NEED SOME HELP?

We’re here 24/7. 365 days a year.
Ask questions. Find your answers. Connect.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HG533 router keeps reverting to factory default passwords

DaveB1361
Chatterbox
Message 6 of 6

I received one of those ransomware e-mails a few days ago. Supposed to have hacked my router and downloaded my entire disk contents and accessed my webcam - nice try as I don't have one. And it would have taken forever as my upload speed is less than 1Mbps and I have gigabytes and gigabytes of data  (lots huge digitally encoded wideband radio signals).

BUT having checked for malware and proved to my satisfaction that my e-mail address had been spoofed and not compromised I decided to check my router. I reset the router login pasword, the wireless password, and then had to change all my devices wi-fi login details.

Later that evening I lost connection to the router and the new wireless password was rejected. So I tried the default one - and bingo! connected again. Then I checked and found router login had also defaulted to the factory version. This has happend twice more.

So the big question - is my router being hacked/compromised? or is it 'flaky'?

Obviously I'm concerned.

0 Likes
5 REPLIES 5

Message 1 of 6

Hi DaveB1361,

Thanks for the update, yes please just monitor for a few days to confirm everything OK.

You should have received a returns bag in the box with the new router, if you didn't please let us know and we'll send one 🙂

Thanks

Chris

0 Likes

Message 2 of 6

The new router has been received and connected. No change in internet speed - not that it was expected - but devices appear to connect quicker.

So it is a case of monitoring for a few days. I was also pleased to see that the router login has an assigned password - not just a default which is useful.

Will talktalk need the old router HG533 back (once I've confirmed everything stays stable) - if so what are the instructions for return?  

0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 3 of 6

Hi DaveB1361,

Great, please keep us updated 🙂

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 4 of 6
Thanks Ady- I will certainly install and monitor the replacement router
0 Likes

Ady-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 5 of 6

Hi DaveB1361, as you say the email is a scam spoofed to you. Your router won't have been hacked it seems like an unfortunate coincidence.  I've sent a replacement router for you. Please let us know how you get on.

0 Likes