Did you mean: 
Need help?

Moving the Essential sim to o2

ANSWERED
14 REPLIES 14
gonzinigonz
Conversation Starter

Hi all

I'm a bit confused at the moment, maybe someone can tell me what should happen.

I took up the offer to move over to O2 on a fixed £3 P/M on a 12 month contract deal.

Rang in the day before the free period was up and started off the process to move over.

Once i was talking to O2 off the back of the same phone call comunication took dive as there seemed to be a language barrier between myself and O2's representative.

It ended up with the person rattling on in an non understandable babble for about about 3 minutes. I had to say that i didn't understand a single word that had been said. That seemed to confuse them more. 

Its appears an online account should of been setup with O2 but i cant log on with the details I gave them, the account dosent exist it seems. I don't think they got the right email address.

I have received a new O2 sim card today which having tried in the phone is active and have sent a text to another phone. The number however is not my old number but a new O2 one.

So will Talk Talk present a PAC code to O2 to move my number over automatically or do i have to do this myself? 

Will Talk Talk cancel the old essential simm account? I've been changed £3 from talk talk already for the old account on next bill.
I gather that Talk Talk should cancel the old simm account once the old number has been moved over to O2?

Do i need to do the simm swap text to 20220, I've had a text to say that i do need to from O2.

Does this process move my old number over to the new simm?

Thanks

Steve

Gondola
Community Star

Hi Steve

You call TalkTalk Mobile on 0345 172 0044 and request the Porting Authorisation Code (PAC Code) for your TalkTalk mobile number. This is a code made up of three letters and six numbers that TalkTalk will email to you.  

Once you've received your O2 SIM pack and temporary O2 number, fill in the O2 Keep My Number Form.

Forms sent by 5:30pm will be completed the next working day. Forms sent after 5:30pm will be completed within two working days.

You'll receive two text messages from O2, one to confirm the date of your switch and one to remind you on the day.

On the day of the number switch when the connection to TalkTalk Mobile disappears on the TalkTalk Mobile SIM you can then put the O2 SIM in the 'phone and your previous TalkTalk number will become active on the O2 SIM.  O2 will confirm to TalkTalk that your TalkTalk Mobile number and contract is cancelled. 

Gondola - Community contributor

To appreciate my help . . . If I offered a solution Best Answer

gonzinigonz
Conversation Starter

Hi, thanks for the reply.

Ok thats makes sense, its a shame this isn't documented anywhere as part of the process.

At no point so far has this been explained, i wrongly presumed that this would of been handled automatically between Talk Talk and O2 seeing as is was an arranged agreement between both parties to move over.  

So basically if i don't PAC the number over to O2 i will be continued to be billed by Talk Talk unless i attempted to cancel the old Talk Talk mobile account.

I want to keep the number anyway.

So i guess i don't need to do the simm swap process? 

Thanks for your help 🙂

Gondola
Community Star
Solution

Hi Steve

TalkTalk document the process in two places: O2 Mobile Offer and Essential SIM Changes.

If you change your mind and don't wish to PAC the existing TalkTalk Mobile number to O2 and instead use the number that O2 have provided then what you do is call TalkTalk Mobile on 0345 172 0044 to cancel your Essential SIM contract.  It's a 30 day rolling contract so 30 days after cancelling the contract it's ended and the TalkTalk Mobile billing will cease.

But if you do PAC the existing TalkTalk Mobile number to O2 then the TalkTalk Mobile billing will cease on the day of the number switch.

Gondola - Community contributor

To appreciate my help . . . If I offered a solution Best Answer

gonzinigonz
Conversation Starter

Hi

So it is, I'll give them a bell tomorrow and get it going. I'm supprised it wasn't mentioned during the phone call to take up the deal.

I wonder now if i will be hit with a cancellation charge from Talk Talk, but i guess I'm in a cooling off period to cancel the new contract with them (if thats what it is??) as it changed over yesterday...

Thanks for your insight with this, sometimes you just need someone to spell it out in plain english what you need to do.

Cheers

gonzinigonz
Conversation Starter
Thanks for the help. its all moved over now.
chrisb1953
Wizz Kid
Anyone know if the O2 £3 a month plan is still an option being offered by O2?
gonzinigonz
Conversation Starter

Ask them on the live chat, they might be keen.

Mines be fine last few months, 4G as well.

chrisb1953
Wizz Kid

Just contacted tt via live chat.

Me: I have a tt essential sim costing £3 a month are O2 still doing the deal to switch to them for £3 a month?

Livechat: You are querying your O2 bill?

Me: no. 

Chat ended by someone, not me.

What a waste of time. 

ferguson
Community Star

@chrisb1953 wrote:
Anyone know if the O2 £3 a month plan is still an option being offered by O2?

No.

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Articles/O2-Mobile-offer/ta-p/2204476

chrisb1953
Wizz Kid

@ferguson

Thankyou for the info. 

Fifer1
Popular Poster

Just signed up to the £5 deal on O2, called talktalk for a PAC code,they are telling me the £3 deal is still available, o2 sales and customer services say this offer is still available. When TalkTalk transfer me on their website to o2 for the deals the cheapest offer that comes up is the £5 one.

What they are telling me now is i will have to cancel the £5 deal and sing up for the £3 one.

What is going on here? it looks like the £3 offer is still there.

Ron
ferguson
Community Star

@Fifer1 Your order is with O2, you will need to sort it out with them. If they want to offer you a SIM deal at £3 then that's great.

chrisb1953
Wizz Kid

Did u get the £3 deal? 

Fifer1
Popular Poster

Didn't try to change from £5 offer to £3.  Cancelling £5 and signing up again to £3 seemed like something could go wrong here, so just ported number and left  it at £5, still a good deal.

Ron