Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Asus DSL-N55U router with fibre

ANSWERED
20 REPLIES 20
AlanLJ
Popular Poster

I've just upgraded to fibre broadband and I'm just wondering wether I'll be able to continue using my Asus DSL-N55U router or if I'll need to use the one talktalk are sending out? 

Thanks

Anonymous
Not applicable

If your ASUS is anything like this model :-

Asus DSL-N55U - 300 Mbps Dual Band Wireless N Router ADSL 2/2+ Modem

Then the answer is unfortunately not as a direct replacement, that is an ADSL modem, for fibre you need a VDSL modem. Plus the TT supplied router will be customised for the Youview service (if you have that).

AlanLJ
Popular Poster

Is the router provided by TT of a good standard? Or is there a setup I can use that still utilises my Asus router. Paid £90 for it not so long ago so don't like the idea of not being able to use it!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Can't comment on the TT fibre router as fibre is still a distant (but getting closer) dream where I live.

There are ways to set up your TT and Asus in a master-slave type combination, this is sometimes used to extend the wireless range of configurations.

There is a knowledge base article on this - hopefully giving an answer, but I've never had to try this, so no idea how practical and or successful this is.

http://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Community-Knowledge-Base-beta/Setting-up-a-second-router-as-a-sla...

AlanLJ
Popular Poster

Thanks very much I will have a look at that!

charlesb224
Wise Owl
Solution

You can use your Asus DSL-N55U with the Fibre Modem (which is exactly what I have and have done) Just set your new SuperRouter into Bridge mode, and change the connection (WAN in Asus) to Dynamic...

See Here:

http://talktalkmembers.com/t5/Superpowered-Fibre-Broadband/Super-Router-HG635-Configure-for-Your-Own...

Screenshot of Asus WAN Setup Page:

dsl-n55uWAN.jpg

AlanLJ
Popular Poster

Perfect thanks!

AlanLJ
Popular Poster

Hi mate, that's me got my super router.

I'm some what of a networking noob, so I'm having a bit of trouble getting my setup up to work? Do you mind giving me a more basic step by step? Would be hugely appreciated if you could! 

Just as a first example im not even sure how to set my super router into bridged mode

charlesb224
Wise Owl

Check the link in the previous post - it's all there.

Connect to SUperrouter, either wired/wireless

Open Webpage http://192.168.1.1

Login to the superrouter - user admin, password the same

Follow instruction in link.

AlanLJ
Popular Poster

I don't have the option to set my WAN connection to dynamic/automatic ip. The only options there are PPPoA, bridged, iPoA etc

charlesb224
Wise Owl

OK.  You need to login to the superrouter, Click the INTERNET tab at the top then select Internet Connection on the left Side

Then, Click Edit and change the Conenction Type to Bridged.  Untick the TR069 box. Then SAVE.

Then, Click on HOME NETWORK TAb at the top.  

Click on LAN Interface on the left Menu and then click the "DHCP Server" Section to open the dropdown.

UNCHECK the Enable DHCP Server option and SAVE

Then.  Connect your DSL-N55U to the SuperRouter using a network cable.  Go to the Admin Page of the DSL-N55u and select WAN button the left side.  Change the connection type to Automatic IP as per the original piccie.

AlanLJ
Popular Poster

I have done all that on the super router, however I dont have that option on my asus router...I'll attach a screenshot of my WAN connection type choices.

asus.png
charlesb224
Wise Owl
You need to upgrade the firmware on your router. Older versions don't support wan.

See here: http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?id=20150123161508004&board_id=11&model=DSL-N55U&page=1&SLanguage...
charlesb224
Wise Owl
Actually

Go to the dual wan tab and change the primary wan type from dsl to Ethernet and choose the port which it will work with (ie the one that the Ethernet cable from the super router will plug into) save and then go to the wan tab and you should be able to select dynamic IP
AlanLJ
Popular Poster
Thanks, I have done everything now but still don't have Internet acces. I will attach pictures of all the settings I have and would appreciate if you could highlight if anything looks wrong.
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg
charlesb224
Wise Owl
Looks ok to me. Just 2 questions.

1) did you turn off DHCP on the super router

2) on the asus...confirm that the port specified on the dual wan page is indeed the physical port you've plugged into on the router.
charlesb224
Wise Owl

Sorry....! Just seen that the super router is incorrect.

You are on fibre yes? Looks like you have it set to Adsl ather than vdsl. Your screen should look like the one in the link instructions above.

hg635 PTM.png

Best option is a factory reset then try again.

Factory reset the super router and then try again.

AlanLJ
Popular Poster

I've disabled the DHCP server and the asus port is definitely correct.

My fibre hasn't been activated yet, I thought I would get all this setup so that when the fibre goes live I'll be ready.

Am I best just to wait until they've activated the fibre then try again?

Again, thanks for all your help

charlesb224
Wise Owl
Yep. I agree. Best to wait.
AlanLJ
Popular Poster

Ok, will get back to you if i have problems after the activation date haha!