Mobile support

For any questions about your TalkTalk mobile service.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sim free new Apple Iphone 6s locked to TalkTalk

Ash_Belfast
Participant
Message 36 of 36

Hi,

I bought a new sim free unlocked iphone 6s from Carphone Warehouse, then used a sim from TalkTalk to activate it but have realised that the handset has now been locked to the network.

Some facts below

1. The TalkTalk sim used was a monthly sim only contract hence the handset is owned fully by me and not by TalkTalk so the network shouldn't be locking it. However, it did!

2. Contacted TalkTalk customer services over the phone, only to be surprised with the standard and rather adamant reply that ''TalkTalk does not lock mobile phones and it does not sell Apple iphones so it hasn't locked it''.

3. The phone is locked and only a TalkTalk sim would work on it. Or (here comes the further surprising bit) a Vodaphone sim works in it but of no other network.

4. Since TalkTalk sells mobile connections which are in reality serviced by Vodaphone, it is Vodaphone which has locked it, but TalkTalk customer services have no clue about it or just wouldn't accept and take responsibility for it.

5. On a lot of research, the possible options available to me are

a) get the phone jailbroken, which I do not want to as it is a brand new costly iphone and I do not want the Apple warranty to be impacted negatively.

b) Contacted Carphone Warehouse i.e. the seller, by complaining to them for selling me a phone which got locked when I paid for a sim free / unlocked phone only to be surprised further that their fineprint actually had mentioned it. When Apple sells iphones directly from Apple stores they do not get locked but when Carphone Warehouse sells them, they get locked to the first ever network of the sim used for activation. Carphone Warehouse apologised and refunded £30 to me for the inconvenience however wouldn't exchange the phone. On why it is allowed to happen remains unanswered as yet, as needs to be investigated by challenging both Apple and Carphone Warehouse re their fair selling practices.

c) Get a Vodaphone pay as you go sim, top it up for £20, and after 30 days ask Vodaphone to unlock the phone by paying them a fee to them. Again something which appears to be a very unfair practice especially as neither I was, nor I want to be compelled to be a Vodaphone customer.

Now the questions, Should TalkTalk not be taking ownership of this issue as I am a TalkTalk customer and resolve it for me i.e. unlock my iphone which got locked because of using their sim card especially when the handset is owned 100% by myself?

Next Steps : I am going to write to TalkTalk, followed by a complaint to Ofcom, copies sent to Apple, TalkTalk, Carphone Warehouse, BBC 'Rip Off Britain' team and other such relevant media etc.

Will update the progress here...

thank for reading!

35 REPLIES 35

Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 1 of 36

As this thread has been fully answered and is now going decidedly off topic I have locked the thread.

The off topic posts have been removed before they provoke even more personally contentious responses.

0 Likes

Message 2 of 36

This website explains the situation very well:

http://kenstechtips.com/index.php/apple-iphone-when-sim-free-doesnt-mean-unlocked

As you will see, as many others have already said, it is nothing to do with TalkTalk!

I'm an old Ham - G0EVW sdrg.co.uk
0 Likes

Message 3 of 36

@ferguson wrote:

@android44 wrote:

The problem is APPLE. Their software locks the phone to the 1st network used. Only Apple can unlock it. Go to an Apple store and get them to sort it.

Wrong. Only Carphone Warehouse does this, for reasons you would have to ask them to explain.

i agree , as i have said earlier i bought an iphone from argos and it worked with any sim . it seems to depend on whether the phone is sim free , factory unlocked or network unlocked .

0 Likes

Message 4 of 36

@android44 wrote:

The problem is APPLE. Their software locks the phone to the 1st network used. Only Apple can unlock it. Go to an Apple store and get them to sort it.

Wrong. Only Carphone Warehouse does this, for reasons you would have to ask them to explain.

Message 5 of 36

0 Likes

Message 6 of 36

Guys... repeating skygrowler's sound advice...

It's the phone that locks itself to the first Sim that's inserted - it could be any Sim from any operator.  Why should the network operator receive blame for you buying a non-fully unlocked phone?

Ash_Belfast went back to Carphone Warehouse, got £30 compensation for them not advising about this issue on the phone they sold. 

TalkTalk don't lock mobiles.  TalkTalk only ever sold fully unlocked mobiles.  TalkTalk don't unlock mobiles.

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2021

Like below to appreciate my help . . . Mark as solved + Accept as Solution

Message 7 of 36

Happened to me too . I wrongly presumed that as the talk talk Sim card had the ability to lock the phone talk talk would have the power to unlock it too.

Had I gone with EE , O2 etc I could of paid a fee and had it unlocked . 

Yes I accept the phone locked to the first Sim put in but come on talk talk if your card locks it you should be able to unlock it again .

Message 8 of 36

as has been said before this is totally a carphone warehouse and apple problem , i have bought an iphone from argos and it was unlocked and worked with any sim . 

people in this situation need to go back to the original seller , they are the people responsible for any problems with your phone .

0 Likes

Message 9 of 36

I am going to call the BBC Rip Off Britain tomorrow and show them the whole thing so hopefully these guys will wake up and wise up to this issue

Message 10 of 36

You would never get a straight answer from these touts to be honest, best to take action urselves, write a letter to TalkTalk send by signed for post asking them to correct this in 2 weeks or else file a case in small claims court and complain to ofcom which I am gradually going to do, utterly a no no from them and purely unacceptable, best regards

Message 11 of 36
They will keep on ignoring and misguiding you @theweeteacher
I have not had time unfortunately to take it up with ofcom and to the small claims court yet but that doesn't mean justice isn't served 😊

Message 12 of 36

@theweeteacher I am not sure what your problem is here, it might be best if you start your own topic. TalkTalk SIMs will work in any unlocked phone. If you bought an iPhone from Carphone Warehouse it won't be unlocked.

