Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

The WAN DHCP client process has failed on Vlan 36

61 REPLIES 61
Highlighted
Team Player

Hi All

I've recently moved to TalkTalk broadband and have had internet connection issues from my Go Live date.

I'm using the Wireless Router provided by TalkTalk and the maintenance log keeps showing this error: "The WAN DHCP client process has failed on Vlan 36". 

Troubleshooting attempts:

-Router power cycle (no resolution)

-Router factory reset (no resolution)

-Bright Spark engineer did a line check and came back FAIL

-2 tech support agents did line check and came back PASS

What does "The WAN DHCP client process has failed on Vlan 36" mean and what is the cause of this error? TalkTalk tech support has repeatably failed to help and I cannot find any help thread on the TalkTalk forums or wider internet.

Cheers

Josh

Highlighted
Community Star

VLAN 36 is not used by residential customer installations, are you therefore a TalkTalk Business customer?

Highlighted
Super Duper Contributor

vlan 101 for residential fibre customers, have you tried setting the vlan to that? or alternatively, factory reset the router back to standard so that it's back to where it should be / was originally?

Highlighted
Team Player

@KeithFrench wrote:

VLAN 36 is not used by residential customer installations, are you therefore a TalkTalk Business customer?

Hi Keith

Thanks for the fast reply.

I'm a residential customer, not a business customer.

Cheers

Josh

Highlighted
Team Player

@stuart_smiles1 wrote:

vlan 101 for residential fibre customers, have you tried setting the vlan to that? or alternatively, factory reset the router back to standard so that it's back to where it should be / was originally?

Hi Stuart

Thanks for the fast reply.

The VLAN is set to 101. I also did a factory reset yesterday and haven't changed any of the settings since.

I have a new router from TalkTalk due to arrive soon. I really hope that fixes the problem because I've been strung a long for a few weeks now and they delayed me long enough so that I am outside of the cooling off period.

Cheers

Josh

Highlighted
Super Duper Contributor

ensure you log a call with the voice support team and ensure you get reference numbers so that you can quote them later. make sure you have the reference numbers and ask for the loyalty team, so you can tell them if you aren't happy they are aware you weren't happy during the cooling off period, and follow advice to comply with fault finding issues so that you can demonstrate later either it worked or it didn't

Highlighted
Team Player
Good advice.

Thanks Stuart!
Highlighted
Super Duper Contributor

does your phone line work? does the ethernet out of the back of the router work - wireless isn't great, and the router can drop connection every 20 minutes or so, so don't know if it doesn't connect, or is just not working all the time... 

Highlighted
Super Duper Contributor

what do the logssay and would you be inclined to post them so that others / the OCE's (talktalk online support) can see what they say about your connection

Highlighted
Team Player

@stuart_smiles1 wrote:

does your phone line work? does the ethernet out of the back of the router work - wireless isn't great, and the router can drop connection every 20 minutes or so, so don't know if it doesn't connect, or is just not working all the time... 

I don't have a landline phone so I can't test that capability.

I haven't tried connecting to the ethernet port on the router however when I log into the modem itself, it says that there is no connection to the internet. I'll try to test the ethernet port.

Highlighted
Team Player

@stuart_smiles1 wrote:

what do the logssay and would you be inclined to post them so that others / the OCE's (talktalk online support) can see what they say about your connection

Below is the two most recent log pages. A few pages before these have many instances of "The WAN DHCP client process has failed on Vlan 36". I tried manually setting the DNS to the Google DNS but that didn't help.

Date/Time

Severity

Module

01.01.2013 00:03:03

Error

DHCPC

01.01.2013 00:03:15

Info

SYS

Modem login was successful

01.01.2013 00:05:47

Info

WIFI

Device <84:16:F9:0F:54:77> was disconnected on SSID (Device/WiFi/SSIDs/SSID[WL_VIDEO_5G])

01.01.2013 00:06:05

Error

DHCPC

01.01.2013 00:09:07

Error

DHCPC

01.01.2013 00:12:09

Error

DHCPC

01.01.2013 00:15:11

Error

DHCPC

01.01.2013 00:15:37

Info

WIFI

Channel: (11/1) Channel Hopping initiated/Manually initiated

01.01.2013 00:17:46

Info

WIFI

A WiFi device <84:16:F9:0F:54:77> has successfully connected to SSID (Device/WiFi/SSIDs/SSID[WL_VIDEO_5G])

01.01.2013 00:18:04

Info

SYS

01.01.2013 00:18:13

Error

DHCPC

01.01.2013 00:19:09

Info

DHCPC

The WAN DHCP client IP address 88.104.23.48

01.01.2013 00:19:10

Info

UPNP

UPnP functionality has been deactivated (manually)

01.01.2013 00:19:10

Info

UPNP

UPnP functionality has been activated

01.01.2013 00:19:12

Info

SYS

TR-069 connectivity to (acs.talktalk.co.uk) has been initiated

01.01.2013 00:19:14

Info

SYS

TR-069 connectivity to (acs.talktalk.co.uk) has been closed

01.07.2018 22:37:20

Info

WIFI

Channel: (1/11) Channel Hopping initiated/Manually initiated

01.07.2018 22:41:28

Info

SYS

A device reset was performed (GUI/Button)

01.07.2018 22:41:35

Info

WIFI

Device <84:16:F9:0F:54:77> was disconnected on SSID (Device/WiFi/SSIDs/SSID[WL_VIDEO_5G])

01.01.2013 00:00:15

Info

SYS

The Modem underwent a warm reset

Date/Time

Severity

Module

Info

SYS

The Modem has successfully powered up

Info

WIFI

Channel: (0/11) Channel Hopping initiated/Manually initiated

Info

WIFI

Channel: (0/36) Channel Hopping initiated/Manually initiated

01.01.2013 00:00:19

Info

WIFI

WLAN has been activated (TALKTALKB3A787) (band : 2.4GHz).

