NEED SOME HELP?

We’re here 24/7. 365 days a year.
Ask questions. Find your answers. Connect.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

POOR BROADBAND SPEEDS

MickP54
Team Player
Message 45 of 45

I am a NEW customer and am using TALKTALKs new WIFI HUB router

Whether ethernet wired or WIFI I am struggling to get just over half my contracted speeds (20/40MBsec)

An OPEN REACH Engineer has visited this week and confirmed my contracted speed of 40 MB/sec is entering my premises but ALL my devices (PC, ipad, iphone, android TV box) struggle to get half this speed (20MB/sec) using the Ookla speed test. Using a VPN throttles my speeds even more!

TALKTALK have just sent me an exchange router but the results are much the same?

Can you advise what is the minimum guaranteed speeds I can expect?

Can TALKTALK tweak the software on these routers to resolve this issue or can they supply an alternative router to try that doesn’t limit the speeds? Having just read the TALKTALK community HELP forums I have followed the advise to switch OFF the router for 30 minutes then RECONNECT and RETEST. The forums also suggest an SDLM OPTIMISATION of the router. CAN YOU HELP?

0 Likes
44 REPLIES 44

Message 1 of 45

Hi Mick,

Thanks for trying this. Do you receive the same throughput speeds on 2 different wired devices? As soon as we've confirmed this then we can pass this back to our Network Team.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 2 of 45

Hi

POWER DOWN 45+ minutes

ALL WIFI devices switched OFF, ALL ETHERNET devices DISCONNECTED other than measuring PC, ethernet connected

POWER UP, TALK TALK SPEED TEST used

RESULT RETURNED, DOWNLOAD: 22.9 Mbsec

Kind Regards

Mick

0 Likes

Message 3 of 45

Hi Mick

Please can you power down your router for a full 30 minutes and then run a speed test with just one device connected?

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 4 of 45

Hi

UPDATE AS REQUESTED

Open Reach Engineer visited as arranged this morning

His equipment confirmed that the required broadband speeds were entering the premises.

However ALL my 4 DEVICES (Lenovo Windows 10 PC, Samsung GALAXY 8 android phone, Apple ipad, Android streamBox Home network ethernet connected) are still returning poor speeds (20-25 mbsec) using both the Ookla and TALKTALK speed tests on both WIFI and Ethernet where possible......the engineers phone was returning slightly better speeds (30-32 mbsec) for which there appeared was no explanation as to the discrepancy between the readings

So basically there is no resolution to the problem

Kind Regards

Mick Pope

0 Likes

Message 5 of 45

Hi Mick

The engineer visit has been arranged for 28/12/18 AM (8am - 1pm)

Please let us know how you get on following this visit.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 6 of 45

Hi Mick

Thanks for the Private Message.

I've passed your availability for an engineer visit over to our Network Team and I will post back on this thread to confirm the date and time of this visit.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 7 of 45

Many thanks

0 Likes

Message 8 of 45

Hi MickP54

If you click on my Community Avatar then it should give you the option to send a Personal/Private message.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 9 of 45

CANT FIND PRIVATE MESSAGES?

The option is ticked in settings but I cant seem to get to the feature?

Can u direct me?

0 Likes

Message 10 of 45

I confirm that I accept potential engineers charges?

I am available AM or PM Mon-Fri for an appointment

Regards

mick

0 Likes

Message 11 of 45

Hi Mick,

Our network team have said that they'll need to arrange an engineer visit to carry out further investigations. If you'd like us to go ahead with the engineer visit can you confirm:

• That you accept potential Engineers charges
  • Provide availability, either AM (8am to 1pm) or PM (1pm to 6pm) between Monday to Friday.

I've also PM'd you to confirm some other details

Thanks
Chris

0 Likes

Message 12 of 45

OK Chris

No problem, will await further progress

Have a good Christmas

Thanks

Mick

0 Likes

Message 13 of 45

Thanks for the bump. There have been no updates yet so I'm chasing it up for you. If you don't hear anything later today can you bump the thread again later in the week 

Thanks
Chris

0 Likes

Message 14 of 45

bump

0 Likes

Message 15 of 45

bump

0 Likes

Message 16 of 45

Hi Mick,

Thanks for the information 

I've raised this to our network team for further investigation. Can you bump the thread tomorrow and we'll check for updates

Thanks
Chris

0 Likes

Message 17 of 45

Hi Chris

Have run the Ookla speed test on ALL my devices (ipad, iphone, android stream box) with similar results......Also the Open Reach engineer was also getting similar results on his equipment when he visited last week

Just ran (11.15am TODAY) the TALKTALK speed test on the alternative HG633 router on ethernet with the following result

DOWNLOAD:  22.4mbsec

Just ran the Ookla speed TEST on my ipad (11.40am) with the following result on WIFI

DOWNLOAD: 21.3mbsec

Just ran the Ookla speed on android stream box on ethernet home network connection with the following result

DOWNLOAD: 22.8mbsec

Regards

Mick

0 Likes

Message 18 of 45

Apologies, I didn't make that clear, I meant an alternative to your PC rather than an alternative router (although it would also be good to try the different router)

Chris

0 Likes

Message 19 of 45

I still have the HG633 router you sent

I will install that again and re run the test today

Regards

Mick

0 Likes

Message 20 of 45

Thanks for running the tests. Do you have different  device  that you can connect to the router by Ethernet cable and run a couple of speed test on?

Chris

0 Likes