NEED SOME HELP?

We’re here 24/7. 365 days a year.
Ask questions. Find your answers. Connect.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tech advice setting up a WiFi network using two routers

neil_c
Chatterbox
Message 8 of 8

Hi

I don’t know if anyone can help - I’m trying to set up a second router in part of my house which has weak WiFi due to distance from my master router. I’ve looked at a number of instructions online, but still can’t get it to work! The details are as follows:

Master router - TalkTalk WiFi Hub FAST 5364

Slave router - TalkTalk Huawei HG633

I have connected the two routers via Cat 5 cable/sockets/leads and plugged the leads into the first LAN port of each router. I have disabled DHCP on the slave router, and made sure the DHCP on the master router is enabled. I have given the slave router a different IP address and made the SSID and passkey the same on both routers.

All’s fine until I plug in the slave router, and that stops the internet working altogether.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

0 Likes
7 REPLIES 7

neil_c
Chatterbox
Message 1 of 8

Thank you all for the replies. Unfortunately I've had no luck, so I've ordered up a TP-Link access point - hopefully I'll fare better with that!

0 Likes

Message 2 of 8

Hi

I've 2 routers currently.   I did have the HG633 and now have the WiFi hub downstairs and a TP Link Router upstairs, linked via ethernet cable.

Made no changes to the wifi hub, and only changes I've made to the router upstairs are to change the DHCP Range to 192.168.10.x

Thanks

Karl. 

0 Likes

Message 3 of 8
I have not tried it with TT, but at my Thai property this worked.

First router 192.168.1.1 with DHCP range starting at 10

Second router fixed IP of 192.168.1.2 with DHCP disabled

All WiFi SSIDs are different so I can see where I am connected for testing purposes, passwords all the same.

Not sure where I found it, but an article advised that the slave router acting as an access point should be allocated a fixed IP address OUTWITH the DHCP range of the main router.
0 Likes

Message 4 of 8

Yes, I rebooted both routers once everything was connected. Internet connection lasted a short while before disappearing from both routers.

0 Likes

Message 5 of 8

Did you reboot the HG633 after changing the IP address?

0 Likes

Message 6 of 8

Hi Keith

Thank you for your reply. IP addresses as follows:

Master 192.168.1.1

Slave 192.168.1.100

Not sure what you mean by the network. They’re connected with a Cat 5 cable and I’ve made the SSIDs the same on both routers.

TalkTalk tech advice have come back saying it’s impossible, but I don’t believe this. They say “the system detects that both routers are primary routers and gets confused where to allocate the IP address”.

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Message 7 of 8

This should be easy as the HG633 does not even need to be put into Bridge mode, unlike most routers. What IP address have you given the HG633, is it on the same network as the Wi-Fi Hub?

0 Likes