NEED SOME HELP?

We’re here 24/7. 365 days a year.
Ask questions. Find your answers. Connect.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I find out if my wireless internet has been hacked?

molly57
Chat Champion
Message 7 of 7

Good Morning

For the past two weeks or more I have had terrible connection problems with my internet. Pages are slow to load taking several minutes at times, the connection keeps dropping out and I can't watch TV, iPlayer etc because of the constant buffering and signal dropping out.

I thought it was due to busy periods of the day and a weak spot upstairs in my house where it is at its worst. I have recently purchased a streaming device and I cannot use it at all because the buffering is even worse using it with only being able to view about 15 seconds and then it cuts out.

I started to read up on how to boost my signal and it was suggested that someone may have hacked into my service or be piggybacking off my service. One of the suggestions to check if this was happening was to turn off and make sure I was not using any wireless devices. If the wireless and internet light on the hub still flicker as if in in use when my devices are not connected then that means someone else is using my wireless internet. Do you think this is true?

I spoke with TalkTalk last week via livechat and they said my connection was fine. I did not mention about the hacking or piggybacking then.

I was thinking of buying a wifi booster but why should I pay out when my internet is being stolen! 

0 Likes
6 REPLIES 6

Message 1 of 7

Thank You.

0 Likes

Message 2 of 7

Hi

If there is a fault on any part of the line this can affect the broadband and the line speeds.

Now my colleagues have raised this to BT Openreach they should be able to resolve, but if you need my help with anything, please don't hesitate to ask.

Regards,

Karl. 

0 Likes

Message 3 of 7

Hello,

Thank you for your reply. I have been back in touch with TalkTalk and it appears there is a fault with my Broadband which has been passed to Openreach to deal with.

Also there is a big issue with my line speed. My line can take up 2Mb and I should be getting no less than 1.3Mb. Currently I am getting 0.5Mb. 

So I will wait to see what they do to help.

0 Likes

Message 4 of 7

Hello,

Thank you for your reply. I have been back in touch with TalkTalk and it appears there is a fault with my Broadband which has been passed to Openreach to deal with.

Also there is a big issue with my line speed. My line can take up 2Mb and I should be getting no less than 1.3Mb. Currently I am getting 0.5Mb. 

So I will wait to see what they do to help.

Regards

0 Likes

Karl-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 5 of 7

Hi molly57

As martswain advises, it is very unlikely your wifi has been hacked and there could be other underlying issues.

Add your home phone number to your Community Profile and I'll take a look at your connection for any issues.

Thanks

Karl. 

0 Likes

martswain
Philosopher
Message 6 of 7

Has anyone had access to your home to see the WiFi password printed on your router ?

If not, it is very unlikely that anyone apart from you is connected, but if you log into the router you can see the connected devices.

It is much more likely that you have a weak WiFi signal as you say.

Another possibility is interference from neighbours if you are in a property that has shared walls.

You can download a WiFi analyser for many devices and see if you are sharing channels with nearby routers and move to a less congested channel.