would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Legacy Email Security

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
elmbeard
Chatterbox
How do I reset my password on my orphaned legacy email account, without a TalkTalk account, and without having to disclose sufficient personal information on an insecure link to make me victim to identity theft? I am getting several dozen reports daily in my Inbox about my account being used to target others globally with spam, phishing and worse - quite a few alerting my virus checker. I do use this account routinely when buying things online, and any of these could be harvesting my email address to send me spam, but I suspect that a hacker has got hold of my password, and there is nothing I can do to change it, other than to post my personal details onto an insecure bulletin board.
elmbeard
Chatterbox
It may be that information about me stored by my email ISP provider was lost when it was taken over, and all there is left linking my account to anything is a password. If that password has been compromised, then who is to say an imposter would not use this to change the password, putting the whole account out of reach of the true owner? There needs to be some verification process therefore to link the account with its true owner, who once properly identified can change the password. Possibly one way to do this is to link it to a third party email address that does have verifiable contact information, and from there cover both TalkTalk and any original owner, since any malicious hijacking of an account could be traced and dealt with. I welcome other ideas.
Weevie
Enlightened One

@elmbeard wrote:
It may be that information about me stored by my email ISP provider was lost when it was taken over, and all there is left linking my account to anything is a password. If that password has been compromised, then who is to say an imposter would not use this to change the password, putting the whole account out of reach of the true owner? There needs to be some verification process therefore to link the account with its true owner, who once properly identified can change the password. Possibly one way to do this is to link it to a third party email address that does have verifiable contact information, and from there cover both TalkTalk and any owner, since any malicious hijacking of an account could be traced and dealt with. I welcome other ideas.

original

Just noticed this post - the answer depends on who your original ISP was ... for me - it was Nildram (gotadsl.co.uk) - which was taken over by TT Business - so I stilll have access via TTB's website  - if yours was AOL - You still have access to your old account on-line