cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome to our blog

Check out the latest on everything from staying safe online to getting the best from your service.

Re: How to stay secure in 2020

Now that we're into the new year, you may be thinking about your priorities for the coming twelve months; whether it's saving for a rainy day, losing a little weight or trying Veganuary. But have you considered security? 

To explain this further, here's a breakdown of things you might do every day which could make you vulnerable.

Digital footprint

Most of us use social media to keep in touch with friends and loved ones, but sometimes we tend to overshare. There have been a few reports lately of celebs who have posted photos telling their followers that they're about to jet off. This is very useful information for anyone who knows where you live.

What you can do differently

• It's a good time to clear out some of the names from your friends lists. If you don't recognise a name, remove it.
  • Check all of your social media profiles and Google yourself to see what's out there.
  • Delete anything you think might be used against you, such as pictures with geo-tagged information, door numbers, photos of your workplace or anything expensive.

Password habits

A recent study revealed that 51% of individuals in the UK reuse an average of five passwords across different sites and services. If just one of those sites gets compromised, this could provide an entry point into a lot of sensitive information about you.

• Use a trusted password manager to create strong individual passwords for every site using a master password that you never share with anyone else.
  • Take the opportunity to enable multi-factor authentication on your services.
  • Help others in your family to get set up.

New kit

So you've been treated by Santa this Christmas and you got some new gadgets. To make sure you get the best experience possible, take a look at our guide for having a smart and safe Christmas

Seasonal Phishing

No matter what time of year it is, we see a lot of phishing emails. Thankfully the majority are easily spotted, but sometimes they can be so convincing that you might be tempted to click on the link. Last year, Google created a phishing quiz to test how good you are at telling the difference between legitimate and scam emails. We recommend giving it a go.

• Phishing emails usually use terms like "Dear Customer" because they don't have your personal details.
  • Look for phrases like "you've won!", "forward this to everyone you know!" or "this is NOT a hoax!"
  • Phishers often use email addresses that look like the real thing, but have extra words, letters or symbols.
  • Are there spelling mistakes or does it seem badly written? Reputable companies wouldn't make these kinds of mistakes.
  • Are you being asked to verify your personal or bank details? Genuine companies will NEVER ask for your full password or to verify any personal details over email. 

Sharing is NOT caring

We all like to keep our personal lives private, but sometimes we have to let others into our digital lives. Imagine someone visits your home and asks for your Wi-Fi password. You give it to them, but was that the right thing to do? 

• If you don't trust someone, ask them to use their own data.
  • If you've already shared your Wi-Fi with someone you don't trust, change your Wi-Fi password.
  • If you're working remotely, somewhere like a train or a cafe, be mindful of shoulder surfers. Sit in an area that obstructs your screen from view and use a privacy filter where possible. 
  • If you're on a call in a public place and need to share your details, walk away from people so you can't be overheard. If that isn't possible, call the other person back later.

We hope you have a safe and secure 2020.

Beat the Scammers
Security
UFO

about Taylerw

Hi everyone! I look after the broadband content on Help & Support. I'm also the team's resident crazy cat lady.

Read more of my blog posts
3 Comments
Gondola
Community Star

I just wanted to say that your Community content is the Cat's Whiskers!

0 Likes
IanM53
Popular Poster

Ever since the Talk Talk upgrade to their "Online Defence" I have had trouble logging on from my iMac to one of my banking account websites. As the webpage logs on to my account, it then immediately logs me off and takes me back to the login page. I can still logon to this banking site via my iPad or iPhone, so it's something to do with the Talk Talk Online Defence software recently upgraded on my iMac computer. I had no problems logging onto the account before...... Any ideas on how to resolve this problem?.....

0 Likes
Gondola
Community Star
0 Likes

More like this