cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Want to know how to get the most out of our community?

Hey, I'm Michelle and I wanted to tell you about our community and how it's packed full of useful information, answers and has a horde of active members waiting to help or just to say hey! We know forums can be a little daunting at times, so here are some of my useful tips to help you get the most out of the community:

Get Searching

Search is the quickest way to locate the information you're after, use the big red box above. If you don't find what you're after you can always post your own question.

Search now

Get stuck in

Prefer to jump straight into the community? Checkout the yellow "browse" tab over on the left hand side, here you'll find the entire community at your fingertips.

Try now

Join the party!

Had a peek around the community already? If so you'll no doubt want to join us, just hit register below and follow the instructions. Don't worry I'll still be here to help once you've registered.

Register now

Film Stars Don't Die in Liverpool : Cinema Release

Highlighted
Gondola
Community Star

Cinema release 16 Nov 2017Cinema release 16 Nov 2017

I predict that Annette Bening will win multiple awards for her subtle yet outstanding performance as Oscar-winner and film noir screen-siren, Gloria Grahame. Beaten up on and off-screen, Gloria Grahame was one of Hollywood's stand-out stars. Ultimately shunned by Hollywood, and with health concerns, Gloria Grahame sought comfort from her theatre roots.  Performing in London in the late 1970's she met and romanced a struggling young jobbing actor, Peter Turner.

Matt Greenhalgh’s adaptation of the memoir by actor and writer Peter Turner is directed by Paul McGuigan in Film Stars Don't Die in Liverpool.

'There's someone staying back at my mum and dad's house and she's dying.'  'Anyone I know?'  'I shouldn't think so. She's American. She's a film star.' 'Don't be silly,' he said. 'Film stars don't die in Liverpool.'  

Annette Bening perfectly embodies the gentler side of Gloria Grahame's onscreen attraction, and Jamie Bell is tremendous as the star-crossed lover, Turner.  Compelling support from Vanessa Redgrave, Julie Walters, Kenneth Cranham, Stephen Graham, Frances Barber, and Leanne Best.

You could easily fall in love with Gloria, as Turner did in real life, watching her at her best on old-movie black-and-white celluloid.  Listen out for the new, bittersweet, song from Elvis Costello over the film's closing credits.

Film Stars Don't Die in Liverpool is in UK cinemas from 16 November 2017.  Here's a trailer.

Thanks to Lionsgate

Hopefully (keep an eye on the schedules) you'll see Gloria Grahame's Academy award winning supporting actress performance in The Bad and the Beautiful on TCM, TalkTalk 512, Entertainment Boost. 

The Bad and the Beautiful (1953) was a critical and commercial success. It was nominated for six Academy Awards, and won five - for Best Screenplay, Best Cinematography, Best Art direction-Set Decoration, Best Costume design, and Best Supporting actress (Gloria Grahame).

See Gloria Grahame, in a minor supporting role, as the adult Violet, in It's a Wonderful Life on Sky Cinema Christmas, TalkTalk 511, Sky Cinema Boost.

Gondola - I'm a PlusTV customer *