I make use of various File Hosting sites, one of them being RealDebrid. Several weeks ago my download speed from their site dropped from my usual 6+MB/sec to a fixed rate of 1.8MB/sec and has remained like that no matter which file I download. The RealDebrid technical team have run quite exhaustive tests to find out why this is happening and have come to the conclusion that their service is somehow being restricted by TalkTalk, hence the reason for contacting you via the forums. Part of their testing requires downloading of very large test files from their various servers to establish a true download rate, the results and URLs of their servers are shown at the end of this mail.
I would like to mention that I do not have this problem with any other File Hoster and I am able to download files from them to the full speed capability of my line.
All tests carried out at the Master socket using Network Cabling.
Two different Modem/Routers used in the testing, both giving the same result.
Windows 10 operating system, various computers used in the tests.
No VPN in use.
Attainable Net Data Rate: 75.655 Mbps
Line Rate: 75.080 Mbps
Stable connection for 2+ years
No other File Hosters affected.
**RealDebrid test servers**
http: // 30.download.real-debrid.com/speedtest/test.rar - 1.9MB/sec MAX
http: // proof.ovh.net/files/1Gb.dat - 1.3MB/sec MAX
http: // 5.download.real-debrid.com/speedtest/test.rar - 1.5MB/sec MAX
http: // ping.online.net/1000Mo.dat - 1.6MB/sec MAX
http: // mirror.nforce.com/pub/speedtests/10000mb.bin - 1.9MB/sec MAX
http: // 32.download.real-debrid.com/speedtest/test.rar - 1.8MB/sec MAX
http: // ams.download.10gbps.io/10000mb.bin - 1.9MB/sec MAX
http: // 4.download.real-debrid.com/speedtest/test.rar - 1.9MB/sec MAX
http: // speedtest.ams03.softlayer.com/downloads/test100.zip - 1.9MB/sec MAX
http: // speedtest-ams3.digitalocean.com/100mb.test - 2.0MB/sec MAX
I would be very grateful if you could resolve this problem as it takes nearly 4x the time to download due to this restriction.
TalkTalk policy is not to rate-limit any sites but the network does block sites as required by Court Order. This is, for example, to actively block customers’ access to streams provided by third-party add-ons on TV streaming boxes such as Kodi and illegal website live streaming which contravenes copyright holders' rights.
On the basis that your network speeds are normal on all other sites this would suggest to me that the rate-limiting is actually a source issue.
I've got file-sharing sites blocked on my KidsSafe settings so I'm not going to personally investigate but I've drawn this topic to the attention of the TalkTalk Community support team of OCE's and they'll respond to you right here to help you.
I can't think of any reason why your speeds would be restricted in this way. Can you switch your router off and leave it off for at least 30 minutes, then switch back on and retest (this will force a new session) - please let us know how you get on
Thank you for taking the time to reply to my post.
I have tried 3 different routers and each time I made sure that before changing to another they were switched off for more than 30 minutes at a time but it does not make any difference at all. At the moment I am back on the TalkTalk router should you need to check anything. I have even used different computers but I am always limited to a download rate of 1.8MB/sec on the RealDebrid network. As soon as I start a download it immediately goes to that rate and remains there until the download is complete.
My employment takes me all over the world installing and setting up Industrial software at Clients premises and most of this software I keep online in accounts such as Dropbox, Google Docs etc. but in many countries, mostly in the Far East, Middle East and South America they, for whatever reason, block access to my online storage which means I have to use a service like RealDebrid to fetch the software on my behalf. The strange part about the fault that I have is that I don't get that speed restriction while in other countries. It is only when I return to my home in the UK that it gets restricted for some unknown reason.
I first noticed this a couple of months ago when I was back in the UK but as I was only home for a short period I did not give it much notice but now that I am at home again I see that the same thing is happening. RealDebrid have been quite helpful and have established that no fault lies at their end so that is why I contacted TalkTalk support.
Several years ago I had a similar problem in the UK with a fixed download rate being applied to every download regardles of what site I used. At that time the Technical services could find nothing wrong and tried to get me to accept their findings but the fault persisted. After many checks later I was told to 'try it now' and lo and behold everything worked as normal. I have a feeling that the fault I am having at the moment is similar in nature so please don't give up on me as I really need to make sure that I can use RealDebrid as intended.
It has been a while now since you informed me that you were waiting for an update so could you please tell me at what stage the investigation is at as I am still experiencing the original problems.
I'm afraid that our network team cannot find a problem, the line is passing all tests and not showing any errors, they cant find any reason for the download speeds from the website.
The fault ticket has been closed.