Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Potential Update

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Conversation Starter

I received an email from talktalk claiming a potential threat has been detected on one or more of my devices. As I have and run anti virus software I don't see how this is possible. Is this just a ploy to get me to install talktalk supersafe.

Chris

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi @novelty

This is the second report I've seen today. Can you look at the email header and copy that here please?  It may be the start of a 'phishing' exploit or it could be genuine. But whatever, it needs checking out.

PS Remove the personally identifiable part of your email address before posting.

In TalkTalk webmail, a genuine email from TalkTalk will have a yellow padlock symbol.

Highlighted
Wizz Kid

I got the same email today (twice). I think/hope it is just a badly conceived marketing email.

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Home-Safe-Super-Safe-Boost/quot-You-may-have-downloaded-a-virus-...

Highlighted
Community Star

Chris

Have you taken heed of the message?

What have you found after running anti-virus and anti-malware scans on all your devices? And checked your router for unauthorised devices connecting.  Changing the router wi-fi password would be a good choice just in case.

Highlighted
Enlightened One
@Gondola wrote:

In TalkTalk webmail, a genuine email from TalkTalk will have a yellow padlock symbol.

Aside permitting Gondola / novelty .....

TalkTalk Webmail ~ Message Padlock.jpgTalkTalk Webmail ~ Message Padlock.jpg

..... but if not permissible, remove the post Gondola!

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi @TheHornedOne

Nice imagery.  Just like this one previously from contributor RichardSavage.

Highlighted
Enlightened One

@Gondola wrote:

Hi @TheHornedOne

Nice imagery.  Just like this one previously from contributor RichardSavage.

Nah, better, but he does some good work though, ha!

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi @novelty (Chris)

Putting aside the contributions from TheHornedOne / RichardSavage who share the same mailbox with the genuine TalkTalk yellow padlock symbol, the email to you is confirmed as genuine and triggered by the network security systems.

So, it's important to find out what triggered the email. What have you found out by running anti-virus and anti-malware scans on your devices?

Either the email is being wrongly triggered or the systems have detected some suspicious activity. It would be good to know which. For your security if nothing else.