Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Speed test shows good speed but web pages slow to load

22 REPLIES 22
lutami
Conversation Starter

For the past few weeks web pages are slow to load...speed test shows decent speeds although previously I was getting a download speed of 37 Mbps...now dropped down to 29 Mbps

I'm on Faster Fiber and have a 5G Wireless connection on my mac.

I've phoned through to TalkTalk and they did some sort of test and told me no issues.

Phone line is fine and even with nothing else connected I get quite a good deal of buffering if trying to stream anything...previously  had no speed problems even with iPad connected as well.

Gone through all the suggested fixes and nothing improves.

Appreciate any help with this please.

Edit: forgot to say the problem started after the storms a few weeks ago.

Community Team

Hi lutami,

I'm sorry to hear this. I've run a test on the line which hasn't detected a fault and the connection stats look ok.

Just to confirm, do you also experience the buffering on any wired devices or does this only affect wireless connections?

Thanks

lutami
Conversation Starter

Not able to test as use a mac Pro Retina and there's no wired Ethernet port onboard.

So Wireless connection only...Speed test from yesterday

Speed test this morning

Community Team

Hi lutami,

Have you recently tried a few different wireless channels to see how the connection compares?

Improving wireless performance 

Thanks

lutami
Conversation Starter

Okay thanks...taken some time to get around to change channels...didn't want to mess things up more 'til after the football finished...would have been in trouble :scream:

Anyway tried suggested channels and the highest speed I could get testing all of them was

So...gone back to Auto setting

Not really acceptable as speeds in May were usually

Speed does drop quite often now whereas it never used to...nothing has changed my end.

lutami
Conversation Starter

Not happy with this...just this minute run another speed test as pages are slow to load and buffering occuring

Community Team

Hi lutami,

Thanks for trying this and I'm sorry to hear that the speeds are still varying. Just to confirm, if you reboot the router do the speeds then increase?

Do you have an alternative router that you can test with to see how the speeds compare?

Thanks

lutami
Conversation Starter

Thankyou...had to change password to get in to change channels so had  to reset router as well as rebooting a couple of times and no I do not have an alternative router.

I have had trouble lately also with my wireless printer not picking up wireless signal...only picked it up after router rebooted...not all the time only occasionally...have spoken to Apple tech and HP about this and they both confirmed it was nothing to do with the printer or the mac but signal itself.

Community Team

Hi lutami, how close to the router are the devices that are struggling with signal? 

lutami
Conversation Starter

laptop

about 12 feet printer about 15 feet.

Just ran a speed test sitting next to router 

Community Team

Hi lutami

I can send a replacement router for testing, would you like me to arrange this?

Thanks

Debbie

lutami
Conversation Starter

Thankyou...pleased do.

Community Team

Hi lutami,

I've ordered a new router, should be with you within a couple of days but please allow up to 5 working days for delivery 

Thanks

Chris

lutami
Conversation Starter

Thankyou...appreciated.

Community Team

You Welcome 🙂

lutami
Conversation Starter

Okay I've been using this new router for over a week now and no change to speed...in fact at times it's slower...very frustrating at times trying to pay bills online when it times out constantly.

Previous router I could connect to 5G  I can't with this one...rang for tech help explained I was previously on 5G wanted to get it back with newer router...honestly don't think she knew what I was talking about because she said disconnect for ten minutes and when reconnected I would be on 5G...did so but still no 5G connection comes up.

Can I send this router back (details please) as I am connecting original one...Thankyou for your help but once my contract is up I will be changing ISP.

lutami
Conversation Starter

Used two different servers between 7 and 8 am this morning...exceptionally bad 😞
http://www.speedtest.net/result/7519557765.png
http://www.speedtest.net/result/7519559144.png

Community Team

Hi lutami,

I'm really sorry to hear this. Was this a different make and model to the previous router? Did you receive a router returns bag? Can I just confirm, are the speeds still ok but web pages are still slow to load?

I've re-run the line test which is still clear and the sync speed looks ok. Is it still not possible to test with a wired device to see if this is solely related to the wireless?

Have you ever tried splitting the SSID's? You could try splitting the SSIDs on your router and testing the connection between the 5gh channel and the 2gh channel, some phones operate better with just 1 channel selected.

Log into the router (192.168.1.1 etc ) and manually change the SSID (Wi Fi) name of the 5ghz channel.

We often find it is better to keep the 2 broadcast channels separate. For example, call one Home2Ghz and the other Home5Ghz. Some devices can drop the connection when the SSID's remain the same.

Also, you can try manually setting the wifi channel for each broadcast channel. Try channel 6 for the 2ghz channel and 44 for the 5ghz channel.

Give this a try, test with both SSID's and see if the connection improves.

Thanks

lutami
Conversation Starter

Okay thanks I'll try suggestions only I'm away for a few days and any family wont attempt it...will do it when I get back.

Speeds ok! ...no sorry they aren't as you can see by the speed test results...even had trouble loading speed tests this morning...disabled firewall and tried using different browser without a better result.

I use either the macbook pro or an iPad so no way to hard wire.

New router different to previous one...Huawei HG 633...

Hardware versionH.1.01

No never received a router returns bag.

lutami
Conversation Starter

I've spent over two hours this morning following suggestions in above posts and using optimal server to speed test... the best it gives on all tests is this
http://www.speedtest.net/result/7527394753.png

Considering that up until a couple of months ago speed was mostly stable at 34mb and at times reaching 37mb I'm changing back to old router where I at least get the option to connect to 5G on Network connection tab.

Slow page loads and buffering...timing out when trying to pay bills or access bank site is not good enough for Faster Fiber...and on top of all that I shouldn't have to spend hours trying to get previous speed back.
Thanks for trying to help but I'll just wait until end of contract and change ISP.
May I have a returns label for the test router you sent me please.