cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome to our blog

Check out the latest on everything from staying safe online to getting the best from your service.

Re: Bringing you up to speed with full fibre

Technology is a part of everyday life and many of us use multiple devices in our homes, often at the same time, which can cause slow speeds, buffering and reduced reliability – frustrating! 

With UFO, residents in York will be able to access a brand new, next generation ‘full fibre’ network, the future of the internet, and it will mean that York is the UK’s first Ultra Fibre Optic city. 

Full fibre means that a single fibre optic connection is used all the way from the exchange directly to your home or premises (FTTH or FTTP) delivering lightning fast speeds of up to 900Mbps, up to 20 times faster than the UK’s average fibre which uses fibre to the street cabinet, but then traditional copper wires to reach homes and premises.

This means you will be able to download a two-hour HD film in just seven seconds, a task that currently takes more than 25 minutes in the average UK home.

TT_UFO_RELIABLE_DIAGRAM_overhead-underground_v1 small.jpg

TalkTalk
Technology
UFO

about Taylerw

Hi everyone! I look after the broadband content on Help & Support. I'm also the team's resident crazy cat lady.

Read more of my blog posts
2 Comments
Peteuk
First Timer

Can't wait till the whole country gets FTTH. My last home on a Brand New housing estate Didn't have fibre optic! Buyers were told "we'll be installing fibre optic within 5 years". 10 Years later. Surprise No fibre, but who in their right mind built a housing estate and decided not to lay fibre whilst laying utilities?

Who pays for the FTTH?

And will it still drop out occasionally just like my FTTH does? I've asked for help/advice etc but so far it's an intermittent problem that I'm stuck with. 

0 Likes
Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team

@Peteuk Thanks for your comment. The fibre network is laid by Openreach. If you're experiencing any issues with your current connection then please can you post in the Help and Support Section (broadband) and we can look into this for you.

Thanks

0 Likes

More like this