrated into a national network of 4G home Super Routers. TalkTalk will save big bucks on the capital intensive costs of developing this national network. 

For not very much money, TalkTalk purchased a nice slice of now valuable radio spectrum at 1880MHz for the network. But O2's 800MHz 4G spectrum does already deliver reasonable in-home coverage.  So I predict that the low-power 1880MHz Femtocell solution could utilise that air-estate asset in partnership with TalkTalk to supplement O2's 4G coverage perhaps integrated initially into some of O2's 15,000 wi-fi hot spots which TalkTalk customers will be able to use. With a compatible phone you'll make calls using wi-fi or 4G seamlessly.

My thoughts only. No firm idea what's meant by working with O2 on the 'right platform' unless it relates to wi-fi calling.  I was sincerely looking forward to TalkTalk proceeding with the Femtocell Super Routers particularly as the trials looked promising. 

Hopefully, after the AGM on 19th July, we'll know a bit more.

0 Likes

Message 18 of 27

They seem to have given up on it unfotunately, My wife jumped to Tesco because of the lack of 4G, and with their anytime upgrade scheme she is unlikely to come back.

0 Likes

Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 19 of 27

@hosay299 wrote:

ANy news on a move to o2??????

Nope.. nothing concrete.. and on top of that TT seem no longer to be competing pricewise, it almost seems that they have given up with mobile..

If you want 4G I'd advise to look elsewhere, TT have been talking about it for 3 years now and they are no closer to providing a 4G service now than they were at the start..

0 Likes

Message 20 of 27

ANy news on a move to o2??????

0 Likes