cancel
Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Teamviewer

Ant1234
Popular Poster

Thanks for response, are you asking TeamViewer to make code changes to their client? TeamViewer is pretty secure unless your an idiot.

Regards

Antony

jimilawson
Team Player
" but we will continue to block any sites/applications reported by customers to reduce the opportunity for fraud to take place."
Great !! What about the same consideration for customers who don't report any problems with sites/applications because they haven't had any.
I and no doubt a great many other customers have been using Teamviewer (via TalkTalk) for many years without any problems, now all of a sudden with no prior warning we can't and no one is saying how long (if at all) before we can use it again.
Corporations, Businesses and IT departments worldwide can use Teamviewer but Talktalk customers can't.
Extremely unsatisfactory customer service IMHO.
Jimi
GaryS
TalkTalk Team

Jim, Appreciate the frustrations, just trying to provide the details on the background.

The number of complaints we receive from customers regarding these tools through fraudulent activities is significant and as mentioned, a number of recommendations are with Teamviewer on how this can be resolved.

One quick question...are you using this to login to other machines on/off the TalkTalk network or  do you require someone to connect onto your machine?

AlanW57
Chatterbox

Same problem here, since yesterday. Teamviewer suddenly not connecting at all.

I'm an IT support engineer. I use Teamviewer to access client's computers to give remote support so this is more than just a little inconvenient. There are other remote support applications out there but what's to say those won't suddenly stop working via TalkTalk at some time in the future ?

This is completey unsatisfactory. If this can't be resolved then I'll have no alternative but to switch ISP and also recommend that my main clients do also.

mitty85
First Timer

are there any simular programs that are approved.. i have around 10 employes who use this daily for work..

AlanW57
Chatterbox

Same problem here, since yesterday. Teamviewer suddenly not connecting at all.

I'm an IT support engineer. I use Teamviewer to access client's computers to give remote support so this is more than just a little inconvenient. There are other remote support applications out there but what's to say those won't suddenly stop working via TalkTalk at some time in the future ?

This is completey unsatisfactory. If this can't be resolved then I'll have no alternative but to switch ISP and also recommend that my main clients do also.

Ant1234
Popular Poster

I use it to connect to WAN side machines. I do not have it installed in unattend / service mode locally. Also external machines have Two factor auth + local auth security on.

Can you share a link to this newly discovered security hole?

Cheers

Ant

AlanW57
Chatterbox

I can appreciate that there is fraudulent use of Teamviewer but it will mostly be done by the user installing Teamviewer on their computer after being instructed to do so by the fraudsters on the phone, and then granting them access. If you block Teamviewer then the fraudsters will simply switch to another similar remote control app and use that instead.

TonyW2
Super Duper Contributor

Blocking the use of Teamviewer to prevent some talktalk users from using it fo assist a scam being perpetrated on them is not a reasonable step.

The banks do not close off their on line banking because some customers are not savvy enough to ignore fraudsters.

Incidentally, I have had these scammers "offerring" other  remote control systems.

Ant1234
Popular Poster

Am I correct in remembering that TalkTalk got hacked and lost client information, hence why now talktalk clients are being targeted? This seems to ring a bell.

jimilawson
Team Player

I work away from home 3 weeks at at time, when I'm away I use Teamviewer to access my home network PC's (4 of) I also use it to render IT assistance to friends and relatives with PC problems.

A couple of years ago during the aftermath of the Talktalk hacking, when Talktalk blocked access to My Account from outside the TalkTalk network the only way I could access my account was using Teamviewer to remotely access my home PC.

I have it installed on all my PC's, 2 android tablets and my Andriod phone. and my work has it installed on all their PC's (because the coprorate IT dept uses it to remotely access the PC's)

As someone already commented Teamviewer is pretty secure unless you are being very careless about security

Stuboy
Wizz Kid

Same problem as everyone else here, plus probably another 1000 that haven't realised its talktalks problem. 

Please talktalk sort it out faster than ASAP!

Yours sincerly

Very annoyed customer!

Antagony
Conversation Starter

@GaryS wrote:

… we have recently blocked a number of sites and applications from our network, and we’re working hard to minimise the impact on our customers.

This policy is insane! I don't know about the other sites and apps you've blocked but TeamViewer is a major support tool with countless millions of people using it all over the world. I myself rely heavily on it to support customers in my small business. In fact, as a business user I had to pay quite a lot of money (for me) for the privilege, so it's particularly galling that I'm being blocked by my stupid ISP who are seemingly clueless as to how to implement appropriate measures to combat potential misuse.

Arbitrarily blocking an app like TeamViewer for everyone because it may pose a slight security risk for a few is akin to Ford preventing its car owners from driving on certain roads because there have been a few accidents on them. They would never do that because it's not their place to nanny their customers against their wills, AND NEITHER IS IT YOURS!

At the very least you should make adoption of these so called 'customer protections' optional. It may surprise you to learn that a great many of your customers know what they're doing – evidently quite a lot better than you do! – and don't want to be dictated to for their own good. It won't be to my own good if I lose valuable business due to this nonsense!

Ant1234
Popular Poster

It is at times like this when GigaNews or TunnelBear come in handy. Lets hope IPSec isn't blocked too

id2770
First Timer

This is a stupid response to block TeamViewer, that has upset and affected many TalkTalk ISP users. If you were that concerned about security, suerly it would be better to make sure that these hackers don't get the details of your clients in the first place.

VegaNovus
Popular Poster

Hi GaryS

You've moved the goal posts for your customers by blocking access to services which your customers (myself included) use.

I use TeamViewer to access my home PC from work.

You need to re-consider this blanket approach.

Does anybody know anything about legal procedures for leaving TalkTalk early for making contractual changes?

p_s_h
Chatterbox

TalkTalk, this is a stupid response to block Teamviewer or other sites, because of the stupidity of some users that have allowed others to gain access to their PCs because the hackers was using Teamviewer is not a global threat.  Teamviewer is secure, don't block it for all users because some dumb customers allowed themselves to be hacked.  What's stopping the hackers using another remote access programs, you going to block everything.  You need to make changes to the firmware of your routers so there is an option in there to block it and not just block it for everyone.  This is causing serious impact on people that rely on Teamviewer for work!!

MGB Fan
First Timer

I would like to add my voice to the others regarding this atrocious decision.

Will TalkTalk re-imburse me for the lost custom I will have as a support engineer?  Will they pay me for my subscription to Teamviewer now that I can no longer use it.

They must be this avaiable ASAP.

mrbjh1
Chatterbox

TalkTalk really are the dumbest.  

Who lost the data?  TalkTalk.

Whose fault is it people are getting scam called?  TalkTalk they were data breached.

Ho do TalkTalk respond?  Block customers from using Teamviewer.

How much notice did TalkTalk give customers to allow them to switch to a new provider if necessary?  None they didn't even bother to tell their customers of any changes.

What will the scammers do?  Use another remote desktop option.

gfaulds
Team Player

This is absolutely ridiculous.

I pay for a service to allow me to use the internet.

I have not opted in to allow you to block any legal applications and services because some of your customers are so naive they fall for simple phishing scams.