Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Wildlife on your doorstep.

29 REPLIES 29
TheDweezil
Conversation Starter

I love wildlife. I consider myself as a conservationist. I used to be a falconer. Unfortunately as the years rolled by there was less places to fly a bird.

What wildlife do you get in your area ?

Here's a few of my local wildlife pics...

Fox on my Hawthorn hedgeFox on my Hawthorn hedgeYoung Common BuzzardYoung Common BuzzardDSC02009.JPGDSC02092.JPGSparrowhawk On PidgeonSparrowhawk On PidgeonKestrelKestrelGoldfinchGoldfinchSparrowhawk with Pidgeon (1)Sparrowhawk with Pidgeon (1)Sparrowhawk with Pidgeon (2)Sparrowhawk with Pidgeon (2)Sparrowhawk with Pidgeon (3)Sparrowhawk with Pidgeon (3)Sparrowhawk with Pidgeon (4)Sparrowhawk with Pidgeon (4)Sparrowhawk with Pidgeon (5)Sparrowhawk with Pidgeon (5)Long Eared OwlLong Eared OwlHarris HawkHarris HawkDSC07551.JPG

ItsaZappathing
TheDweezil
Conversation Starter
C'mon peeps, give us your wildlife pics.
ItsaZappathing
Gliwmaeden2
Community Star

Great pictures,  @TheDweezil. You must live in a lovely part of the country!

Flat open land in the Cambridgeshire Fens here. Lots of muntjacs around, but they rarely linger long enough for you to click on a camera.

Swans flourish on the Cam, and on the lodes that cut across from the villages. These on the lode from Reach towards Upware:

20201230_162200.jpg

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.
TheDweezil
Conversation Starter

Ha. I am in Liverpool. Concrete city.

Nice pic

ItsaZappathing
TheDweezil
Conversation Starter

Kestrel on pigeonKestrel on pigeonBlueTit With Food 09.jpgJayJay

ItsaZappathing
TheDweezil
Conversation Starter

Great Spotted Woodpecker on feederGreat Spotted Woodpecker on feeder

ItsaZappathing
Gliwmaeden2
Community Star

Amazing how wildlife thrives. I once looked out of my window into the solemn eyes of a peregrine falcon that had chosen to sit in my birch tree for a bit. They are breeding over in the disused chalk pits on the outskirts of the city.

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.
TheDweezil
Conversation Starter
Peregrines are amazing.
ItsaZappathing
TheDweezil
Conversation Starter

Great Spotted Woodpecker with chickGreat Spotted Woodpecker with chick

ItsaZappathing
ferguson
Community Star

They're horrible when they down a pigeon and proceed to eat every part of it save the feathers on your patio, having crashed into the window first!

TheHornedOne
Insightful One

@TheDweezil wrote:
C'mon peeps, give us your wildlife pics.

I'm working on it TheDweezil, so I have your thread tagged!

Will you be participating in the RSPBBGB, at the back of next week?

peeps

TheDweezil
Conversation Starter

No. They have to survive.

ItsaZappathing
TheDweezil
Conversation Starter

No. Chris Packham is against Falconers. I used to be one. He's not a conservationist. I have asked him many times on culling Magpies and Grey Squirrels. He would not answer me.

One day all we will see in our gardens are Magpies and Grey Squirrels. Sad but true.

ItsaZappathing
TheHornedOne
Insightful One

Bird Robin 05 copy.jpeg

© SJS 2020

~R.

TheHornedOne
Insightful One

Bird Blackbirds Snow 2018 copy.JPG

© SJS 2018

TheHornedOne
Insightful One

R.S.P.B. BGB Log Sheet 2021.jpg

TallTrees
Whizz Kid

Hi @TheDweezil 

A lovely subject.

I  breed Red Mason Bees. I  love the garden and feed the little birds put up nest boxes for them. Feed the fox some little nibbles she passes through every night not greedy.  

My photos are just snaps from my phone. 

The bees are sleeping in their silk cocoons until March. 

BEES IN THEIR SILK COCOONS  

20200520_135645.jpg

20190905_085841.jpg

 bee tubes on wall facing South

Happiness is Bee shaped
TheHornedOne
Insightful One

I toyed with the idea of keeping bees myself at one time, @TallTrees - a colleague of mine was a beekeeper - but realistically, I resided in an unacceptable environment for the purpose at the time.  Facinating creatures!

~R.

TallTrees
Whizz Kid

They are amazing  @TheHornedOne 

these are not like  honey bees so mostly look after themselves..I  have made the decision to clean them which is quite a job then put them back out at the right time, they nearly always catch me out. 

You are right though they need lots of pollen and nectar plants being early bees mainly orchard pollinators I am always worried not enough around.  I have grown my bee colony to over 700. 

I absolutely adore them though and they do not sting sometimes when  I put them out in their release box they walk on my hand  adorable. Thank you for your interest

Happiness is Bee shaped
TheHornedOne
Insightful One

Is the Red Mason Bee inclined to roam @TallTrees; might I get them around my garden?

This clearly isn't a Red Mason; but it was working in my garden ......................

Bee Lavender.jpg

© SJS 2013

~R.