0 Likes

Message 13 of 36

I have had the same problem and to say I am fuming is an understatement.

I wish I had found this days ago.

I have been on the phone to Talktalk's customer service department on five different occasions now. Now I am supposedly speaking to a Manager?

Well, why don't Talktalk customer services know this?

First phone call to the Talktalk customer service department I was told to factory re-set my phone as the adviser had been informed this will sort the problem.

After this didn't work, second phone call I was told to go into an Apple Store and they will definitely unlock it for me.

After this didn't work, third phone call I was told to phone Vodafone by the adviser. Vodafone said it is Talktalk I need to speak to.

So after this didn't work, fourth phone call I asked for a manager.

Fifth call - manager says to plug phone into my computer and do a factory re-set via iTunes as that is what they have been told to advise.

This hasn’t work. The manager is calling me back tomorrow. Wait to I tell them this didn’t work. I wonder what lies they will tell me nex?

I think Talktalk customer services need re-trained. I have been a customer of Talktalk for 17 years. I will be leaving to join sky as soon as I can.

If this problem is so wide spread, why are Talktalk lying to their customers. Talktalk don’t care. They have wasted hours of my life.

0 Likes

Message 14 of 36

I have had the same problem and to say I am fuming is an understatement.

I wish I had found this days ago.

I have been on the phone to Talktalk's customer service department on five different occasions now. Now I am supposedly speaking to a Manager?

Well, why don't Talktalk customer services know this?

First phone call to the Talktalk customer service department I was told to factory re-set my phone as the adviser had been informed this will sort the problem.

After this didn't work, second phone call I was told to go into an Apple Store and they will definitely unlock it for me.

After this didn't work, third phone call I was told to phone Vodafone by the adviser. Vodafone said it is Talktalk I need to speak to.

So after this didn't work, fourth phone call I asked for a manager.

Fifth call - manager says to plug phone into my computer and do a factory re-set via iTunes as that is what they have been told to advise.

This hasn’t work. The manager is calling me back tomorrow. Wait to I tell them this didn’t work. I wonder what lies they will tell me nex?

I think Talktalk customer services need re-trained. I have been a customer of Talktalk for 17 years. I will be leaving to join sky as soon as I can.

If this problem is so wide spread, why are Talktalk lying to their customers. Talktalk don’t care. They have wasted hours of my life.

StephenF
Community Manager
Message 15 of 36

Hi, 

I can see some of the other members have offered help but just to confirm from a TalkTalk point of view. We do not supply apple products yet hence the lack of support content nor do we initiate any lock to our network when using one of our simcards.

I've personally purchased an iphone from a 3rd party and then used it on different networks both in and outside the UK without it being locked to either. 

As the phone was purchased from Carphone Warehouse i would suggest you contact them for further support as there is unfortunately nothing further TalkTalk can do to assist. 

Stephen 

Stephen, Community Manager

Message 16 of 36

this is purely down to Apple as @ferguson has told you , it is quite clearly stated by Apple that this will happen when a sim is inserted for the first time .

it seems to be dependent on the wording used to describe the state of the phone i.e. sim free , unlocked or network unlocked but if you do take @ferguson advice and google it you will see that it is easy to get caught by Apple .

this may help ,

http://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/iphone/how-tell-if-iphone-is-unlocked-locked-apple-3614824/

Message 17 of 36

@Gondola wrote:

Hi @Ash_Belfast

@ferguson  has given you very sound advice.  Think about it. 

Your decision of course.

There is always an easy way out and then there is a correct way.

"I alone cannot change the world, but I can cast a stone across the waters to create many ripples." Mother Teresa

Easy way out is to get a Vodaphone pay as go sim, spend £19.99 and get it unlocked from Vodaphone, the correct way however is to ask TalkTalk first to accept the issue and their obligation and responsibility towards its customers, for TalkTalk to then set up a procedure to help its customers in a similar situation. Even if it means having to complain to Ofcom, put it out in the media or taking them to small claims court.

thanks again anyways 😀

0 Likes

Message 18 of 36

Hi @Ash_Belfast

@ferguson  has given you very sound advice.  Think about it. 

Your decision of course.

Message 19 of 36

@Gondola wrote:

Hi @Ash_Belfast

Carphone Warehouse make this statement on their website:

"iPhone is unlocked when you buy it SIM free but Apple's software means it locks to the first network you use it with."

You've received £30 from CarphoneWarehouse in compensation for not telling you this when you bought the 'phone.

@fergusonhas advised you very clearly - TalkTalk do not lock or have a formal procedure to unlock 'phones.

Carphone Warehouse have declined to unlock your phone for fear of invalidating warranty. Vodafone have also declined.

Would it not be better to be nice and ask @ferguson if he might know how to fix your problem or be able to call in a favour with TalkTalk to help you out? 

Hi Gondola,

@Thank you but the solution suggested by @ferguson is Google, Vodafone have asked to speak to TalkTalk so a written complaint will be in the post sent to TalkTalk tomorrow for a written reply before it is escalated to Ofcom.

thank you again.

0 Likes

Message 20 of 36

Hi @Ash_Belfast

Carphone Warehouse make this statement on their website:

"iPhone is unlocked when you buy it SIM free but Apple's software means it locks to the first network you use it with."

You've received £30 from CarphoneWarehouse in compensation for not telling you this when you bought the 'phone.

@fergusonhas advised you very clearly - TalkTalk do not lock or have a formal procedure to unlock 'phones.

Carphone Warehouse have declined to unlock your phone for fear of invalidating warranty. Vodafone have also declined.

Would it not be better to be nice and ask @ferguson if he might know how to fix your problem or be able to call in a favour with TalkTalk to help you out?