cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NEED SOME HELP?

We’re here 24/7. 365 days a year.
Ask questions. Find your answers. Connect.

Wildlife on your doorstep.

TheDweezil
Conversation Starter
Private Message
Message 76 of 76

I love wildlife. I consider myself as a conservationist. I used to be a falconer. Unfortunately as the years rolled by there was less places to fly a bird.

What wildlife do you get in your area ?

Here's a few of my local wildlife pics...

Fox on my Hawthorn hedgeFox on my Hawthorn hedgeYoung Common BuzzardYoung Common BuzzardDSC02009.JPGDSC02092.JPGSparrowhawk On PidgeonSparrowhawk On PidgeonKestrelKestrelGoldfinchGoldfinchSparrowhawk with Pidgeon (1)Sparrowhawk with Pidgeon (1)Sparrowhawk with Pidgeon (2)Sparrowhawk with Pidgeon (2)Sparrowhawk with Pidgeon (3)Sparrowhawk with Pidgeon (3)Sparrowhawk with Pidgeon (4)Sparrowhawk with Pidgeon (4)Sparrowhawk with Pidgeon (5)Sparrowhawk with Pidgeon (5)Long Eared OwlLong Eared OwlHarris HawkHarris HawkDSC07551.JPG

ItsaZappathing
75 REPLIES 75

Message 41 of 76

You are right about the long grass, @TallTrees, but then, it is 'No Mow May', so we need not feel too guilty about not cutting it right now, eh!

Fortunately, the garden here also has plenty of approach cover, so the birds are usually pretty relaxed about their comings and goings!

That said, a couple of weeks back, there was a brief, but unsuccessful attack, by a Sparrowhawk, on a Pigeon ......... a Peregrine would not have failed though!

You are also so right about the bathing, but that unfortunately is not good news for your Red Masons is it; with the weather generally continuing to be unsettled, and unseasonal.

~R.

PS ~ What species ARE the Tall Trees, TallTrees?

0 Likes

TallTrees
Super Duper Contributor
Message 42 of 76

Didn't really stop raining yesterday 16th May. Checking red mason bees in afternoon.  Many in tubes sheltering. Took this photo of them.

20210516_135947.jpg

 They have been trying, it has been so difficult. 

Hoping for better days.  This morning is good chilly at 6am but no rain. Sun up. 

Happiness is Bee shaped

TallTrees
Super Duper Contributor
Message 43 of 76

There are definitely ups .. birds are doing well lots of Dunnocks too. Blackbirds singing always look forward to that...usually summery ! 

@TheHornedOne 

Bees are not happy, have got Bumblebees on large cotoneaster unfortunately the flowers aren't open yet but they love these flowers.  

Like the bird bath photo,  birds seem to like bathing even when it's raining. 

Garden is really liking the rain though.  No mowing the lawn grass is too wet so it is long, suits the wild life.  Before long small birds will disappear in the grass!

Happiness is Bee shaped
0 Likes

Message 44 of 76

Thanks for the Red Mason update @TallTrees.

Back when I posted in early April, the Cherry, and the Ribes, were flowering well, the weather was on the up, and the bees were working well.

Just now however, the weather is as unsettled, as unpredictable and as un-springlike as I can recall ............ and the bees just ain't turning in for work; which isn't good is it?

On the positive side, Blackbird song is presently outstanding, and Starling and Dunnock fledgings abound, which is some compensation - but the Tulip are loitering, ha!

DSC_8152.JPG

©  SJS ~ May 2021

~R.

TallTrees
Super Duper Contributor
Message 45 of 76

May 16th 

Been awful day especially for bees.  

They are quite slow so able to photo them coming in and out of nesting tube boxes.

20210516_135913.jpg

Happiness is Bee shaped
0 Likes

TallTrees
Super Duper Contributor
Message 46 of 76

Well it's May 14th and the weather has been terrible for bees. Red Mason like it sunny and warm.  I photographed the nesting tubes and could see a grumpy face 😠 where's the sun I'm waiting there were other bees in the tubes but they were further down in the tubes...so funny.

20210428_114634.jpg

Happiness is Bee shaped

TallTrees
Super Duper Contributor
Message 47 of 76

That's a beautiful blackbird @TheHornedOne 

Listening to them singing is wonderful. A robin I  call "beaky" has been around for about 2 years, she has a deformed beak they don't close together hence the name, doesn't bother her. She pops into the outside hallway she knows I keep the bird feed in a dish there ready to put out and helps herself, she loves that treat. She's nesting at the moment so only see her sometimes. 

