would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Slowing download speed

20 REPLIES 20
Colinho
Conversation Starter

Hello

When we originally upgraded to fibre in March'18 we had top download speed - very pleased! Gradually this has decreased. We are now hardly getting over 10Mbps - testing usally peaks at 20Mbps and drops to 10/9/8/7Mbps over the ten second test.

Upload speed isn't affected - usually around 9/10Mbps. 

Download is hardly different to our previous non-fibre speed.

We have a HG633 router connected to master socket, nothing has changed internally over the last four months, no problem with phone line that I can tell. 

Are you able to test and advise?

Many thanks

Community Team

Hi Colinho,

Your sync speed is 40Mbps, are you running the speed tests on a device connected to your router by WiFi or Ethernet cable?

Chris

Colinho
Conversation Starter

Chris 

Thank you for looking into this. Sorry, I was checking via a cable to an extender box. In the past I had 35/39 Mbps at this machine. I have just cabled direct into the router and do get ~39Mbps as you suggest. I have also just placed devices directly next to the router and only get ~10Mbps on wifi. I get similar results elsewhere in the house away from the router. This is without anyone else home. The download speed on wifi has therefore definitely dropped. Upload speed appears fine. I was going to try another router but cannot find the spare. Any thoughts? Thanks

Community Team

Hi Colinho, as I'm sure you're aware there are loads of things that could interfere with the performance of your wifi. It's possible a neighbour has a new router or has simply changed wireless channels to the one you're using or an electrical device could be misbehaving and causing interference. Has the router been moved or have other devices been installed near it? Have you tried changing the channel? Are all your devices the same? 

Colinho
Conversation Starter

Thanks Ady

Have analized wifi and changed channels. Neighbours (only 2) are on different channels, changing channels no improvement. No new devices or nearby electrical devices. Router in same place. As I say, even when checking wifi speed whilst placing device directly on the router nothing more than 10/12 Mbps download. As I said, upload speed is fine ~10Mbps. Had HG633 router nearly two years - would wifi download lessen?  Thanks

Community Team

Hi

I notice the 2 SSID's are still the same, could you change the SSID for the 5ghz channel and then connect to each one, the 2.4Ghz and the 5Ghz channel separately and see if one channel performs better or if they are both showing poor performance.

Thanks

Karl. 

Colinho
Conversation Starter

Thanks Karl

I think the SSID has always been the same (I have never touched it) but have change the 5Ghz name and bingo.... my daily work machine has shot back up to ~37Mbps as it was originally! As mentioned, this machine is cabled to an extender fed by wifi from the router. Wifi download next to the router just now is giving me ~37Mbs on 5Ghz and ~33 on 2.4Ghz. Away from the router, e.g. next to the extender it is ~12Mbps on 2.4Ghz and hardly a signal on 5Ghz (device-to-extender in 2.4GHz only and extender-to-router in 5GHz only) so I don't quite understand how the extender can then give out 37Mbps on cable?

Anyhow, thank you for your help once again.

Community Team

No Problem 🙂

Glad to help.

Karl 

Colinho
Conversation Starter

Karl

So, all was fine straight after I changed the SSID. A little while later, say 30mins, the wifi speeds had dropped and remained so. I have since realised that everytime I change a setting on the router (I have done this several times) and resave, the speed increases to how it was when we first received fibre. I guess the same as rebooting the router. 10 - 30mins later it all drops - it drops slowly then usually stabilises around 10Mbps but occasionally drops lower to say 3 or 4. I'm convinced there is an issue somewhere and as previously mentioned nothing has changed my end. Then I came across this thread and it's the same issue.... https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Fibre-Broadband/Reset-Router-to-Get-Speed-Back/td-p/2105604. 

Could you relook at this please and advise?

Thanks

Community Team

Hi Colinho,

Thanks for trying this and I'm sorry to hear that the speeds are still dropping. Have you ever tested with an alternative router? Would you like us to send a 3782 router for testing purposes to see how the connection compares?

Thanks

Colinho
Conversation Starter

Thanks Michelle

I would like to test another router so if you can send one through that'll be great.

Thanks

Community Team

Hi

A Dlink router is on the way.

Thanks

Karl. 

Colinho
Conversation Starter

Thanks. Will confirm how it goes.

Community Team

No Problem 🙂

Karl 

Colinho
Conversation Starter

Karl

Just a quick line to say I set up the received router and speeds have gone back up and appear stable, so looks promising. I will see how things progress over the next week or so.

Thanks

Community Team

Excellent, any further issues, just give our team a shout.

Karl

Roy124
Team Player

Can I jump on this one (haven't figured out how to open a new thread?

I have a very similar issue.  My router is a DSL3782.  W e had our faster fibre repaired in March and now have synch speeds of 13/47.  Initially we had downloads over Wi-Fi as high as 43mbps.  More usually it was high 30s.  It then gradually degraded to high 20s low 30s at the end of June.  It is now a stable 23-24.

Talktalk have been investigating but barely moved the speed.

Like the Op, we have two neighbours, my channe l and adjacent channels are not cluttered. No new devices have been introduced.  While we too have extenders I have checked the speed from the router with all extenders powered off.

My router has the latest firmware.  My question it whether the router performance fault.  I need to dig out a LAN cable for a final check.

Community Team

Hi

If you start your own thread (new message), wed love to help.

Weve found that posting in someone elses conversation makes it harder to follow when looking for an answer.

Its easier and quicker if we can chat with you in a single thread, if you start your own thread, that will keep our community organised and help others with a similar problem.

Check your home phone number or account number are also added to your Community Profile as that will really help us to find your details quicker.

Thanks

Karl

Roy124
Team Player

Late last night I lost Broadband over the 2.4GHz link.  Still shows a good signal but no data.  The 5GHz link and wired  both work but both at the same slower 23-24Mbps speed.

Roy124
Team Player
Karl, I would if I knew how!
I can't find how to start a new thread