NEED SOME HELP?

We’re here 24/7. 365 days a year.
Ask questions. Find your answers. Connect.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow Fibre Sync Speed Issues

gwynethsearle
Popular Poster
Message 17 of 17

Hello, when i first took out fibre broadband i was getting a constant 20mb connection sync and throughput speed.

Very recently I had a problem with my line which required an openreach engineer to attend my property. There was a line fault and after spending a few hours at my property he reported that it was fixed. He also mentioned that I would have to wait to the system to "refresh itself" and then decided that he would "reset it" for me himself. I am presuming that he was referring to the DLM software. 

Ive never had any connection issues stability wise at all until I had this problem with the line occured. It first left me without sync and then the connection was intermittent until it was resolved by the openreach engineer.

The problem that I am now facing is that my sysnc speed seems to be changing intermittently down to as low as 10mb.

Last Sunday it was Syncing at about 10mb when I had everything connected to the BT socket faceplate. I removed the faceplate and connected it directly to the test socket and it synced at 15mb. I tried a new filter and a new RJ45 cable and connected it to test and it remained at 15mb. I have left it connected to test the whole week and when i checked yesterday, it had synced up at 28mb. Which is something I have put down to maybe the fact I was getting interference coming from the faceplate itself and I was just willing to leave it connected directly to the test socket. Today I have checked and it has dropped back down to 15mb sync speed and nothing has changed in my setup, there has been no drops in my connection but when my speeds hit around 10mb I start to notice small instances of buffering when I am watching things on catchup.

Can you have a look at my line history and see if there is any reason why the sync is falling down to as low as 10mb/15mb please?

Just to recap, I am connected to test socket, there are no other things connected in my property. I have tried a new filter, a new RJ45, i have only tested the router that I have and it is the sync speed that I am concerned about. The throughput speed has always been fine and matched the sync speed.

Thanks in advance.

16 REPLIES 16

Message 1 of 17

Hi gwynethsearle,

"I will continue to monitor the sync rate over the next few days but can I ask why this is not being passed to networks for further investigation now?"

The line test is only showing a potential issue, if I pass it to networks they will need to arrange an engineer visit to investigate which could incur a charge. If the connection does remain unstable just let us know and we'll escalate

Chris

0 Likes

Message 2 of 17

Hi Chris, I will continue to monitor the sync rate over the next few days but can I ask why this is not being passed to networks for further investigation now? 

Please bear in mind that not long ago ago I had the same issue and you confirmed there was a possible fault on the line, it was passed to networks, the fault was resolved, the line test was clear the sync went up. 

Last friday, I lose connection for several hours which on the router was suggesting an auth issue, auth was gained the router re synced but the sync rate dropped the throughput dropped, there is now a possible line fault on the line and today the sync has increased. 

I have always had it connected to the test socket with a single filter and nothing else connected in the setup, not even a land landline. 

So to go from having a line fault way back at the beginning to not having a line fault to now possibly having one again within the space of months and nothing changing setup wise. I’m anticipating that I once again have the same issue as before. 

Which when was was resolved and the line test was clear, worked perfectly. 

It doesn’t seem like just a coincidence that I’ve had the same issues as before and this all started again on Friday when I lost connection for several hours.

Thanks in advance 

0 Likes

Message 3 of 17

The line test is still showing a potential problem so if you could continue to monitor and if the sync speed does continue to fluctuate we can pass this back to our network team for further investigation 

Chris

0 Likes

Message 4 of 17

Hi Chris and thanks for the reply, I will monitor the connection over the next several days. 

Can you you confirm if the line test is showing any possible errors still or if it is now coming back as no fault detected? 

In in my original instance of contacting you (the very first post) my sync would increase and decrease over a period of a couple of days at a time. The only time that it has remained stable was before the original fault and after the fault was fixed and when the line test was clear from possible errors. 

Ive only experienced this drop in sync when I lost auth for a few hours on Friday and once again was told that there was possible errors on the line. 

I will monitor the connection as requested but if you could just confirm the outcome of the line test for me please, I would appreciate it. 

Thanks in advance 

0 Likes

Message 5 of 17

Hi gwynethsearle,

Thanks for that. Your sync speed has now improved to 29.9Mbps have you noticed and improvement at your end?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 6 of 17

Hi Debbie, I have removed the router and filter and connected just the landline directly into the test socket and I can confirm there is a dial tone and there is no noise on the line at all.

i have removed the landline and I am once again connected directly to the text socket with just my router and filter plugged in.

i have no other connections or equipment in my setup.

thank you

0 Likes

Message 7 of 17

Hi gwynethsearle 

I'm sorry to hear this.

The line test has detected a possible fault.

Is your landline service working ok when making calls? Is the router currently connected at the test socket?

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 8 of 17

Hi, a few days ago on Friday I think it was, my Internet connection went off for a few hours. The Internet light was red so I thought it would probably just be an auth issue as I haven't changed anything in my setup. After a few hours it turned green and everything was working again as normal.

Today I have noticed that my throughput speed is only reaching about 700 - 800kbps. So I have logged into my router and noticed that my Sync speed has once again dropped only this time to 17mb.

Previously when you resolved my issue and the line synced up, it reached I think about 28mb (see above posts for more details) and the throughput speed was matching the sync rate.

Seen as the internet connection went off for a few hours, can you please run a line test and see if there is any errors showing on my line as this drop in sync speed has drastically affected my internet performance.

Nothing has changed in my setup from the original details posted above and I am still connected to the test socket.

Thanks in advance.

0 Likes

Message 9 of 17

No Problem 🙂

Karl 

0 Likes

Message 10 of 17

Thanks for your help Karl.

0 Likes

Message 11 of 17

Hi

All tests are now showing clear and sync speed has increased to 28.9mb so the line speed is now where it should be for your line.

Thanks

Karl. 

0 Likes

Message 12 of 17

Thanks Karl, will I get updated on the outcome via sms or this forum?

0 Likes

Message 13 of 17

Hi

This is logged out to BT Openreach for a Non Appointed engineer - Non appointed means the engineer will be dispatched to look at the line without requiring an appointment be made with you to visit your property.  

Thanks

Karl.

0 Likes

Message 14 of 17

Hi

I've passed this to our network teams for investigation.

Thanks

Karl. 

0 Likes

Message 15 of 17

Hi Karl, I have just bought a corded telephone to test with and I have removed everything from the test socket and connected just the corded telephone to the test socket directly and when I lift the handset I get a dial tone as expected and there is zero noise or interference on the line. 

I have now removed this from the test socket and reconnected just my filter and router directly to the test socket and will leave connected like this till you update me further. 

Thanks in advance.

0 Likes

Karl-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 16 of 17

Hi

I am detecting a possible fault on the line.  Can you check the home phone and confirm if there is a clear dial tone ?

Thanks

Karl. 

0 Likes