cancel
Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Non-existent call to "Personal Roadwatch" 1 second at £1.50 Is this a scam suffered by others?

12 REPLIES 12
PaulHeaathfield
First Timer

Hi there, I am new to TalkTalk mobile.

I have just complained about a call to Personal Roadwatch - which I did not make - billed to my accout was a 1 second long call charged at £1.50.  I have just called TalkTalk and have been promised a credit for this amount.

Have any other users suffered this?

OCE_Mark
Retired

Hi 

Here. From a qucik search this isnt limited to TalkTalk mobile and results of a misdialling of 2222 or 2223 from a mobile handset, resulting in premium rate charges being applied.

As the call orignated from the handset these calls would be chargeable and no credit would be applied to bils.

Cheers

🙂

LOE76
First Timer

Hi 

Had a similar problem more recently where I was billed £30.00 by Personal Roadwatch and spoke to a very polite customer service advisor who explained that as I had willingly dialled the number she had no authority to re-credit my account. After about 20 minutes of explaining that I would never have willingly dialled a premium rate number (apparently 2222 although not shown on my bill) I eventually gave up and told the advisor that as she had no authority to help me I may as well go on a PAYG service and close all my accounts. It was only then she offered to put me through to her manager which I agreed to but only if he had more authority and not to waste any more time. To my great surprise he straight away confirmed it was a SCAM! and would credit my account immediately!  I then questioned if this was a known issue why did it take 20 minutes of getting nowhere until threatening to close my account before I was put through to him? He said it is a knownissue with many customers in the same situation. If that is the case then why had Talk Talk not warned customers of this- to which he replied they have in the Talk Talk Community section. But apart from this and another older thread I cannot find any mention elsewhere of Personal Roadwatch and more especially anyone receiving a full refund. Hopefully this information will help others who are in a similar position and do not take the advisors apologies that they cannot help as they are fully aware it is a scam.  

Banned

Quote:-

If that is the case then why had Talk Talk not warned customers of this- to which he replied they have in the Talk Talk Community section.

Just another nice little earner for TT.

Dumped in the recycle bin called Escalated Threads on the old forum.
Still being Ignored by the OCE,s

Now 16/01/15 in the new forum, all unresolved email problems have been dumped in the Email-Archived Board.
Thank you for your Kudos The incompetence of this company knows no bounds.
martw
First Timer

I have just been charged £30 for a call my daughter claims she did not make.The call was made to personal road check (2222) at 1am when she was asleep so I have to believe her I phoned talktalk but their call centre would not help,I even threatened  to cancel all our phones.I don't think they have any authority to help they are only there to take abuse

OCE_Mark
Retired

hi martw,

have you checked the outbound call logs on the phone to confirm if the call was made?

Cheers

🙂

martw
First Timer

Please listen to what  your customers are saying here premium rate numbers should be prefixed with the numbers 08  070 or 09 to use a easily misdialed number like 2222 is  wrong and you are wrong to allow it on your network .

OCE_Mark
Retired

Hi martw,

These are known as short code numbers, they are valid numbers and the charges are set by the content owner. We do not control what numbers services use for access (thats a regulatory issue) only the method to connect to those services.

Can you confirm if the outbound call logs do show the call was made?

Cheers

🙂

cubbyian53
First Timer

I have just received a bill from talktalk for £18.75 for a call to personal roadwatch which i never actually made, this was caused by the number 2 button being accidently pressed in my pocket and calling the numer 22222222222  this supposed call lasted 12mim 30 secs. when i contacted talktalk to explain the situation they were sympathetic but refused cancel the charge as they said a lot of people made dialing errors and they couldn`t cancel all these charges,keyboard locked from now on but was not happy.

cubbyian53
First Timer

the same thing happened to me today where i am supposed to have dialed personal roadwatch to the value of £18.75, was at hospital when the call was made and hadn`t used my phone but when i checked dialed numbers it showed i had made a call to 22222222222  the 2 button must have been held down in my pocket and the call button pressed at the same time somehow

OCE_Mark
Retired

hi cubbyian,

If the call orignated from the handset then the charges wil be valid.

A screenlock will help to prevent any unintended button presses in your pocket.

Cheers

🙂

shmoll
First Timer

@cubbyian53 wrote:

I have just received a bill from talktalk for £18.75 for a call to personal roadwatch which i never actually made, this was caused by the number 2 button being accidently pressed in my pocket and calling the numer 22222222222  this supposed call lasted 12mim 30 secs. when i contacted talktalk to explain the situation they were sympathetic but refused cancel the charge as they said a lot of people made dialing errors and they couldn`t cancel all these charges,keyboard locked from now on but was not happy.

I have just received my mobile bill which has a 20 minute call listed to Personal Roadwatch for £30.  Recently I had a text saying my account had been suspended.  When I phoned TalkTalk the advisor checked my account (for some reason I could not access it that day online) and asked if I had made a call at a specific time that morning, and what make of phone I had.  When I checked my call logs it stated an outgoing call to 22222222222 at that time in the morning.   I realised my mobile was unlocked and assumed that had caused the 2 button to be pressed.  Unusual as I routinely lock my phone.

shmoll
First Timer

I have just received my TalkTalk mobile bill which has a 20 minute call listed to Personal Roadwatch for £30.  Recently I had a text saying my account had been suspended.  When I phoned TalkTalk the advisor checked my account (for some reason I could not access it that day online) and asked if I had made a call at a specific time that morning, and what make of phone I had.  When I checked my call logs it stated an outgoing call to 22222222222 at that time in the morning.   I realised my mobile was unlocked and assumed that had caused the 2 button to be pressed.  Unusual as I routinely lock my phone.