cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Slower fibre speed after installing new wifi hub.

ANSWERED
31 REPLIES 31
Highlighted
Team Player

I recently changed my HG633 router for the new Wi-Fi hub. I was achieving speeds of up to 23mbps prior to the change, unfortunately I now only achieve 17.5 mbps with the new hub. I contacted Talk talk regarding this and they sent me an exchange hub saying that the new hub may be faulty. I am still only getting 17.5mbps so it was obviously not a faulty hub. Needless to say I am very disappointed after reading good reviews regarding the new WiFi hub.

Highlighted
Community Star

Did you allow a full 30 mins between disconnecting the router & connecting the hub or between the old hub & the new one? This is required to ensure all previous sessions are cleared. If still no better I'll ask the OCEs to do a DLM optimisation for you.

Highlighted
Team Player

Thank you for your help. I do not believe I allowed a full 30 minutes between connections. What is my best option to now improve the speed?

Highlighted
Super Duper Contributor

@Yorky678 If you turn your new hub off for around 40 mins when you turn it back on a new session is created and the speed negotiation process begins afresh.

However a few users have reported that if your maximum line speed is close to your package speed then the new hub will sync at a slightly slower speed than previous super routers due to a couple of line stats being reported incorrectly. If I can find a link I’ll add it shortly...

have a a look at this topic... downstream signal to noise ratio is reported incorrectly...

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Fibre-Broadband/WiFi-Hub-Stats-amp-Performance/td-p/2222298

Highlighted
Community Star

As the previous poster has said, just turn the hub off for at least 30 mins.

Highlighted
Team Player

I have followed the advice of turning my router off for 30 minutes and still find that the speed is less than the previous HG633 router produced 23mbps now reduced to17.5 mbps maximum. I have spoken to Talk talk technical team and they are of the opinion that my speed is within the acceptable speed for my connection. If I had known I would not have purchased the new WiFi hub that is supposed to give me faster speeds. One advisor thought that the first hub must have been faulty and replaced it with another that still produces the same results!!

Highlighted
Community Star

As promised I will ask one of TalkTalk's OCEs to pick your thread up and get them to try a SDLM optimisation for you.

The forum is not real-time 24/7 support, so depending on how busy they are & how many are working at any one time, this can take 24 - 48 hrs (excluding weekends & Bank Holidays). Alternatively, you can call the call centre or use online chat. The posts are responded to in time/date order, oldest first. So the fewer entries you make on your thread now, the sooner they will pick it up.

To save yourself time, please make sure that your community profile includes your first & last names, broadband phone number & if possible an alternative contact number. This can be done by clicking on your Avatar picture then click on "My Settings" followed by:-

Personal Profile > Personal Information

Otherwise, TT will not be able to tie up your forum username to your broadband account. Only you & TalkTalk have visibility of your details.

Highlighted
Team Player
Thank you for your advice.
Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi Yorky678,

I've run a test on the line which hasn't detected a fault, however I can see that the sync speed is varying. Just to confirm, which router is connected at the moment?

If you re-connect the HG633 does the sync speed then increase again?

Thanks

Highlighted
Team Player

Thank you for running the test. The new WiFi hub is connected at the moment,when I reconnect the HG633 the speed increases immediately. 

Highlighted

Hi Yorky678,

Thanks for confirming. Could I also just confirm that when you connect the wifi hub that you're using all the new cables that came with this router?

Thanks

Highlighted
Team Player

I can confirm that I am using the new cables that came with the hub.

Highlighted

Hi Yorky678 

Thanks for your reply.

I've contacted our Products Team in regards to the difference in speed and I will post back on this thread as soon as I receive further information.

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Team Player

Hi Debbie

Thank you for your help I look forward to hearing from you. Meanwhile I will continue to monitor my speeds

Regards Yorky 678.

Highlighted

Hi Yorky678

Apologies for the delay.

I'm just waiting for further information from our Products Team. I will post back on this thread as soon as I receive this informartion.

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Team Player

Hi Debbie

Thank you for the update. I have checked my speed again and it is still around 17mbps, and still using the new WiFi hub.

Thanks

Yorky678.

Highlighted

Hi Yorky678, 

Thanks for the update, we'll let you know when we receive an update from our Products Team

Chris

Highlighted
Team Player

I posted on the forum regarding the decrease in speed after installing the new WiFi hub over a week ago. I was hoping that someone at Talktalk might have been able to resolve the problem. Yesterday in frustration I reconnected the HG633 router and my speed immediately increased to 25mbps over Ethernet and 24.5mbps over WiFi. I then reconnected the new WiFi hub after 30 minutes and found that the speed had reduced to 17.5mbps over Ethernet and to 17mbps over WiFi. I contacted Talk talk so called technical department and yet again explained the issue regarding the difference in speed.I was informed that I was receiving more than the minimum required speed so there was no problem. I said that there must be a problem as my speed had reduced. I was then put on hold for twenty minutes,waiting to be connected to a manager and had to explain everything again. The problem will be investigated but I do not believe that it will be resolved. The new WiFi hub that is supposed to give customers a faster speed in fact gives a slower speed. I believe that I am not the only customer experiencing this issue.I do not have enough technical knowledge but surely adjustments can be made to the new WiFi hub to give customers the faster speeds that the hub is supposed to produce. I am fed up of being passed from one advisor to another and the issue not being resolved.

Highlighted
Team Player

I posted on the forum regarding the decrease in speed after installing the new WiFi hub over a week ago. I was hoping that someone at Talktalk might have been able to resolve the problem. Yesterday in frustration I reconnected the HG633 router and my speed immediately increased to 25mbps over Ethernet and 24.5mbps over WiFi. I then reconnected the new WiFi hub after 30 minutes and found that the speed had reduced to 17.5mbps over Ethernet and to 17mbps over WiFi. I contacted Talk talk so called technical department and yet again explained the issue regarding the difference in speed.I was informed that I was receiving more than the minimum required speed so there was no problem. I said that there must be a problem as my speed had reduced. I was then put on hold for twenty minutes,waiting to be connected to a manager and had to explain everything again. The problem will be investigated but I do not believe that it will be resolved. The new WiFi hub that is supposed to give customers a faster speed in fact gives a slower speed. I believe that I am not the only customer experiencing this issue.I do not have enough technical knowledge but surely adjustments can be made to the new WiFi hub to give customers the faster speeds that the hub is supposed to produce. I am fed up of being passed from one advisor to another and the issue not being resolved.

Highlighted
Community Star
Solution

Hi @Yorky678

@OCE_Debbie said that she had passed this over to the TalkTalk Products team who are looking into this. She said that she woukd post back on here when there was an update.

I would imagine that they would need to simulate your line conditions to see if they can replicate the problem. If they can, that would tend to suggest a firmware issue that needs investigation. If they can't replicate it, then I would imagine that they would decide that there could be something a miss with your hub & recommend a replacement.

However, not working for TalkTalk I cannot guarantee that. At least you can temporarily swap back to your old router.