cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome to our blog

Check out the latest on everything from staying safe online to getting the best from your service.

Re: Broadband made faster

We're all using our home broadband more than ever before (the average TalkTalk home downloads 45GB of data a month). So we're investing tens of millions of pounds into our network to make it faster and more stable.

Here's what we've been doing:

• Adding capacity, so the network doesn’t get overloaded and slow you down
  • Simplifying the network so it can adapt more quickly to future needs
  • Developing an Ultra Fibre Optic network that runs all the way to your router
  • Working closely with Netflix and YouTube for quicker and smoother streaming
  • Finding and fixing the parts of our network that weren’t as reliable as they could be
  • And, we're pleased to say we’ve just reached number 1* for keeping your speed the same – however busy the internet is

family.png

Making the most of our improved network

We bring the best possible broadband connection to your home – but there are a number of factors inside your home that affect the speed you get on your devices. Here are some tips to keep their performance up.

• Place your router in a central unobstructed location, facing into the room
  • Try not to put your router in a corner with concrete or brick walls
  • Nearby electrical devices like a cordless phone, microwave or baby monitor can disrupt your signal
  • Leave your router on at night so we can keep it updated for the best possible connection. It’s not using much electricity, we promise

*Ranked number one by SamKnows based on peak throughput percentage which was 98.81% for TalkTalk in December 2016 for Fast Broadband according to SamKnows broadband performance monitoring service for UK ISPs in December 2016.

TalkTalk
Technology

about StephenF

Hey everyone, I'm your community manager and resident lego fanboy and not to mention a massive foodie :) I'm here to help keep the community ticking over each day and support our great members.

Read more of my blog posts
42 Comments
Anonymous
Not applicable

OK.

Unfortunately at the moment you have to live in York to get the ultra fast, as that was the first and so far only trial area that I am aware of.

Haven't heard or seen anything about any other trial areas or a more general release.

0 Likes
Kenny8
Chat Champion

Hi I need help I'm using a PS3 and I'm playing Fifa 15 and I'm using a HG 635 router I need to open ports when I've went on to port mapping it gives you 3 ports 2 ports are external and 1 port is internal then you can open another port which does the same and gives you another 3 ports basically I have been giving a list of numbers to open ports I need to no where to put the numbers in right place and basically everything I need to do IP address if needed to do aswell?

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Kenny 8 - New thread started in Playstation support section.

0 Likes
alweekes
Team Player

"Ah, the mysterious SamKnows again!...Could you point us in the direction of SamKnows so we can see for ourselves how SamKnows reached this conclusiuon ?"

@clubhouse I'm part of the SamKnows ISP monitoring scheme, I signed up some years ago to be part of a Europe-wide internet performance monitoring service.

Those who are part of the service, recieve a SamKnows 'white box' (although mine is black!) which is a normal wireless router, with Gigabit network ports, running custom firmware (https://samknows.com/products)

All wired traffic is routed through the white box, and the dual-band wireless is used to monitor activity on the wireless network, such that tests are only conducted when the network is quiet. This is so the tests don't disrupt normal usage and so the results are accurate and not affected by other network traffic.

When the box sees that there is no network activity, it conducts a exstensive range of tests to evaluate the broadband performance. This isn't a simple upload / download speed test, the full list of tests conducted is: -

Download speed (single and multi-thread)

Upload speed (single and multi-thread)

Latency (ms)

Packet loss (%)

DNS response times

Failed DNS requests

Upload jitter

Download jitter

Website load failures

Website load times

Youtube video quality

Youtube startup delay

Youtube connect time

Netflix download speed

Netflix video quality

Netflix startup delay

Netflix connect time

iPlayer download speed

iPlayer video quality

iPlayer startup delay

iPlayer connect time

As you can see a pretty comprehensive set of test designed to evaluate the real-world performance that users experience.

As a user you also get a comprehensive dashboard that gives you the stats to analyse - brilliant for spotting issues and giving actual data forfeedback to your ISP, here's an example download speed report covering 6 months: -

SamKnows download speed

Andy.

0 Likes
jackrowden4
Sightseer

Hi

I have just noticed i now have a subscribed channels on my tv guide list which contains 6 channels including sky 1 and sky sports news

I can watch these channels but i have not subscribed for them.

Am i going to be charged for them even though i didnt ask for these channels or have they been added ?

Thanks

Jack

0 Likes
ferguson
Community Star

@jackrowden4 You have posted in the blog section of the forum, better to start your own topic where the support team can assist, click here.

0 Likes
chrisbroome
Sightseer

hi all i keep loseing my internet in bridgnorth why is that becuase it is the internet  or the wether

thanks chris

0 Likes
Chris-TalkTalk
Support Team

Hi Chris,

Welcome to the Community, I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing problems with your service. You've posted in the blog section so can you start a topic in either the Broadband or Fibre Broadband section, and we'll be happy to help 🙂

Chris

0 Likes
davmil50
Whizz Kid

Still Waiting for Reply Stepen F ????

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

This is a discussion blog section. 

As has been pointed out several times in this thread, if you have a problem with your current service you need to post in the "help with your service section", where your post will more readily be seen by the OCEs.

0 Likes

More like this