cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Want to know how to get the most out of our community?

Hey, I'm Michelle and I wanted to tell you about our community and how it's packed full of useful information, answers and has a horde of active members waiting to help or just to say hey! We know forums can be a little daunting at times, so here are some of my useful tips to help you get the most out of the community:

Get Searching

Search is the quickest way to locate the information you're after, use the big red box above. If you don't find what you're after you can always post your own question.

Search now

Get stuck in

Prefer to jump straight into the community? Checkout the yellow "browse" tab over on the left hand side, here you'll find the entire community at your fingertips.

Try now

Join the party!

Had a peek around the community already? If so you'll no doubt want to join us, just hit register below and follow the instructions. Don't worry I'll still be here to help once you've registered.

Register now

It's time to spring clean your devices

security
Community Manager

We use our devices throughout the day to serve our purposes, but many of us forget to give a little back. In order for that device to keep working quickly and efficiently, it's a good idea to give it a spruce up every now and then.

Over time, our devices accumulate a number of files that are not needed or used. This build-up of junk degrades the software performance which can cause devices to breakdown or result in security issues. Think of it as your devices needing a regular MOT. Spring cleaning your device doesn't have to take a lot of time or cost you a lot. You can do it for free and you can probably get through it in less than 10 minutes.

Here are some simple tips on how you could get rid of the clutter and improve battery performance that will not only keep your device running, but also protect your personal information against security breaches.

Get rid of waste

Are you running low on space on your device? No matter how much disk space a device has when it's new, over time it starts to run out. Apps, app data, large media files (such as videos, photos, documents and credentials), and downloads can start to litter your device. Go through your apps and delete everything you haven't used in the last 6-12 months.

If you are not sure if you use an app, you can always reinstall it later.

Photos and videos are some of the biggest space takers. You can free a lot of space just by going through and individually deleting out the photos you don't want or need any more from your gallery. Or you can back all of them up to a cloud-based storage solution and then remove them from your device altogether.

Being cloud-based means documents, photos, videos, among others will be stored on the servers of the solution provider, rather than on your device. However, do some research to make sure you trust the supplier and note that you won't be able to access your content when offline.

Faster performance

Is it taking too long for your device to boot up? Too many processes running in the background that are dragging you down when you are trying to watch a video on your tablet or mobile device? Does it continually stop to buffer?

A free optimisation product enables you to "tune-up" old and new devices to perform faster and run longer while at the same time avoiding costly upgrades that are not required. It works by taking care of difficult and time-consuming maintenance, such as cleaning unused files that programs create for temporary use, updating software and drivers, and tuning processes that drain the battery life from phones and laptops.

Secure your apps

According to F-Secure Labs, Android is a favourite target for mobile malware writers. That means people using Google's platform need to be extra cautious about the apps they use or install onto their devices. The best form of protection is to install security software on your phone, such as SuperSafe Internet Security. This will scan every app you download, flag potentially harmful websites that you are trying to access and block malicious content from your SAFE browser. It's a great way to make sure you stay protected after your spring clean!

Longer battery life

Your device's battery gets consumed by unnecessary apps and processes that run in the background. By closing those down, you can extend your battery life so you don't need to recharge your device as often.

Turn off Bluetooth and WiFi when you're not using it. The signal your device emits searching for another Bluetooth signal or a WiFi network will drain the battery. From a security perspective, it's also wise to turn these off when not using them.

*Source: Flurry Insight, Media, productivity & Emojis give mobile another stunning growth year.

About StephenF

Hey everyone, I'm your community manager and resident Apple & Nissan fanboy, here to help keep the community ticking over each day.

Check out more blogs from StephenF

4 Comments

Can ypu give me the password of the TalkTalk code please

Community Manager

@Sleeping beauty 145 what password are you looking for? 

Participant

Help can't access tiscali emails ! Since apple up date on my mobile can you help please 

Community Star

Hi @Mario3  Let's help you get connected again. Help with your TalkTalk service is the part of Community where that happens and here's a link for you to click to ask us: Start a Topic (Broadband) or Start a Topic (Fibre Broadband).