cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome to our blog

Check out the latest on everything from staying safe online to getting the best from your service.

Re: Calling all HG633 Router users we have a new trial for you...

Update - 8th January, We've had a great response to our trial however it is now closed to new entries. We'd like to thank everyone who's registered their interest in the trial.

Hey Everyone,

We're working on a significant firmware update for the Huawei HG633 router. It includes improvements to broadband and Wi-Fi as well as bug fixes and we're looking for volunteers to try it out first and feedback on their experience.

What's in it for me?

You'll be helping us ensure we get the experience right for you and the rest of our customers and you'll be entered into a Prize draw to win (on completion of trial) 2 x prizes of £100 worth of Amazon Vouchers

Am I eligible to take part in the trial?

• Are you a TalkTalk customer?
  • Are you a TalkTalk broadband customer?
  • Do you have a Huawei HG633 router?

If you answered YES to all of the above then you are eligible to take part and we are excited to hear from you!

Interested & Eligible?

Please sign up by the 8th of January as we're starting the trial in the new year - Terms and conditions apply.

What happens next?

1. The trial is planned to start from the 15th of January.
  2. You will receive a sign up survey with questions about your home set up.
  3. If you are successful in joining the Trial we will notify you via email and roll out the new firmware ( don’t worry you don’t do need do anything, we will do this in the background).
  4. You will then receive a final survey 2 weeks into Trial to gather your overall feedback.
  5. Prize Draw will take place at the end of Trial and winners will be announced via e-mail.

If you have any questions about the Trial, please e-mail TalkTalktrials@TalkTalkplc.com with HG633 Firmware Trial in the Subject field.

Thanks

TalkTalk
Technology

about StephenF

Hey everyone, I'm your community manager and resident lego fanboy and not to mention a massive foodie :) I'm here to help keep the community ticking over each day and support our great members.

Read more of my blog posts
60 Comments
grandmanne
Participant

I do not have this router

0 Likes
moxy51
Conversation Starter

Hi 

I have tried to sign up for the Router (HG633) Firmware trial,Unfortunately the web page at research.net keeps failing & coming up we're sorry it looks like we've slipped.

Regards

0 Likes
centreline
First Timer

If I join this scheme how technical do you expect me to be to answer the questions posed at the end. I am not a technical person and some of the jargon used by techies leaves me cold as I have no idea what is being talked about. I am a user it either works or it doesn't and I am happy it if it is working and I am not sure how it can work any better with the tweeks you are talking about putting in and how I will measure these "improvements".

0 Likes
Simon0
Team Player

I would like to take part please. Anything to help make my internet better.

Thanks.

Simon.

0 Likes
zeus_olympios
Enlightened One

Attempted sigh-up entered details (page 1) ... Same error received as moxy51 ... tried again, accepted page1 - entered page 2 information & system crashed out!  

0 Likes
StephenF
Community Manager

Hey Guys,  Thanks for the comments and sorry to hear you've had issues accessing the survey @zeus_olympios @moxy51 I'cew flagged with the trials team, will keep you posted once I hear back. @centreline You won't need to do anything other than use your internet as you normally do today and complete some surveys to tell us how things went and that's pretty much it. @Simon0 Thanks for taking part 🙂 

0 Likes
stuart_smiles1
Super Duper Contributor

Hi stephen, 

Do you have a copy of release notes and testing script to demonstrate that the software will work appropriately. 

How Have they been tested to ensure they work abd dont have intermittent drop outs (dhcp time-outs on wan side).  

0 Likes
apcbbb
Chatterbox

Hi Stephen. Keen to help with the trial but we work from home and can't afford to have downtime with timeouts, dropouts. Can you reassure me that this won't happen with the new firmware - we have been v pleased with the recent upgrade which seems much more stable.

0 Likes
Jeanetter1
First Timer

Re HG633 trial, my router is HG533, sorry

0 Likes
stuart_smiles1
Super Duper Contributor

Hi Stephen, 

You have stated that the new software would be able to improve wifi, dropouts/stability, do you think it will have any other improvements: 

Wishlist below: 

Wifi stability and throughput

Wifi "krack" patch

(firewall granularity),

will dns be fixed to talktalk provided/locked settings, similar to how dlink is now? 

Will the software be better at logging what is happening on the router, and logs able to be shipped off box to a local syslog server. 

Will snmp management be available (which version), so people can use mrtg to see bandwidth utilisation and throughput. (Will there be stats for packet counts on the wan interface to see that traffic is currently passing). 

Will mtu be available to configure on the router, and translation on the router to adjust as traffic goes through? 

Dhcp timeout for wan interface tolerance of late response and  increased renewal time so not having to renew address every 20 mins. 

Guidance on modifications that would/will be done via tr069 in addition to software upgrades (remote config changes and how is authorisation gained or denied for them). 

Do you also have current test results or known issues so that issues noted and reported would be able to be correlated with existing known bugs. 

Would you consider sending test router so can swap out if experiencing issues or need to return to a "reliable stable solution". When upgrade to 1.20 happened it wasn't possible to downgrade back to previous software, and was forced to suffer months of disruption prior to later releases and action taken to modify router config. 

Would users be able to schedule reboots on the router so that they  can fix memory leaks on the router? 

Will ipv6 be off by default?  

Many thanks

Stuart

0 Likes

More like this