Info

WIFI

WLAN has been activated (TALKTALKB3A787) (band : 5GHz).

Info

DHCPS

The LAN DHCP Server is active

01.01.2013 00:00:20

Info

DNS

DNS name resolution is now active

01.01.2013 00:00:25

Info

UPNP

UPnP functionality has been activated

01.01.2013 00:00:27

Info

WIFI

Channel: (11/1) Channel Hopping initiated/Manually initiated

01.01.2013 00:00:53

Info

XDSL

VDSL connectivity is up port 1

01.01.2013 00:00:55

Info

DHCPC

The WAN DHCP client process has successfully been launched on Vlan 36

01.01.2013 00:03:04

Error

DHCPC

01.01.2013 00:04:53

Info

WIFI

A WiFi device <84:16:F9:0F:54:77> has successfully connected to SSID (Device/WiFi/SSIDs/SSID[WL_VIDEO_5G])

01.01.2013 00:05:09

Info

SYS

01.01.2013 00:06:06

Error

DHCPC

Highlighted
Super Duper Contributor

plug a phone in - buy one from local supermarket and leave it plugged in. there seems to be a keepalive that requires a phone to be plugged in, so that the phone line understands that it's working and not broken. 

can get one for a tenner from argos or other supermarket/ b&m. plug it in, dial own phone, speaking clock (123) and 17070 (local line number announcement)/bt test phone number and leave it in. check for a noise on the line when you ring your mobile - silent line test - listen for crackles/beeps etc on the line or talking from others (crosstalk). then ring the call centre and ask for a line test, so that they can see that the phone is on the end and then reset the line card / get it done overnight. hopefully the fibre should work in the morning, now knowing that the phone service is working, the card for the fibre also knows to work too. 

good luck. 

make sure the call is logged, so that you can ensure there is a timeline to a resolution, also if it needs to be escalated to bt openreach, you should get another call reference number as well. make sure you insist on asking what the call reference number is - so that you know that it has actually been logged (whilst on the phone), so that it doesn't get forgotten about... 

Highlighted
Super Duper Contributor

the vlan 36 bit is unusual compared to standard router - ask an oce to look at it, I am sure they will ask you to do a pinhole reset on the router  - put a paperclip in the reset hole when the router is booting for about 30 seconds and it should reset, becoming blank again. hopefully the config should be back to it's original settings. 

https://help2.talktalk.co.uk/how-do-i-restore-my-router-factory-settings 

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi kronos319,

Can you complete your Community Profile and we'll be happy to take a look at this for you

Chris

Highlighted
Team Player
Morning Chris.

I've updated my community profile. Let me know if you need anything else.

Cheers
Josh
Highlighted
Team Player

@stuart_smiles1 wrote:

plug a phone in - buy one from local supermarket and leave it plugged in. there seems to be a keepalive that requires a phone to be plugged in, so that the phone line understands that it's working and not broken. 

can get one for a tenner from argos or other supermarket/ b&m. plug it in, dial own phone, speaking clock (123) and 17070 (local line number announcement)/bt test phone number and leave it in. check for a noise on the line when you ring your mobile - silent line test - listen for crackles/beeps etc on the line or talking from others (crosstalk). then ring the call centre and ask for a line test, so that they can see that the phone is on the end and then reset the line card / get it done overnight. hopefully the fibre should work in the morning, now knowing that the phone service is working, the card for the fibre also knows to work too. 

good luck. 

make sure the call is logged, so that you can ensure there is a timeline to a resolution, also if it needs to be escalated to bt openreach, you should get another call reference number as well. make sure you insist on asking what the call reference number is - so that you know that it has actually been logged (whilst on the phone), so that it doesn't get forgotten about... 

Thanks for the advice. I'll give it a shot and post back the results.

Highlighted

Hi kronos319,

Looks as though the router is out for deliver today, has it arrived yet?

Thanks

Chris

Highlighted
Team Player

@OCE_Chris wrote:

Hi kronos319,

Thanks

Chris

I'll be home soon so I'll check and let you know.

Cheers 

Josh 

Highlighted

OK, thanks 🙂

Highlighted
Team Player

@OCE_Chris wrote:

Hi kronos319,

Thanks

Chris

Hi Chris

The router could not be delivered by UKMail. I called UKMail and they advised that only TalkTalk (being the sender) could amend the delivery address. I checked their website and tracked the parcel and had no option to specify my desired amended delivery address.

Ideally, I want the parcel sent to a collection point or my work address. 

Cheers

Josh