Probably been covered before but why does my fibre to the cabinet broadband progressively keep slowing down ? It gets to the point where streaming any video is impossible and skype becomes unusable. It seems the router "hunts itself up into a corner" and can't get out. Does this regularly and I have to re boot. Document attached showing the problem. HG 633 router.
Assuming this to be an image of speed test or router screenshot s, please could you include them via the Photos button on the toolbar, then I can see them. Currently I'd have to wait until tonight on my PC to read word files.
How do you connect wireless, wired, or a mixture? If a mixture is a wired connection better than wireless?
It is important to see what your line is actually capable of and what your current download speed is.
Please can you log on to your router, by opening a web browser (e.g. Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox & Google Chrome etc) and then enter this address in the address bar:-
enter the credentials:-
password: admin use the unique password, which can be found at the top of the label on the rear of the router. It is the one labelled "router" or "admin" password, not the wireless one.
Then go to your ADSL or DSL summary page & paste the stats in this thread.
On the HG633 this is at:-
Maintain > System Information & expand Broadband Information
Do this on both wireless & wired (if you have wired), but with never more than one device connected at a time.
Please can you paste the results here
I'm sorry to hear this. I've run a test on the line which hasn't detected a fault and the sync speed looks consistent. I've updated the firmware, could you retest and let us know if the speeds are still varying.
Does this also affect both wired and wireless connections?
Sorry for the delay but other matters domestically were more demanding. Also, I could not log in to the router ( now sorted). I have come to the conclusion that there is a problem. I thought it might have been sorted with the firmware upgrade but alas no. My bradband is still progressively slowing down. Look at the info below including that I have got from the router.
latency varies between 96 and 236 mS
Download before reboot 2 MB/S
Upload before reboot 1.2 MB/S
DSL Connection Status
DSL synchronization status:
Upstream line rate (kbit/s):
Downstream line rate (kbit/s):
Upstream noise safety coefficient (dB):
Downstream noise safety coefficient (dB):
Upstream interleave depth:
Downstream interleave depth:
Upstream line attenuation (dB):
Downstream line attenuation (dB):
Upstream output power (dBm):
Downstream output power (dBm):
0 days 0 hours 2 minutes 33 seconds
Latency after the latest reboot
Download speed after reboot
Upload speed after reboot
I know latency can vary considerably depending on routing within the internet but the speed should not be that affected. The "before reboot" numbers show that the link is slow but I have checked the router's measured speed at the same time and it consistently shows just over 20 MB/S download speed even when I am measuring 2 MB/S or even down to 0.9 MB/S on my laptop. The measured speed after reboot is approximately 17.7 MB/S and the slight disparity between that and 20 MB/S is probably error correction / re tries but 17 is quite acceptable. The connection between router and laptop is via the mains link for ALL the measurements so that is not the problem . I als use wifi and that is just as unreliable as well. The problem I think is between my router and somewhere in the network. NOW - I know I am on Talktalk but in essence a lot of the connection uses BT's cables, cabinets and switches in the exchanges in which capacity and channels are rented by talktalk from BT so is BT causing the problem ?
One thing that concerns me is that in the router table of performance etc there is an indication of signal to noise ratio but there is no measurement listed of error rate. Why not ?
With the HG633 you can see some error counters, but not things such SES ES etc. However, it is not is the same area as those stats you have pulled up. Go to:-
Maintain > Statistics > Internet Statistics
You will see this display, although the numbers will obviously vary:-
Sorry for the long delay but I have been away, busy with building work etc. Who says retirement is an easy life !
I swapped out the original Huwei router and fitted the replacement D link one and have been trialling and checking its performance of and on since then. What a difference ! The D link one is stable, sits at about 14 MB/s or better all day and night with an upload speed of between 0.9 and 1 MB/s. I use the Which broadband speed checker. I think my original problem must have been a compatibility one between the Huwei one and the ADSL kit in my local fibre pillar which now appears to be solved. There is one thing that has shown up - the Latency has consistently been much higher. i.e. Huwei was abot 97 mS fairly consistently until things slowed down whereas the D link one is at least double that and sometimes more. This could just be that the kit does this, or the network has been re configured in the core network, or somehow I am being routed through another point so somebody can keep an eye on me ! Not sure why or if but paranoia rules OK !!!
Anyway, I will now be returning the older Huwei kit at last as I was hedging my bets.
Thanks for the update, glad to hear there's been an improvement with the new router.
If you're concerned about the latency can you try running a couple of sets of pings and trace routes at different times of day to www.google.co.uk and can you post the results. Can you run the tests on a device connected by Ethernet cable to your router
We have the same problem, and getting utterly ha jed off with it. I spent over an hour of my life that I will have again trying to sort it out with them and was told there is not a problem. There was afterwards, with my blood pressure.