NEED SOME HELP?

We’re here 24/7. 365 days a year.
Ask questions. Find your answers. Connect.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre slow or very slow

rjoseph
Team Player
Message 18 of 18

I switched to Fibre from standard TT broadband a while back.  On standard broadband we were only getting about 5mb and when we switched that went up to about 20mb.  This isn’t even close to the advertised speed but it was a significant improvement so I accepted it.

Over the last few months the broadband speed has fluctuated significantly, often as low as 1 or 2mb.  Often if we have a couple of devices in use we experience buffering.  Last night watching the football on BT (streaming), the quality kept dipping and no-one else was even online in the house which shouldn't happen on fibre.

Sometimes rebooting the router helps but that shouldn’t be the solution.

Can our line be checked or any support be given?  (We do not have a master socket)

Thanks

0 Likes
17 REPLIES 17

Message 1 of 18

Hi rjoseph

Thanks for keeping us updated. Please can you return the old router using the returns bag.

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 2 of 18

Hi,

We've had the replacement router running a few days now and it does seem better (we haven't had any major dips).

Shall I return the old one?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 3 of 18

Hi rjoseph

Thank you 🙂

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 4 of 18

Thank you - I will do.

0 Likes

Message 5 of 18

Hi rjoseph

The replacement router is on its way, please allow 24-48hrs for this to arrive.

Let us know how the connection compares with this router.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 6 of 18

Hi,

Thanks, no, I've never tested with another router (I don't have another one).  I think trying a new one would be a good idea.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 7 of 18

Hi rjoseph,

Apologies for the confusion. Have you ever tested with an alternative router? If not then let us know and we can arrange to send a replacement router for testing purposes to rule this out.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 8 of 18

I can do that although not sure what we are trying to establish here?  I’m seeing the same speeds on tests either wired or wireless so would assume this to continue when the speed drops too.

0 Likes

Message 9 of 18

Hi rjoseph 

When the speed drops could you then run a wired speed test so we can see these results?

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 10 of 18

Hi,

So I ran the test this morning both wired and wireless.

Wired 22.7MBPS

Wireless 21.8MBPS

As I say, if it stayed like that all the time I wouldn't be bothered. Just last night one of the kids said "the internet's gone slow again"...

To give you some more data, I use speedtest.net which saves all tests I run. Here is some of that recent data showing the variations:

20/9 - 21.81 MBPS

9/9 - 6.94 MBPS

3/9 - 16.68 MBPS

3/9 - 12.61 MBPS

3/9 - 20.85

28/8 - 1.8 MBPS

28/8 - 6.99 MBPS

27/8 - 1.61 MBPS

0 Likes

Message 11 of 18

Hi rjoseph,

Ok, please let us know how you get on 🙂

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 12 of 18

Hi, Yes, we have a filter on that socket too.

I'll run the wired tests tomorrow but as I say, if it's running well it may well return good results. I will run both wireless and wired tests.

Thank you for your help.

0 Likes

Message 13 of 18

Thanks for the information 

"Yes, we also have a landline phone connected to a different socket in another room."

Is this telephone also connected to the socket via a micro-filter?

"I can run some wired tests later or tomorrow when I'm home, but note that the issue is the variability of the speed so I may find it OK."

Thanks, yes we need to check if the variability is still present when connected by Ethernet cable to check if this is just a wi-fi issue - please let us know how you get on

Chris

0 Likes

Message 14 of 18

Yes, we also have a landline phone connected to a different socket in another room.

I can run some wired tests later or tomorrow when I'm home, but note that the issue is the variability of the speed so I may find it OK.

0 Likes

Message 15 of 18

Hi rjoseph,

Do you have any other devices connected to your telephone sockets in addition to your router?

Are you able to run some speed test on the My Account speed checker on a device connected by Ethernet cable to your router (can you try to make sure that no other devices/applications accessing the internet at the time)

Chris

0 Likes

Message 16 of 18

Thanks for the reply. Some answers:

• Is the voice service ok? Are you experiencing any noise on the line?

Voice is fine. No noise on line. I have filters in use.

• Are you connected wired or wireless when the speed drops?

Always wireless.  Note that we never lose connection, just bandwidth.

• Where is the router currently connected? Do you have any extension sockets?

Effectively the whole house is on extension sockets as there is no ‘master socket’.  It’s for this reason I had not queried only getting 20meg when I was told I would get much higher.  It’s the variability which is the problem as sometimes you can’t even watch iPlayer on the laptop without constant buffering so I check the speed and see sub 2meg. I'll test it again maybe the next morning and it's 20meg.

0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 17 of 18

Hi rjoseph,

I'm sorry to hear this and I'll take a look now. I've run a test on the line which hasn't detected a fault. Is the voice service ok? Are you experiencing any noise on the line?

Are you connected wired or wireless when the speed drops? Where is the router currently connected? Do you have any extension sockets?

Thanks

0 Likes