NEED SOME HELP?

We’re here 24/7. 365 days a year.
Ask questions. Find your answers. Connect.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tech Chat with online adviser community please read this transcript and what i was told at the end

AndyGerman
First Timer
Message 3 of 3
12:28, Nov 20
Info: Hi, welcome to TalkTalk. One of our agents will be with you shortly.

Changes to your account will only be made when confirmed in this chat.  If for any reason your chat ends before receiving confirmation, please chat back.

This conversation will be recorded for training and monitoring purposes and may be used in the future to help us deal with your queries quicker. To find out how we will use your data, visit talktalk.co.uk/privacy.
12:28, Nov 20
Info: You are now through to Olona. How can I help you?
12:29, Nov 20
Andy german: Hello I received my new hub and got connected but i need to set up DHCP reservations on the hub and i cant see where to do it?
12:30, Nov 20
Olona: 
Good afternoon Andy, you have come through to Olona in the Technical Team. I am so sorry to hear that you are having an issue with your Hub. Thank you for bringing this to my attention, I know this can be stressful and upsetting but I will do my best to ensure that by the end of this chat your issue is resolved.
12:30, Nov 20
Olona: 
Please give me a moment whilst I look in to your account .
12:32, Nov 20
Olona: 
To have a clearer understanding of the issue that you have reported or currently experiencing, I'm going to ask you a series of questions so that I will carry out the relevant checks to ensure that I provide a suitable and long term resolution.
12:33, Nov 20
Olona: 
Please confirm which device are you using ?
12:33, Nov 20
Andy german: The Router that you sent me when i login to teh router i need to set DHCP reservations for CCTV
12:36, Nov 20
Olona: 
So you cannot connect to the internet ?
12:36, Nov 20
Andy german: yes im fully connected no problem could i chat with technical support ?
12:37, Nov 20
Olona: 
You are through to the technical department .
12:37, Nov 20
Andy german: ok good then you will know what im asking for ?
12:38, Nov 20
Olona: 
I am still trying to understand what you are talking about hence I am asking you questions .
12:38, Nov 20
Andy german: i need to add DHCP reservations for staic ip address on the router for CCTV
12:39, Nov 20
Andy german: this is what i asked previously The Router that you sent me when i login to teh router i need to set DHCP reservations for CCTV
12:41, Nov 20
Olona: 
Press windows key and key at the same time.Then click at Command Prompt.Type ipconfig /release at the prompt window, press Enter, it will release the current IP configuration.Type ipconfig /renew at the prompt window, press Enter, wait for a while, the DHCP server will assign a new IP address for your router.
12:44, Nov 20
Andy german: you are clearly not a in tech support i have a current ip address assigned to teh laptop i am using i login to the router 192.168.1.1 i then want to assign static ip address to device that re on the network using there mac address but it looks like the router that i have been sent does not allow this im a new customer and have 30 days to cancel this and this request is a very simple technical question
12:45, Nov 20
Olona: 
Please give me a moment ...
12:49, Nov 20
Olona: 
Thank you for holding . Please confirm which router you are using
12:49, Nov 20
Andy german: its a brand new router that you have sent me it does not have any model number on it
12:51, Nov 20
Olona: 
Open your browser and type in 192.168.1.1 to go to the router admin page. Login with your router username and password; these are on the sticker underneath the removable settings card on back of your Wi-Fi Hub. Click the See internet settingsbutton on the Dashboard page. Now click the Manage advanced settings button. Select Access Control. Select the Add Rule tab and scroll down to Add Rules Manually. Type in the port forwarding details for your chosen application or device.  
12:53, Nov 20
Andy german: OMG I'done the port forwarding but i need to set the DHCP staic ip address so that the port forward knows what staic ip address to forward to
12:54, Nov 20
Andy german: This is DHCP reservations not port forwarding
12:56, Nov 20
Olona: 
I don't really get what you are talking about .
12:57, Nov 20
Andy german: Ask any Technical Support agent that knows about DHCP
Andy german: Could you email me this chat log please
Olona: 
We do not support CCTV so you need business line in order to be able to connect to it not a residential line .
12:58, Nov 20
Andy german: its a technical question about the router that you have supplied every router has this option
12:59, Nov 20
Andy german: ok if i wanted a static ip address for my laptop from the DHCP pool on the router it would be the same question as its just a device that gets the same IP address each time it starts up
13:00, Nov 20
Olona: 
The IP address is already provided.
13:01, Nov 20
Andy german: yes but not a static ip address i need to know how to configure the router they yo have supplied to do this
13:01, Nov 20
Olona: 
DHCP can only be supplied to a business account .
13:03, Nov 20
Andy german: lol DHCP is something that all routers have and when a devices connects to a router wired or wireless it gets a DHCP address from the DHCP pool or nothing would work So DHCP Supplied to Business account is an unbeliveable answer
13:04, Nov 20
Olona: 
We do not support CCTV so you need business line in order to be able to connect to it not a residential line .
13:04, Nov 20
Andy german: Could you please Email me the chat transcript please....ok forget the CCTV how do i get a static ip address for my laptop from teh router
13:05, Nov 20
Olona: 
You can have a copy of this chat emailed to you by clicking on the plus button on the bottom left of your chat window, then selecting the 'email transcript' option.
13:06, Nov 20
Andy german: ok thank you how do i get a static ip address for my laptop from teh router
13:06, Nov 20
Olona: 
Press windows key and key at the same time. Then click at Command Prompt.Type ipconfig /release at the prompt window, press Enter, it will release the current IP configuration.Type ipconfig /renew at the prompt window, press Enter, wait for a while, the DHCP server will assign a new IP address for your router.
13:08, Nov 20
Andy german: that will only give me a new pool address i need a static one from the router this is an option that should be available on the router so that the device i have specified using its MAC address gets teh same ip address each time it starts up i want a static ip address for me laptop
13:09, Nov 20
Andy german: I can clearly see that I will not get the technical support i need so i will will cancel the new installation
0 Likes
2 REPLIES 2

Message 1 of 3

Hi its anew installation so yes a new router and this is all i was asking the tech advisor ...I have a number of devices that require static ip addresses and use port forwarding thats crazy that a router does port forwarding roules but does not allow you to set static ip addresses i'll have to cancel the service after the 30 days

0 Likes

mcazjoe
Conversation Starter
Message 2 of 3

Hi andygerman

If you have the new wifi hub you cannot assign static ip.