More bees emerging every day now. This photo isn't good but so difficult to take the bees never stop. This one flying towards me, I think.

20210419_154012.jpg

Happiness is Bee shaped
0 Likes

Message 48 of 76

Thanks for the post @TallTrees, and I have to say,  I am not too surprised that your boys and girls are a little reluctant to turn out presently ................... so am I, ha! There was actually a light frost here again this morning!

When I attend the bird feeders, at around 08:00 daily, I work beneath a Cherry tree, and adjacent to a Ribes shrub - both of which are currently in flower.

Recently, I have been regularly watched by two particularly friendly birds, a Blackbird, and a Robin, but any Bees that are around simply ignore me, they just keep working - athough the sound of them doing so is really quite euphoric!

Bird Blackbird Feeding 04.jpeg

© SJS ~ May 2012

~R.

TallTrees
Super Duper Contributor
Message 49 of 76

Sweet photo @TheHornedOne 

My red mason bees emerging at last cold spring so hatch delayed.  Best photo I could get because the boys wouldn't stand still, girls emerge 2 weeks later.

20210417_150448.jpg

Happiness is Bee shaped
0 Likes

Message 50 of 76

Supper Time!

IMG_6431.jpeg

© SJS ~ April 2021

~R.

TheHornedOne
Insightful One
Private Message
Message 51 of 76

Bird Blackbird Birdbath 01.JPG  © SJS 2012

~R.

TallTrees
Super Duper Contributor
Message 52 of 76

I have cleaned about 1000 red mason bees in my colony. They are now ready to be put out into their release boxes for their March/April adventures. 

Photo of bees in their silk cocoons.

20210228_090743.jpg

Happiness is Bee shaped

Message 53 of 76

Squirrel Garden 4.JPG

© SJS 2012

TallTrees
Super Duper Contributor
Message 54 of 76

That's a great tree ~ they will be on that.  

Feeding and nesting somewhere around.

Happiness is Bee shaped

Message 55 of 76

I do have this ...................

Harry's Tree 20200408 copy.JPG

..................... [Prunus avium Wild Cherry 'Plena'] at the bottom of the garden @TallTrees, so I guess I'm in with a chance of spotting some!

~R.

TallTrees
Super Duper Contributor
Message 56 of 76

Lovely photograph. 

Yes they should everywhere. Very early little bee feeding on apple trees pear trees crab  apple trees cherry trees. 

Nesting in holes in trees and brickwork. I think roaming ones join my colony and some of mine buzz off somewhere. 

Happiness is Bee shaped

Message 57 of 76

Is the Red Mason Bee inclined to roam @TallTrees; might I get them around my garden?

This clearly isn't a Red Mason; but it was working in my garden ......................

Bee Lavender.jpg

© SJS 2013

~R.

TallTrees
Super Duper Contributor
Message 58 of 76

They are amazing  @TheHornedOne 

these are not like  honey bees so mostly look after themselves..I  have made the decision to clean them which is quite a job then put them back out at the right time, they nearly always catch me out. 

You are right though they need lots of pollen and nectar plants being early bees mainly orchard pollinators I am always worried not enough around.  I have grown my bee colony to over 700. 

I absolutely adore them though and they do not sting sometimes when  I put them out in their release box they walk on my hand  adorable. Thank you for your interest

Happiness is Bee shaped

Message 59 of 76

I toyed with the idea of keeping bees myself at one time, @TallTrees - a colleague of mine was a beekeeper - but realistically, I resided in an unacceptable environment for the purpose at the time.  Facinating creatures!

~R.

0 Likes

TallTrees
Super Duper Contributor
Message 60 of 76

Hi @TheDweezil 

A lovely subject.

I  breed Red Mason Bees. I  love the garden and feed the little birds put up nest boxes for them. Feed the fox some little nibbles she passes through every night not greedy.  

My photos are just snaps from my phone. 

The bees are sleeping in their silk cocoons until March. 

BEES IN THEIR SILK COCOONS  

20200520_135645.jpg

20190905_085841.jpg

 bee tubes on wall facing South

Happiness is Bee shaped