NEED SOME HELP?

We’re here 24/7. 365 days a year.
Ask questions. Find your answers. Connect.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

fibre broadband speed been dropping for months with no resolution

combtalk1
Participant
Message 36 of 36

as you can see our talktalk has been slowing for months almost linearly over time. first noticed it in about june (2018) when it had dropped to approx 10mpbs. it then dropped to about 9mpbs about a week later.

contacted talktalk (via live chat and mobile phone) and they did all the usual checks firstly asking if we had switched router on/off repeatedly over 24 hours periods. we said we had so they wondered about sync problems. we only ever use one device at a time with wired ethernet cable connection to the HG633 router.

they did line voltage checks etc and it passed.

we had to do the panel off the wall checks & everything is ok there.

they did the router reflash check where we had to reset or switch off router and no problems there.

we have repeated this procedure about 3 times with talktalk and no solution found.

finally they did ask us to leave router on for 48 hours in about late june and we left it on for nearly a week. unfortunately we coudnt contact talktalk back on that occasion.

last several days we contacted talk talk again. they did same old checks again line voltage, asking if we'd swithed router on/off etc. no solution found. last time we contacted talk talk (through live chat) was sunday 16th and they asked us to leave router on for 48 hours and would do a call back for monday 17th. No call back was received from talktalk by us and the router has been left on for about 38hours .

So weve been through everything several times with no proper assistance or solutions from talktalk.

download speeds are about 1.9mbps

upload 0.6mbps.

this talktalk service so far is just utter rubbish. it looks as if its obviously the exchange and or cabinet where theres a fault and talk talk have done nothing about it except pretend everytime we contact them that weve never spoken to them before.

so talk talk can you please go to source (probably cabinet and or exchange) where it really is.

thankyou for you attention!

35 REPLIES 35

Message 1 of 36

Hi combtalk1

Are you experiencing any issues with the HG633?

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 2 of 36

hello,

i was just writing to say that we had sent back the new router (Dlink DSL 3782) last weekend that you sent throught to us and kept the original huawei HG633. we have done this because we have noticed reports that the Dlink DSL 3782 has had some problems with login authentication vulnerability.

thanks

0 Likes

Message 3 of 36

Hi combtalk1

Thanks for your reply.

Please can you continue to monitor the connection and let us know how you get on.

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 4 of 36

hi thanks oce michelle,

i think ive solved it.

i noticed this last night. the router (hg633) was shwing when you logged into it (192.168.1.1)

that on broadband linwe quality information:

uploadstream 4198 kbit/s

downloadstream 23078kbit/s

however when i checked online with many different broadbans speed test sites an average download of about 3.5 to 4.5 mbps. however upload showed 3.8mbps on all sites. this includes tt.care speedtest.

so there was a large discrepency between download rates on speedtest sites and the router line information via 192.168.1.1. However, upload router agreed roughly with speedtest sites.

i wondered if there was some sort of sync problem. ive been testing all tonight also and again the same discrepancy between router info and speedtest sites showed only on downlaod rates.

anyway ive just switched the router off & back on. notced router 192.168.1.1 showed about 28000kbit/s. i went to speedtest sites and its back. sites including tt.care now showing approx:

download 24.5mbps

upload 4.8mbps

so that was it....some sort of sync problem (hg633). it looks as if the hg633 hasnt continuously maintained the sync and got caught out?

i as wrong and TalkTalk looks good. please accept my appology im sorry.  line data speed v good.

0 Likes

Message 5 of 36

Hi combtalk1,

I'm really sorry to hear this. Could you run another wired speed test using the TalkTalk Speed Tester so our Network Team can see the throughput speeds and I can pass this straight back over to our Network Team for further investigation to see what the next step is.

Did the engineer advise where the fault was?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 6 of 36

so, ive looked again today at the download speed and its dropped to 3.8mpbs. thats down from yesterdays 21.4mpbs. THIS IS RIDICULOUS.

there is no way that the dlm has drooped it that far automatically and it seems obvious that someone is MALICIOUSLY altering the dlm to drop it so much it such a short time. its either that or the service is very poor.

now what?

0 Likes

Message 7 of 36

Hi combtalk1

Thanks for keeping us updated. DLM will still be monitoring the connection.

If you post back on this thread on Thursday then we can check the connection stats again.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 8 of 36

hello,

the problem seems to have been resolved and the dlm reset was done.

however looking at it las night and today there seems to have been some drop on download again from 24mbps to 20mbps. so i am going to keep monitoring it over the next week or so.

0 Likes

Message 9 of 36

Hi combtalk1 

The engineer visit has been arranged for Friday 5th PM (1pm - 6pm)

Please let us know how you get on following this visit.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 10 of 36

Hi combtalk1 

I've passed your availability over to our Network Team and I will post back on this thread to confirm the date and time of this visit.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 11 of 36

hello again,

our availability times will be monday,wednesday,friday any week on 1pm tp 6pm slots.

awaiting your reply.

0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 12 of 36

Hi combtalk1,

I'm really sorry, there looks like there was a system error when the appointment was booked. Would you be able to provide some more availability and we can get this re-booked for you ASAP.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 13 of 36

Hi combtalk1,

I've contacted our Network Team now and I'll let you know as soon as I know more.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 14 of 36

hello oce chris,

yes we will be ready for this appointment. However, i would like to say there appears to have been a foul up here as we received a phone call on mobile this morning saying that an engineer had been and coul not resolve the problem. However, we were in the house all the time and no engineers have been here this morning. so i will take it that this phone call was wrong and awaiting the visit tomorrow wednesday 3rd oct 1pm to 6pm.

p.s. please also note that someone else has been on this thread and posting their problems on it.

0 Likes

Message 15 of 36

Will do

0 Likes

Message 16 of 36

Hi VirtuaMcPolygon

If you start your own thread (new message), wed love to help.

Weve found that posting in someone elses conversation makes it harder to follow when looking for an answer.

Its easier and quicker if we can chat with you in a single thread, if you start your own thread, that will keep our community organised and help others with a similar problem.

Check your home phone number or account number are also added to your Community Profile as that will really help us to find your details quicker.

Thanks

Karl

0 Likes

Message 17 of 36

Hi combtalk1,

Our network team have booked the engineer visit for tomorrow (Wed) PM (13:00-18:00) - please let us know how you get on

Chris

0 Likes

VirtuaMcPolygon
Team Player
Message 18 of 36

I've also been experiencing drastic thottling issues with my Fast Fibre unlimited connection which has been ongoing now for months. I VPN into work and TalkTalk have been throttling my connection down to 6-8mbps download and 1-2mbps upload in the mornings until 5pm. 

It's not on as I picked talktalk mainly for the unlimted fast upload speeds as I need this for work.

Also my work vpn isn't the problem as I'm being throttled regardless if I've VPN'ed into work or not.

Not impressed. 

0 Likes

Message 19 of 36

Thanks, I've passed on your availability to our network team, we'll let you know when we receive confirmation of the date booked

Thanks

Chris

0 Likes

Message 20 of 36

hello.

we have said to go ahead with the visit and our availabilty times are monday, wednesday friday in the 1pm tp 6pm slots.

is this ok

0 Likes