Did you mean: 
Need help?

A Series of Unfortunate Events - [Netflix]

3 REPLIES
Highlighted
Trekkie101
Team Player

IMG_0416.PNG

It may be the first Netflix Original I've not found very good. It kicks off with excellent photography and winds you into the story. I found the rather abrupt and early breaking of the fourth wall quite dissapointing.

It's technique where a character speaks or narrates directly to you as a viewer but often does more harm than good. This is a prime example of it just not working.

The story is whimsical but the characters are far from believable and almost childlike in simplicity. There is a talking baby, overly dramatic sets, huge variations in the amount of colour used in the scenes. I really found it quite distracting and tiring.

I've given up by episode four simply because it doesn't seem to be recovering from any of its failures. I came at it fresh having never read the books or prose before. You may have more fun if its an old story coming to life for you. What was billed as Netflix stepping into the 'Hitchikers Guide to Galaxy territory, I think it spectacularly fails.

I'd be really interested in anyone liking it? And If so, why Smiley Tongue 

ferguson
Community Star

The genre doesn't appeal to me, but it is based on a series of children's novels, perhaps that explains its childlike quality?  Smiley Wink

Trekkie101
Team Player
So are avatar and marvel etc and I don't find them so off putting. Just not for me I think.
ferguson
Community Star

You think Marvel comics are for kids? Hey-ho.